What do you know about New Zealand?

Tropical

Kia ora sistren - just wandering what the dear folx of ATRL know about my nation? Intrigued cause I know a lot of Australians, despite being our nearest and most similar neighbors, tend to know next to nothing about NZ.

Do you know our biggest city? The capital city? What we export? That we're not part of Australia? How far we actually are from Australia?

regions-of-new-zealand-map.png 

True size compared to Europe / USA:

8bae8ae73fe190a22ba45e68e6ee4daa--other- 

NZ-size-Compared-to-USA.png 

That you’re basically set for life just by being born there, just like Switzerland. 

France launched a terrorist attack on them in the 80s. I also believe the island is inhabited by hobbits (and sheep).

• ATRL Moderator

The native people of the land are the Māori. Auckland is the biggest city, Wellington the capital. The citizens are known as kiwis. 

21 minutes ago, hurricane326 said:

Cyclones that affect NZ during cyclone season are always extratropical/post-tropical when they strike, but they can still pack a punch. The worst was Cyclone Giselle in 1968, which caused devastation in Wellington after making landfall on the North Island. Wind gusts reached over 150 mph (275 kph) in some locations, and the ship TEV Wahine sank with the loss of 53 lives

Wahine-listing.jpg

Interesting you know about the sinking of Wahine - NZ's worst maritime disaster and one of the greatest single-day loss-of-lives (outside of a world war).

5 minutes ago, Wizard said:

the best hook up of my life moved there :jonny3:

Damn I should track him down :lakitu: 

I know their capital, largest city, a little about Maori culture. To me NZ is sort of like Canada but in the southern hemisphere and very remote to the rest of the world :rip: 

• ATRL Moderator

I have some online friends from NZ in the Hamilton area (I'm from the USA). They really love their country's progressive values and political climate, especially in comparison to the rest of the world. More social investment into people + very open-minded about LGBTQ+ rights. That's not to say you don't have your share of right-wing nuts... I think there were some protests in Auckland recently? Ardern is pretty well-received PM, who has accomplished some forward-thinking goals, and she has shown how it's possible to lead while balancing family commitments.

Your climate is oceanic pretty much nation-wide, so you have lovely summers that aren't too hot, and winters that aren't super cold. Geographically, you have the North + South Island... there is a sizeable lake in the middle of North Island (Lake Taupo) which was formed from a volcanic crater. You also have another island country (Niue) under your jurisdiction.

Business-wise... You guys have a 15% standard GST across the country. A huge telecom service in the country is Spark New Zealand, and a big pizza chain is Hell Pizza which sounds iconic and I VERY much want to try it if I visit there one day!!

I've learned a few things about the Māori language and culture/history. The island's real name is Aotearoa, which I don't think many people know outside of the country tbh! Many cities and districts in the country have an English name and a Māori name. I have also learned about the tā moko, which is a very important spiritual permanent facial marking for the Māori people. There has been more visibility of the marking in NZ media; recently, there was a news anchor who got the full facial marking which sparked conversation online.

Those are some of the top things that came to mind!! Hopefully I didn't botch anything.

4 minutes ago, Element said:

I have some online friends from NZ in the Hamilton area (I'm from the USA). They really love their country's progressive values and political climate, especially in comparison to the rest of the world. More social investment into people + very open-minded about LGBTQ+ rights. That's not to say you don't have your share of right-wing nuts... I think there were some protests in Auckland recently? Ardern is pretty well-received PM, who has accomplished some forward-thinking goals, and she has shown how it's possible to lead while balancing family commitments.

Your climate is oceanic pretty much nation-wide, so you have lovely summers that aren't too hot, and winters that aren't super cold. Geographically, you have the North + South Island... there is a sizeable lake in the middle of North Island (Lake Taupo) which was formed from a volcanic crater. You also have another island country (Niue) under your jurisdiction.

Business-wise... You guys have a 15% standard GST across the country. A huge telecom service in the country is Spark New Zealand, and a big pizza chain is Hell Pizza which sounds iconic and I VERY much want to try it if I visit there one day!!

I've learned a few things about the Māori language and culture/history. The island's real name is Aotearoa, which I don't think many people know outside of the country tbh! Many cities and districts in the country have an English name and a Māori name. I have also learned about the tā moko, which is a very important spiritual permanent facial marking for the Māori people. There has been more visibility of the marking in NZ media; recently, there was a news anchor who got the full facial marking which sparked conversation online.

Those are some of the top things that came to mind!! Hopefully I didn't botch anything.

Wow you're clued up! Have you been to NZ before? Where are you from and how do you know all of this?

Māori culture and language is increasingly resurging, I wouldn't be surprised if one day the country is formally renamed Aotearoa. 

I don't think NZ is any great utopia but I do think being small, well developed and geographically isolated has been mostly to our benefit (away from war, easy to control migration etc). 

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, Tropical said:

Wow you're clued up! Have you been to NZ before? Where are you from and how do you know all of this?

Māori culture and language is increasingly resurging, I wouldn't be surprised if one day the country is formally renamed Aotearoa. 

I don't think NZ is any great utopia but I do think being small, well developed and geographically isolated has been mostly to our benefit (away from war, easy to control migration etc). 

I haven't ever been, but I'd really like to one day! I'm from the USA. I made an online friend from NZ back in like 2015 playing games, and like 2 years ago, I joined her Discord server with all her real life friends from NZ + I got to know them really well. So I have like all these online friends from your country and am constantly picking up NZ facts here and there when we chat! Would love to meet them in person at some point :D

I definitely agree that you guys benefit from your geographic isolation and can chart your own course. You also had the delay in Covid spreading because of that + also some very smart governmental policies for a year or more!

2 hours ago, Mr.Link said:

That you’re basically set for life just by being born there, just like Switzerland. 

I wish :redface:

I know queen Dakota Kai is from there

I know the capital is Wellington and biggest city is Auckland. Also that it’s about the same size as Britain but less than 10% of the population. Generally rich and safe but still a lot of inequality and out of control housing market. I have a lot of respect for Jacinda Arden, I know she’s not perfect but far better than most world leaders. I also like how Māori culture remains very important and is celebrated. I plan on visiting next year and I’m very excited to see Hobbiton and all the natural beauty as well as Auckland.

duh! first band I ever stanned were from NZ.  (well 2 were born in NZ, one was born in AUS) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.