“The Phantom of the Opera”, the longest running musical, to close on Broadway

Rachel Berry

spacer.png

The famed chandelier will descend for the last time at the Majestic Theatre February 18, 2023, according to The New York Times. The production, which resumed performances October 22, 2021, following the pandemic, will celebrate its 35th anniversary in January.

Source: https://playbill.com/article/andrew-lloyd-webbers-history-making-the-phantom-of-the-opera-sets-closing-date-on-broadway

I’m gagged right now. Never did I imagine I’d live to see the day Phantom close on Broadway. The end of an era. :wanda: 

Wow this is actually crazy :chick2:

I wonder if “inspired” traveling companies will pick up the story tho. It’s like a Broadway staple, I can’t imagine it disappearing all together. 

Lion King coming for it.   

Apparently it's been hovering about 80 percent capacity of late

5 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

Lion King coming for it.   

Apparently it's been hovering about 80 percent capacity of late

Yes. Sooooo this. They did a revised version of Beauty and the Beast in the UK that's wrapping up this year... I could definitely see it replacing Lion King until they figure out what other show they want to do. There's been rumors of a revival of B&TB for years anyways so this could be good timing. I think it would do really well over the summer and could definitely see it lasting a good year if they were able to get a really great Belle & Beast combo going. Sara Barrealis?

After Frozen did poorly, I think they're going to be hesitant to replace LK with another original musical. 

Edited by SaintWest

15 minutes ago, SaintWest said:

Yes. Sooooo this. They did a revised version of Beauty and the Beast in the UK that's wrapping up this year... I could definitely see it replacing Lion King until they figure out what other show they want to do. There's been rumors of a revival of B&TB for years anyways so this could be good timing. I think it would do really well over the summer. And after Frozen did poorly, I think they're going to be hesitant to replace LK with another original musical. 

i meant that lion king is going to be the longest running show.

it's still one of the marquee events, #4 at the box office of late despite being around for so long.

it's the go-to 'family' choice, with tickets at 45% higher than aladdin. i think if anything, aladdin would go. 

They should have Nicole perform at least ONCE before it's done

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.