• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovett

• Venom

• Nutitle

• Chiidish

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got to watch it and I liked it! They did a good job with most of the casting, can't wait for season 2 & 3

As a huge fan of the original, my expectations for this were extremely low, but it was surprisingly pretty good.

Visually it was absolutely stunning, it definitely looked like they spent $15M/episode.  The writing was mostly pretty solid, especially for Zuko's arc (which was always the most compelling storyline anyway).  I appreciated just how much they pulled from the animated version, even if it was a bit jumbled around.

Zuko, Sokka, and Iroh were perfectly cast and all did fantastic.  The kid playing Aang did good too (though Aang still annoyed me).

I personally had no issue with Azula.  I appreciated that they brought her in early to better develop her character, and the lightning-bending was the highlight of the season for me.  I think with two years to grow, the actress will do even better in S2-3.

Katara...........................................

Absolutely atrocious.  Which is so sad considering Katara is such a phenomenal, compelling, complex character in the original.  This girl was completely flat, had no emotion EVER, and looked dead in the eyes the entire time.  I honestly think the only way to save Katara (the character) is to recast.  No amount of acting lessons can fix that.

But overall, a very pleasant surprise!  Looking forward to S2!  Can't WAIT to see more of Azula ******* **** up :duca: 

On 4/6/2024 at 12:23 AM, Miles. said:

As a huge fan of the original, my expectations for this were extremely low, but it was surprisingly pretty good.

Visually it was absolutely stunning, it definitely looked like they spent $15M/episode.  The writing was mostly pretty solid, especially for Zuko's arc (which was always the most compelling storyline anyway).  I appreciated just how much they pulled from the animated version, even if it was a bit jumbled around.

Zuko, Sokka, and Iroh were perfectly cast and all did fantastic.  The kid playing Aang did good too (though Aang still annoyed me).

I personally had no issue with Azula.  I appreciated that they brought her in early to better develop her character, and the lightning-bending was the highlight of the season for me.  I think with two years to grow, the actress will do even better in S2-3.

Katara...........................................

Absolutely atrocious.  Which is so sad considering Katara is such a phenomenal, compelling, complex character in the original.  This girl was completely flat, had no emotion EVER, and looked dead in the eyes the entire time.  I honestly think the only way to save Katara (the character) is to recast.  No amount of acting lessons can fix that.

But overall, a very pleasant surprise!  Looking forward to S2!  Can't WAIT to see more of Azula ******* **** up :duca: 

Katara's script was BAD. Ignore the acting and the visuals and just try and imagine the text. Where's the feminist energy? Where's the rage? Why is she so subdued to Sokka? It literally makes NO sense, it's a completely different character

On 2/26/2024 at 1:39 PM, Haze said:

I've watched two episodes. They were really in a damned if I do, damned if I don't scenario because the show is good whenever it doesn't merely follow the animated series but carves out its own identity, yet suffers when it tries to recreate the fantastic source material. Yet people were up in arms from the most minor changes online, so i can understand that the show feels uneven in tone -- it could've been great had they gone in a more mature direction.

I wish people would realise an adaptation only works when it makes changes to fit the new medium. The animated series still exists, you can always go back to it. Nobody is doing any damage to the source material.

One thing these shows need to work out is how to age clothes. I hate how pristine everyone looks. 

When Netflix added Avatar, it was top 10 in every country for months. People want to see iconic imagery recreated by real people. 

Their changes actually worked against the medium. The way they handled the air nomads was oddly paced. By introducing that so soon, they lose their sense of perfect paradise. In the og, we saw the air nomads through Aang; a remembered paradise. This illusion is lost and instead we see how lowkey goofy the whole thing actually was.

Sokka and Katara's boat scene just lost a lot of its magnitude due to dialogue changes. Sokka's personality is also really uncomfortable because Katara doesn't fight back against him, same goes for Suki. The original show was incredibly empowering for femininity. I would say it's one of the cornerstones of the show and by far the most interesting plot point of season 1 for any children's show out there.

Why did they make Bumi mad at Aang? He's a wise old man in the original that acts crazy, he's the only human friend Aang has left from his timeline. Both Aang and Bumi were so serious in the live action. Bumi is not an idiot, yet the LA portrayed him that way by not making him understand Aang instantly. You're telling me one of the main horsemen of the white lotus couldn't instantly tell something must have happened to Aang for him to have remained the same age? BS

They mixed and matched too many storylines together and ruined not only the pacing but also the entire characterization of several characters.

Bumi is mad at Aang like that sailor was mad at Aang. Azula gets introduced early and it takes away from Zuko's appeared threat level. The entire point of season 1's finale reveal of Azula was that Zuko really was the least of their worries now. It was menacing. It enthiced danger. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just finished. Overall very cute! Some CGI was wonky but it's alright. 

Sokka was the best actor in it

Edited by Almodusa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.