Hot 100: Heat Waves coming for Blinding Lights' record of longest charting song

Assassin

Glass Animals‘ former five-week Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 “Heat Waves” continues its impressive run on the survey, as it ties Imagine Dragons’ “Radioactive” for the second-most weeks spent on the chart in the list’s history.

“Heat Waves” spends an 87th total week on the latest Hot 100 (dated Sept. 24), at No. 17, matching the stay of “Radioactive,” in 2012-14.

The only song with more time spent on the Hot 100 is The Weeknd’s “Blinding Lights,” which ran up 90 weeks in 2019-21. 

Wonderful and if it gets close all they need to do is push out a cute lil remix around week 89/90 to keep recurrent status at bay.

Someone needs to drop an album bomb now  :biblio:

Taylor should have released a month before

Lil Baby drops his album on 10/14 (the week before Taylor Swift), so if Heat Waves stays on the chart until then and falls off the week of Lil Baby's album, it will finish with 91 weeks. If Heat Waves somehow survives both Lil Baby and Taylor...

As it should, such a fantastic and unique song, its success is unprecedented. 

Horrid

it was overrated back then, it's overrated now

what do some ppl like that much about it? it's nothing special looking at other songs in the same sound

Regardless of one's feelings towards the song, it undeniably had one of the most fascinating chart runs in Billboard history. It literally debuted at #100 back in January 2021 - when "Mood" and "positions" were the top 2 songs of the week and before Morgan Wallen was exposed for saying racist slurs. 

Serving "Radioactive" on steroids, the song broke the record for longest climb to the top 10 at 42 weeks, and reached #1 on its 59th week on the chart - beyond unprecedented - sleeper hit at its most extreme. If there was a song to potentially take "Blinding Lights" ' record, I'm glad it's this one, just for the trajectory alone.

As for the song itself, I've grown to really enjoy it. Charming, well-crafted, and nostalgic tune, strongly capturing the despondency of longing. Its success is deserved.

I wasn’t expecting such hate for a cute song :biblio:

well deserved, I hope it breaks the record :clap3:

I like the song but new music is such a snooze. Songs are sticking around longer and longer. No wonder people are turning to old songs via streaming. 

The most crazy thing is not the fact that Heat Waves coming for the Blinding Lights record, but rather there is another song that debuted right around the same time, in Wasted on You, that is charting higher than HW on the Hot 100. Crazy to think that not one, but 2, songs that debuted at the same as drivers license (an 8-week #1 that fell off more than a year ago) are still charting in the Top 20 all these months later.

6 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

I dont get how this basic s song got this far.. 

It's giving 84 — Out

It's giving 2 BILLION streams+

I still associate this song with the summer of 2020 :rip: do NOT see the hype at all :deadbanana2:

7 hours ago, pride4jc1222 said:

Lil Baby drops his album on 10/14 (the week before Taylor Swift), so if Heat Waves stays on the chart until then and falls off the week of Lil Baby's album, it will finish with 91 weeks. If Heat Waves somehow survives both Lil Baby and Taylor...

I believe it goes recurrent if it drops below #25.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.