Google feels threatened of TikTok; making changes

Exzime.

Google announced today that it’s rolling out new Search updates over the next few weeks that will aim to make it easier for people to find high-quality content. The new ranking improvements will work to reduce the amount of low-quality or unoriginal content that ranks high in search results. Google says that the update will especially target content that has been created primarily for ranking on search engines, known as “SEO-first” content, rather than human-first content. The launch of the new improvements come as Google recently acknowledged that TikTok is cutting into its Search product. Raghavan, who runs Google’s Knowledge & Information organization, recently noted that younger users are often turning to apps like TikTok instead of Google Search or Maps for discovery purposes. For instance, Raghavan said nearly 40% of young people go to TikTok when looking for a place to eat, as opposed to Google Maps or Search. Raghavan also explained how younger people were generally interested in more “visually rich forms” of search and discovery.

Source, Source

The way TikTok making these girls trembling in fear

:deadbanana4:

The level of loyalty and attachment Gen Z has with tik tok is insane. 

Honestly Tik tok is probably the most powerful social media app ever.

Millennials and Boomers never had that level of attachment with IG and Facebook. 

Tik tok is a threat to every single social media site and search engine because of the level of loyalty Gen Z has with them.

18 minutes ago, Exzime. said:

nearly 40% of young people go to TikTok when looking for a place to eat, as opposed to Google Maps or Search.

is this true :deadbanana4:

how does that even work, I don't have TikTok. do people just search the city + food they want and watch video recommendations? 

I really feel like I'm losing touch with the internet culture by completely missing out on TikToks rise, like everyone moved to it and I still don't get the appeal :skull:

2 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

I really feel like I'm losing touch with the internet culture by completely missing out on TikToks rise, like everyone moved to it and I still don't get the appeal :skull:

same :rip: even my mom is obsessed, dunno what the hype is about

I feel like a complete boomer rn, but how do you use TikTok to get local restaurant recs? :rip:  I'm not about to sit here and watch video reviews of food. 

36 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

is this true :deadbanana4:

how does that even work, I don't have TikTok. do people just search the city + food they want and watch video recommendations? 

Yeah. Gen Z don't wanna read something - they wanna be told it. And the way the TikTok algorithm works, you're likely to get relevant, recent and useful content with a very quick search

1 hour ago, Trent W said:

Millennials and Boomers never had that level of attachment with IG and Facebook. 

Tik tok is a threat to every single social media site and search engine because of the level of loyalty Gen Z has with them.

Big distinction that Tik Tok has children literally growing up on it. Millennials/Boomers have a "before social media" life experience that is incomparable to gen z. Tik Tok is really reaping the benefits of that (one that Vine started but was not able to make profitable).

57 minutes ago, Trent W said:

No… this same generation had that level of loyalty to Snapchat, and then IG copied Snap’s features and Snapchat has been dying ever since.  IG copied Reels features, and they are becoming super popular.  What makes you think TikTok isn’t doomed to the same fate as Snapchat in the US?  The only place it can probably continue to thrive is in China, where western social media companies do not officially operate.

11 minutes ago, Archetype said:

No… this same generation had that level of loyalty to Snapchat, and then IG copied Snap’s features and Snapchat has been dying ever since.  IG copied Reels features, and they are becoming super popular.  What makes you think TikTok isn’t doomed to the same fate as Snapchat in the US?  The only place it can probably continue to thrive is in China, where western social media companies do not officially operate.

snapchat was purely UI/functionality, which facebook stole easily. with tiktok, it's harder because of tiktok's algorithm which is considered best in class at this point. reels adoption isn't at the level that facebook wants, instagram's redesign to make it more like tiktok was met with a lot of resistance, and tiktok's growth is still really impressive. facebook is also suffering because of apple's iOS updates that have made tracking users on mobile a lot harder so their ad product is being seen as less and less vital, opening the door for even more tiktok ad growth. not to say facebook/instagram might not prevail in the end, but they're in a much weaker position this time. 

15 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Snapchat is more of a Zillennial app.

Old Gen Z and Younger Millennials.

