Researchers: "Our entire society is perfectly designed to create Type 2 diabetes"

A Bomb

Researchers who study Type 2 diabetes have reached a stark conclusion: There is no device, no drug powerful enough to counter the effects of poverty, pollution, stress, a broken food system, cities that are hard to navigate on foot and inequitable access to health care, particularly in minority communities.

It’s about massive federal subsidies that support producing ingredients that go into low-cost, energy-dense, ultra-processed and sugar-loaded foods, the unfettered marketing of junk food to children, suburban sprawl that demands driving over walking or biking — all the forces in the environment that some of us have the resources to buffer ourselves against, but people with low incomes don’t,” Dr. Schillinger said.

“We feel impotent as doctors because we don’t have the tools to tackle the social conditions people are grappling with,” he added.

“Being born into poverty should not determine whether you have access to food, or green space, or an educational system that works.”

It calls for reframing the epidemic as a social, economic and environmental problem, and offers a series of detailed fixes, ranging from improving access to healthy food and clean water to rethinking the designs of communities, housing and transportation networks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/health/diabetes-prevention-diet.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2022-01/NCCC Report to Congress.pdf

Was just talking about this with a friend. Car dependency is the absolute worst and because usa’s regulation it’s not gonna end

It's all intentional too. The USA is capitalism's truest form realized.

I mean its cheaper to buy a pack of Gummy bears or a bag of chips than a fresh pack of strawberries so yeah. It makes sense.

*american, not our, fix the title pls

Glad I live in London where there is plenty I can walk to and there's almost always easy access to green space, even in deprived areas

2 hours ago, Otter said:

Glad I live in London where there is plenty I can walk to and there's almost always easy access to green space, even in deprived areas

Which is basically all of Europe :giraffe:

OT: North American cities SUCK unless you what to be glued to your car seat.

When there’s a McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC on every high street and gas station now, and Supermarkets front of shop selling dairy, candy and fizzy drinks. It’s hard wired and geared towards eating this type of food. No amount of exercise can cure that. Then the healthcare systems and pharmaceuticals profit off this.  Whoever designed this framework is looking up at up sneering whilst his estate continues to make bank. 

also on DoorDash and other food delivery apps, a restaurant can now just self-select into the "Healthy" category, and 90% of those restaurants have no business being mentioned in the same sentence as the word "health"

just because there are vegetables in your DoorDash order doesn't mean you're eating healthy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.