More artistic integrity: Britney Spears or Taylor Swift?

ithinkheknowsoutsold

Brit-Brit or Tay-Tay?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Brit-Brit or Tay-Tay?

I came across this thread yesterday and I thought it raised a very interesting question, so I decided to put my own spin on it and compare two blonde female pop stars 9 albums into their career who are very similar in stature but very different in terms of artistry:

What do y'all think? Remember, this is not a thread to bash either of these very successful women who have both made fantastic music at different points in their career. 

Edited by ithinkheknowsoutsold

Britney perfectly became the daughter of Janet and Madonna then created her own artistic identity 

While taylor suffers from the same thing xtina does: lack of own artistic identity. Xtina went from Britney to throwback sound to gaga to adele to kesha and tay went from shania to britney to lana.

:toofunny2:

taylor has never not sung on her own albums or played her cds when performing "live"

Unless you are a stan, I don't think the world is aware of Britney's true artistic ability.

Most see her as a manufactured pop star, but her unreleased catalog has some of her best tracks... I'm really looking forward to her musical return with her new freedom. Britney being executive producer for what most claim is her best album, aka Blackout, is no coincidence. 

I don't think it's fair to Britney. How could she show artistic integrity when she couldn't even make a decision about her life?

Taylor has navigated through time and genres with absolute ease, it never felt force. It always felt like the natural next step. The only abrupt sonical shift she experienced was from Lover to folklore, but the situation just perfectly explains that shift. She also stands by her early work, as shown by her desire to re-record them to own them. She is proud of her entire career because she has always done what she wanted and felt like sharing. She is a great songwriter that kept on improving and exploring new lanes to express her creativity. To me, that is artistic integrity. 

Edited by Klein

20 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

Britney perfectly became the daughter of Janet and Madonna then created her own artistic identity 

While taylor suffers from the same thing xtina does: lack of own artistic identity. Xtina went from Britney to throwback sound to gaga to adele to kesha and tay went from shania to britney to lana.

I’m starting to think you are the Army’s version of D.M.F.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

spacer.png

Much worse than that.

OT: Britney has no artistic integrity. So Taylor ofc. 

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

spacer.png

It's either that or they truly believe Taylor has basically been a Britney impersonator because of the red wig in one scene of the Bad Blood MV. Because musically, 1989/Reputation/Lover sound nothing like a Britney album. 

11 minutes ago, Headlock said:

spacer.png

I’m just delivering facts, don’t shoot the messenger!

spacer.png

i also mentioned shania and lana and ofc the Britney haters only hyper focus on that.

17 minutes ago, Klein said:

I don't think it's fair to Britney. How could she show artistic integrity when she couldn't even make a decision about her life?

Taylor has navigated through time and genres with absolute ease, it never felt force. It always felt like the natural next step. The only abrupt sonical shift she experienced was from Lover to folklore, but the situation just perfectly explains that shift. She also stands by her early work, as shown by her desire to re-record them to own them. She is proud of her entire career because she has always done what she wanted and felt like sharing. She is a great songwriter that kept on improving and exploring new lanes to express her creativity. To me, that is artistic integrity. 

I would like to think she still had some control over albums like Glory or Circus, especially the former since it sounds very natural and fitting for her.

17 minutes ago, Headlock said:

spacer.png

DMF is at least funny sis.

This is mad disrespectful to Taylor :doc: 

Britney doesn't even sing on her own albums and you want to compare her to an artist as involved in their music as Taylor?

britney may not have as much musical artistry as taylor but she has more integrity in my opinion. she’s not afraid to speak her mind whereas that’s probably the most terrifying thing to taylor. she is a manipulative liar with nothing but money and adoration as her motivation, she champions causes after her focus groups approve them and then she drops them when it’s no longer trendy or profitable (LGBT, feminism, etc) she makes money-hungry decisions and pretends that they’re for artistic reasons (re-recordings) 

if she just owned up to the fact that she can kind of suck sometimes, people would respect her a lot more. but they can’t respect a cardboard facade who will literally never accept blame for a single thing and sics her fanbase on her critics with corny passive-aggressive tweets

Edited by Aaron

42 minutes ago, Katamari said:

:toofunny2:

taylor has never not sung on her own albums or played her cds when performing "live"

:clap3:

35 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

Unless you are a stan, I don't think the world is aware of Britney's true artistic ability.

Most see her as a manufactured pop star, but her unreleased catalog has some of her best tracks... I'm really looking forward to her musical return with her new freedom. Britney being executive producer for what most claim is her best album, aka Blackout, is no coincidence. 

:rip:

also, for a so-called feminist who acted like she was being murdered because she made a bad business deal and lost her masters, and swore she wanted to support her fellow female artists, she sure was silent when her peer, britney, was publicly battling to have autonomy over her own body. 

Edited by Aaron

The answer is Taylor, but this is not even remotely a fair comparison and I’m sure you knew that OP. 

Nearly every corner Britney turned to attempt her artistic input was slammed with a wall of no. She fought for her say in some single choices and music videos, but couldn’t even release the independent body of work she created (Original Doll). 

After that, she was lucky to have input with Blackout, but Circus through Britney Jean can’t even count due to the conservatorship. Saying she didn’t sing on Britney Jean isn’t even the “gotcha” some of you think it is considering she was actively striking work to make her team money. If she said no to singing they got someone else to do it, but that whole situation was out of her hands. She couldn’t even change up the songs she wanted to perform, so obviously her artistic integrity is pretty dull and nonexistent. 

Maybe one day she’ll release some self written works if she wants to, but to say she’s not artistic in any sense is just untrue. 

Edited by Proseductice

What a disrespectful thread...:doc:

Taylor lives and breathes music thats why she cant put her pen down or her guitar. 

While when I look at britney...let's leave it at that :gaycat6:

Girl... lets call Myah Marie and ask her the same question :deadbanana4:

And, for what it's worth, Britney might not have had artistic control over Circus-Glory but we can't ignore the fact that BOMT, Oops, and Britney are tragic albums, and ITZ has three or four tracks worth listening to. Blackout is semi-decent (though I'm convinced Britney stand significantly overstate her involvement with the album), but one Britney album versus nine Taylor albums is... not a good look. 

52 minutes ago, Headlock said:

spacer.png

D.M.F sweetie… 

at least DMF is funny, DirrtyDiana isn’t funny at all. So cringe. :pukey:

OT : Brit can’t even singing Live on her show, and this comparison wasn’t fair at all. 

This is one of the poorest attempts of trolling I've ever seen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.