It became popular in 2013 with teens/early 20s crowd. It was a the Millennial era.

Same with Vine

So Tik Tok is really the only app that fully grew with Gen Z as a whole.

How did IG copy Snapchat?

I think it’s silly when people say YouTube is dying and Tik Tok will destroy it. They can both co-exist. 

TikTok is all 10 seconds or shorter videos. That’s its shtick.  If I wanted to watch how to repair my lawnmower, would I go to TT? No lol.

so there is no killing of anything. Content longer than 10 seconds has a place on YouTube.  

1 hour ago, Illuminati said:

Same. It’s just not for me. :hoetenks:

TikTok searches>>

I could search "trash music badabingbadaboom" and they will show me the exact song/video i'm looking for

26 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

Big distinction that Tik Tok has children literally growing up on it. Millennials/Boomers have a "before social media" life experience that is incomparable to gen z. Tik Tok is really reaping the benefits of that (one that Vine started but was not able to make profitable).

Millennials grew up with My Space, Facebook and  Instagram.

They had more options, Tik tok is kind of monopolized with Gen Z.

9 minutes ago, Raspy said:

TikTok searches>>

I could search "trash music badabingbadaboom" and they will show me the exact song/video i'm looking for

You must be 8 or something

TikTok was at its best in 2019 and 2020 when it was popular but before it took over SM. I definitely don't see it going away anytime soon clearly that's why all the gworls are scared.

6 minutes ago, Raspy said:

Ajrtgut.gif

Every day I thank god for the fact I have no desire or need to be on TikTok. Very happy to miss out on more brain-addling, algorithmically addictive online crap. 

1 hour ago, Raspy said:

TikTok searches>>

Rent free. Mental illness

Imagine the level of stupidity the world is regressing to for people to replace Google searches with TikTok :deadbanana2:

I'm too old :michael: I just find watching videos so inconvenient I'd rather quickly read a review and look at photos than having to watch something.

7 hours ago, Trent W said:

Snapchat is more of a Zillennial app.

Old Gen Z and Younger Millennials.

It became popular in 2013 with teens/early 20s crowd. It was a the Millennial era.

Same with Vine

So Tik Tok is really the only app that fully grew with Gen Z as a whole.

You’re basically describing how each of these apps became popular during the middle school to high school phases of the millennial and zillenial generations, and TikTok is becoming popular during Gen Z’s middle-high school era.  It’s really nothing unique.

7 hours ago, teresaguidice said:

snapchat was purely UI/functionality, which facebook stole easily. with tiktok, it's harder because of tiktok's algorithm which is considered best in class at this point. reels adoption isn't at the level that facebook wants, instagram's redesign to make it more like tiktok was met with a lot of resistance, and tiktok's growth is still really impressive. facebook is also suffering because of apple's iOS updates that have made tracking users on mobile a lot harder so their ad product is being seen as less and less vital, opening the door for even more tiktok ad growth. not to say facebook/instagram might not prevail in the end, but they're in a much weaker position this time. 

TikTok’s algorithm is amazing, but it’s seriously nothing Fb can’t replicate.  Everything that gives TikTok an edge we be replicated and eventually improved upon.  Regarding Fb suffering bc of iOS’ restrictions on ad tracking, it’s something that TikTok and every other social media app is affected by as well.  The only difference is that TikTok is a young company and hasn’t partially relied on iOS advertising revenue for over a decade like older tech companies have.

7 hours ago, spree said:

How did IG copy Snapchat?

I think it’s silly when people say YouTube is dying and Tik Tok will destroy it. They can both co-exist. 

TikTok is all 10 seconds or shorter videos. That’s its shtick.  If I wanted to watch how to repair my lawnmower, would I go to TT? No lol.

so there is no killing of anything. Content longer than 10 seconds has a place on YouTube.  

IG copied stories and self-destructing photo-video messaging from Snapchat.  Tbh every social network copied Snapchat, that company is doomed.  

YouTube is indestructible tho.  It’s very much like you said, people will go to TikTok for one thing but it’ll never replace the long-form video content found on YT.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.