Why was 'Elvis' (2022, movie) a non-event?

Jude

I remember people said it will have a Bohemian Rhapsody type of success but it turned out to be a flop compared to BR. What happened?:bird:

It got over 3x in the Box Office than its budget of 85 million

Clearly not a non event

2 minutes ago, Armani? said:

It got over 3x in the Box Office than its budget of 85 million

Clearly not a non event

I clearly stated "compared to BR" but yeah technically it didn't flop but not an event either.

From my personal opinion after watching it, there were tons of awful parts to this film that made it overall kind of mediocre: Tom Hanks was really cringe in his role, Austin looks nothing like Elvis, the first half is dizzyingly sped through (with important points like his relationship with Priscilla being explained in under 5 min), and the soundtrack was shockingly awful. They barely played any songs in full, and there were awful gen z targeted remixes throughout the movie that just took me out of most scenes (why is there a woman rapping like Cardi B while Elvis walks down a 1950’s street? :deadbanana4:)

My parents stan Elvis in the way we all stan the pop girls today (with my mom collecting tons of memorabilia over the years) and they loved it though. So perhaps it’s just me :chick1:

It is what the most successful adult drama musical / biopic in the pandemic years and highest grossing since the double whammy of ASIB / BR in 2018, and it’s not far off BR domestically anyway; not to mention it’s been one of the most mentioned / memed movies of the last few months and Austin Butler has a solid shot of a Best Actor nom in a relatively weak year for the category and for a movie released in the summer.

It’s also the 11th top grossing movie of the year WW so even internationally it did numbers, again considering how few popcorn movies aimed at adults have made bank post-COVID.

It’s WB’s biggest win of the year.

Edited by Jessie

MadonnasBoyfriend

Because Tom hanks ruined it lol. But uhm is still in theaters so obviously it did well and garned a whole new generation of Elvis fans like me :cm: the soundtrack is amazing but not better than his greatest hits albums 

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

3 minutes ago, Broken said:

It's the 2nd-biggest biopic of all time...

ATRLers are so out of touch with reality :deadbanana4:

Twitter was pretty silent about it.

It feels like a flop/non event, even tho it isn't

22 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

From my personal opinion after watching it, there were tons of awful parts to this film that made it overall kind of mediocre: Tom Hanks was really cringe in his role, Austin looks nothing like Elvis, the first half is dizzyingly sped through (with important points like his relationship with Priscilla being explained in under 5 min), and the soundtrack was shockingly awful. They barely played any songs in full, and there were awful gen z targeted remixes throughout the movie that just took me out of most scenes (why is there a woman rapping like Cardi B while Elvis walks down a 1950’s street? :deadbanana4:)

Basically this. I enjoyed the movie, but think the criticism of it is justified. Also, someone on TikTok pointed out alot of historical inaccuracies that really just don't make any sense? So some of the narratives were false, such as (minor spoilers below)

Spoiler

The part where Elvis is shown as not caring about the controversy of his performances and continuing them despite the pleas from his manager... Apparently this was the complete opposite in real life. The manager was supposedly the one pushing Elvis not to change his act. But this is just according to a random TikTok account so I don't know the details exactly.

Also agree that it had a weird focus on his manager. They could've told the story I think without the narrative basically being the managers.

it made almost $300m, is the second highest grossing biopic of all time, and was probably the second most talked about movie of the year next to top gun maverick :jonny5: y’all fr just be saying anything 

45 minutes ago, Jude said:

I clearly stated "compared to BR" but yeah technically it didn't flop but not an event either.

This makes no sense. A non event vs comparing it to a more successful movie are two very different things. It did 3x it’s budget and that budget was 85m. That’s not a non event. 

It was definitely an event. Lots of people were seeing/talking about it this summer? The box office numbers? Y’all good?

1 hour ago, Guilherme Make Love said:

It's still the Second biggest biopic of all time 

1 hour ago, Broken said:

It's the 2nd-biggest biopic of all time...

ATRLers are so out of touch with reality :deadbanana4:

unfortunately, it appears to be so. Still, it's a very distant 2nd behid the #1 lol.

1 hour ago, 45seconds said:

This makes no sense. A non event vs comparing it to a more successful movie are two very different things. It did 3x it’s budget and that budget was 85m. That’s not a non event. 

It makes sense when people expected it to perform on par of BR.

non-franchise/remakes to beat it US & WW:

2019: 1917

2018: Bohemian

2017: Coco

Dunkirk

Greatest Showman

2016: La La Land

2015: Martian

Revenant

Just now, fridayteenage said:

which people? atrl user jude?

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-elvis-and-the-black-phone/

Elvis: $110-$170 mil domestically (min/max)

people in twitter, fb, i don't make the rules.

MadonnasBoyfriend
Just now, Jude said:

people in twitter, fb, i don't make the rules.

People spoke of it there. Use the search function love ?

1 minute ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

People spoke of it there. Use the search function love ?

Unfortunately I don't listen to people with that avi or username with that irrelevant has been.