Viola Davis' The Woman King reigns at the box office with $19M debut

Broken

image.jpg

The Viola Davis-starring, Gina Prince-Bythewood-directed, West Africa set historical epic opened in first place with an above-expectations $19 million. More important than the overperforming opening, though, is its A+ CinemaScore, making The Woman King just the second film of the year to receive the top grade from audiences (the other was Top Gun: Maverick).

Critics agree with audiences that The Woman King is a winner (it’s at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes), and its status may get a further boost when awards season comes around. The film opened in 3,765 theaters, and audiences felt this was one to see on the biggest screen around as 34% of its gross came from IMAX and other premium large format (PLF) screens. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed1785791492/?ref_=bo_hm_hp

jump-attack-the-woman-king.gif

Racists LOST.

Saw it last night and it was quite good :clap3: viola ate

There were some boring parts tbh but overall a good movie 

She saw people clowning her for her Michelle Obama portrayal and said I’m coming back with a HIT.

I’m excited to watch this. October is going to be a big month for me with both this and Barbarian hitting UK cinemas.

31 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Didn’t they make their money off the slave trade?

Everyone alive has benefited from some form of slavery unfortunately. 

31 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Didn’t they make their money off the slave trade?

Haven’t we all in a way

I wanna watch this, looks good :jonny4:

Are ppl not allowed to talk about the background of this film? :rip: gonna assume that user has some other prior offenses…

She keeps winning. We will be watching this movie when it's released here. :gaycat:

Just watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Strong storyline and good acting. :clap3: 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Juanny said:

because suddenly people wanna start talking about how problematic the work of art is when it's a black cast with a black director and depicting black history. it's a hollywood film, obviously it's not going to be fully historically accurate.

It was cute, and was good! Solid b+
I will say the trailers paint a much darker tone than what the film actually was! Kinda cheesy in some aspects but athe stronger aspects hit very well! 

Oh god i need to watch this weekend then :jonnycat:

saw it last night and it was amazing :jonny5:I don't see Oscar buzz for Viola; she was phenomenal as always but it's such a deviation from the type of character the Oscars usually nominates.

4 hours ago, R.E.M. said:

saw it last night and it was amazing :jonny5:I don't see Oscar buzz for Viola; she was phenomenal as always but it's such a deviation from the type of character the Oscars usually nominates.

No, she absolutely HAS to get a best actress nom for this. 

A big Saturday jump and nice Sunday hold put The Woman King at over $11M in weekend 2, $36.5M total. Down just 42%, great legs set to come now. Should make a play for $70-75M domestic total. 

Overseas rollout just started in Brazil and Nigeria, with $1.3M OW from those 2. This bodes decently for the overseas rollout. I'm hoping this can finish with $125M+ global. 

3 hours ago, Cyanide said:

No, she absolutely HAS to get a best actress nom for this. 

It's a pretty stacked year with heavy hitters, but I am really rooting for her to get a nomination. It just seems unlikely because of the genre; when has an actress playing a similar role gotten a Best Actress nomination? I worry it's too "actiony" for the academy.

I saw this movie tonight after work. It was amazing and I recommend that everyone watches it. 

I really want to see this. Viola deserves all her praise

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.