Mariah now at 73 million albums certified in the US - #1 among females, thoughts?

stevyy

RIAA:

1990 - 9xP - Mariah Carey
1991 - 4xP - Emotions
1992 - 4xP - MTV Unplugged
1993 - 10xP - Music Box
1994 - 8xP - Merry Christmas
1995 - 11xP - Daydream
1997 - 5xP - Butterfly
1998 - 5xP - #1's
1999 - 3xP - Rainbow

2001 - 1xP - Glitter
2001 - 2xP - Greatest Hits
2002 - 1xP - Charmbracelet
2003 - Gold - The Remixes
2005 - 7xP - The Emancipation of Mimi
2008 - 1xP - E=MC²
2009 - 1xP - Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel

2010 - Gold - Merry Christmas II You

Is it a slay? Or slé and also why?

15 Platinum albums, the Queen!

16 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

How long til she has 4 diamond albums :deadvision:

3 diamond albums. Her debut won't get there well maybe if one thing happens but i don't want that to happen.

54 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

How long til she has 4 diamond albums :deadvision:

probably a year after she dies

The Remixes and MCIIYou should go platinum too eventually and I’m sure E=MC2 is eligible for 2x plat. 

39 minutes ago, Trav said:

probably a year after she dies

I read this and "praying after she dies" :rip:

38 minutes ago, LastGreatBloodline said:

Merry Christmas coming for diamond this year :jonny5: and debut sometime this millennium :jonny5: 

:jonnycat:

I don't think you can really compare certifications achieved via streaming to those achieved with pure sales so Mariah has a definite advantage over Barbra. 

Overall Barbras total is more impressive than Mariahs, seeing as Barbras is practically all pure sales. 

1 hour ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I don't think you can really compare certifications achieved via streaming to those achieved with pure sales so Mariah has a definite advantage over Barbra. 

Overall Barbras total is more impressive than Mariahs, seeing as Barbras is practically all pure sales. 

how is it Mariah's fault that Barbra couldn't adapt to the changing music market? :rip: if anything, Mariah's staying power and ability to transition to a different market of music consumption despite being a legacy act should be lauded. 

4 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

how is it Mariah's fault that Barbra couldn't adapt to the changing music market? :rip: if anything, Mariah's staying power and ability to transition to a different market of music consumption despite being a legacy act should be lauded. 

Not really. You wouldn't really expect Barbra to be going viral on tic toc. She is also almost 90 so Mariah has a clear advantage. 

3 hours ago, stevyy said:

RIAA:

2010 - Gold - Merry Christmas II You

Is it a slay? Or slé and also why?

Thank you playlists and streaming. 

11 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

well i mean lets not act like Mariah doesnt have age, recent and relevant nostalgia and a whole different catalog of hits/career than Barbra. If anything, the fact that its only until 2019 that Mariah over took her is the real slay in the whole conversation.

OT: not surprised at all its what happens when you are relevant and have a successful and beloved catalog!

17 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Not really. You wouldn't really expect Barbra to be going viral on tic toc. She is also almost 90 so Mariah has a clear advantage. 

So go make a thread about that and stop whining/trolling here. This thread is about Mariah Carey being the most certified female artist in the U.S. 

1 minute ago, R.E.M. said:

So go make a thread about that and stop whining/trolling here. This thread is about Mariah Carey being the most certified female artist in the U.S. 

I am just providing context. 

Not bad for the Xmas lady :clap3:
i guess all that song pushed 73 million albums of MC!

18 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I am just providing context. 

Mariah is also the Soundscan and Billboard #1 female in the US so cry elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Mariah is also the Soundscan and Billboard #1 female in the US so cry elsewhere. 

She had great local success indeed. 

8 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

She had great local success indeed. 

She's the all-time #1 non-Asian artist (male or female) in the largest international music market, Japan :ahh: 

Edited by suburbannature

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

She's the all-time #1 Western artist (male or female) in the largest international music market, Japan :ahh: 

Taylor is far bigger in Japan. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.