There are more slaves today than at any point in human history

Tropez

There are more than 40 million slaves. Which is higher than the amount of slaves transported to the Americas and the Middle East during the colonial period. 

Many of the products we enjoy today were created by slave labor like chocolate. And the world will be watching the FIFA World Cup in Qatar in venues built by slaves. 

Why? Because slavery is profitable. Slave traders today make more money than slave traders from the 16th-18 centuries could even dream of. 

North Korea, Russia, Democratic Republic of Congo, China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, and the Philippines are the top 10 countries for slavery. Slavery is also legal in the United States as punishment. The majority of slaves are women and children. 

Sources 

https://amp.theguardian.com/news/2019/feb/25/modern-slavery-trafficking-persons-one-in-200

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery/

https://www.state.gov/what-is-modern-slavery/

Is it moral to be complacent in a world were we know slavery is wrong but still happening? 

The root of capitalism is slavery. It cannot exist without the brutal exploitation of workers.

What is curiously left out of the articles you posted which should absolutely be mentioned are the several multinational corporations headquartered in the West that are benefitting from some of the slavery. This is how European nations and the West are exempted from the analysis when they have propped up the colonial-imperial apparatus centuries ago and continued it to this day. 

Europe's impacT 

Just now, Gov Hooka said:

The root of capitalism is slavery. It cannot exist without the brutal exploitation of workers.

What is curiously left out of the articles you posted which should absolutely be mentioned are the several multinational corporations headquartered in the West that are benefitting from some of the slavery. This is how European nations and the West are exempted from the analysis when they have propped up the colonial-imperial apparatus centuries ago and continued it to this day. 

I agree. I forgot to mention the most well known is Nestlé. The company admitted to using slavery in Thailand a few years ago. The messed up thing is a lot of our products are made by Nestlé. 

If someone wanted to dig in, they should when it comes to chocolate as I mentioned. A lot of companies that sell chocolate employ slavery. 

As a native of Qatar, the situation was indeed abusive but in 2017 things started to get a bit better but still there’s a long way to go. 

Also I want to include human trafficking as a major category under slave trading umbrella.

Slavery is a socioeconomic system much like capitalism and communism. It is the most efficient system of production tried so far as it’s capable of producing enormous amounts of wealth better than pure capitalism and communism hence why it’s been well-integrated into capitalist and communist systems. It’s never going to go away unless a more efficient, advanced system like robotic automation takes over.

Is there a list of companies that benefit the most from slavery? 

I know fashion industry is infamous for using sweat shops for fast fashion clothing like Zara, H&M and nike

The way everyone mentions eUrOpE11! when China has literal concentration camps filled with slaves (local and foreign). 

3 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

Does this take into account population growth 

No, that's the reason why it's more slaves than ever, because the population exploded since then.

But still. There shouldn't be any slaves at this point.

5 hours ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Is there a list of companies that benefit the most from slavery? 

I know fashion industry is infamous for using sweat shops for fast fashion clothing like Zara, H&M and nike

pron industry

from hidden rings to videos... turns billions every year

That is because there are more people today than at any point in human history. The same will be true next month, because worldwide population is constantly growing.

11 hours ago, Jan said:

That is because there are more people today than at any point in human history. The same will be true next month, because worldwide population is constantly growing.

This is one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever read online. There should not be ANY slavery in 2022. Your comment sounds so complicate and okay with slavery. 

3 hours ago, Tropez said:

This is one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever read online. There should not be ANY slavery in 2022. Your comment sounds so complicate and okay with slavery. 

Is there a possibility that your reaction is an overinterpretation? It’s just factually true, the more humans are there, the more of them can be put in an extremely unfortunate situation of being enslaved. I didn’t provide a moral evaluation of slavery in that comment.

11 minutes ago, Jan said:

Is there a possibility that your reaction is an overinterpretation? It’s just factually true, the more humans are there, the more of them can be put in an extremely unfortunate situation of being enslaved. I didn’t provide a moral evaluation of slavery in that comment.

Because its a ridiculously dumb comment. Just because there’s more people doesn’t mean that slavery should even exist. 

2 hours ago, Tropez said:

Because its a ridiculously dumb comment. Just because there’s more people doesn’t mean that slavery should even exist. 

I think you’re being unnecessarily hostile. I did not say that nor imply that and I am not going to continue this conversation.

2 hours ago, Jan said:

I think you’re being unnecessarily hostile. I did not say that nor imply that and I am not going to continue this conversation.

Because there was no reason for your comment. It provided absolutely nothing. Obviously there’s more humans now than then. Did you know the sky is also blue? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.