The Plant Thread ?

Better Mistakes

• ATRL Moderator

My monstera just died recently but otherwise I love keeping a handful of plants around :heart2:  Nothing too crazy but I have four pothos hanging around my apartment and a few plants outside including an asparagus fern that absolutely loves its life and has flowers on it almost all the time and a tiger's tooth aloe that I got from a bougie plant shop in Denver a few years ago that's loving the Texas heat.  

26 minutes ago, khalyan said:

My monstera just died recently but otherwise I love keeping a handful of plants around :heart2:  Nothing too crazy but I have four pothos hanging around my apartment and a few plants outside including an asparagus fern that absolutely loves its life and has flowers on it almost all the time and a tiger's tooth aloe that I got from a bougie plant shop in Denver a few years ago that's loving the Texas heat.  

I'd love a monstera! I love the leaf shape. I've downloaded an app called "Planta" that reminds you when to water them and how frequently etc. they should be watered based on location etc. It's pretty good after I slaughtered all my succulents last year :toofunny2: I think it was the water from the water machine they hated :toofunny3: 

I have a lemon tree growing, raspberry and mint:heart: I have 3 cacti in my room cuz I love them and I also want to plant roses 

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Better Mistakes said:

I'd love a monstera! I love the leaf shape. I've downloaded an app called "Planta" that reminds you when to water them and how frequently etc. they should be watered based on location etc. It's pretty good after I slaughtered all my succulents last year :toofunny2: I think it was the water from the water machine they hated :toofunny3: 

Texas weather has been a bit unpredictable, I set my monstera out one morning when the weather said we had like an 80% chance of rain and a high of 82.  I went to work and then we got no cloud cover, it got to 95, and I came back to see every leaf was burned to a crisp :'(  

My fiddle leaf fig is named Winona Ryder, she’s an icon. Doesn’t take much watering and I always get positive comments. If it gets too humid, though, it can grow these gross yellow mushrooms (had to buy a spray for it but once you use that it’s fine).

I got into gardening last year and it's one of my favorite hobbies. I'm currently growing cilantro and pumpkins.

1 hour ago, Jotham said:

I got into gardening last year and it's one of my favorite hobbies. I'm currently growing cilantro and pumpkins.

I'm growing these varieties of squash. Squash is fun because they can be stored for several months without going bad (at least some varieties) and they're nourishing and there's all sorts of different varieties. Only problem is they take up lots of space.

These are the varieties I'm growing.

Green zucchini

Zucchini-Freeze-16-500x500.jpg

Vegetable Marrow

930563405_400x.jpg?v=1627009808

Butternut

butternut-squash.jpg

Guatemalan Green Ayote

130109262_200690908300602_80793829444524

And the ones I want to try.

Uchi Kuri

Squash_UchikiKuri_82d99b16-2c42-47f6-bff

Trombocino

vertical-farming-tromboncino-squash.jpg

Buttercup/Kabocha

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io

Lemon drop

dispthumb.aspx?imageid=239658&imgsize=Di

White scallop

il_570xN.2437062486_tqt4.jpg

Maybe one day I'll make room for a pumpkin or two, but it's further down the list for now.

Got into growing passion flowers this year. Here are pictures I took of my two varieties.

Y1tDkHN.jpeg

1HI5IVa.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

I'm growing these varieties of squash. Squash is fun because they can be stored for several months without going bad (at least some varieties) and they're nourishing and there's all sorts of different varieties. Only problem is they take up lots of space.

I agree. I love summer because it's the perfect season to grow squash. But the squash I was growing this year died of root rot. :'(

anyone knows why my tree of life keeps dying and dying?

maybe its sensitive to stressed out people?

i keep buying new ones and im sick of that small f-k bush that keeps dying

FICUS Biljka u saksiji, bonsai/odabrane boje, 22 cm - IKEA

6 hours ago, Grumpy Cat said:

anyone knows why my tree of life keeps dying and dying?

maybe its sensitive to stressed out people?

i keep buying new ones and im sick of that small f-k bush that keeps dying

FICUS Biljka u saksiji, bonsai/odabrane boje, 22 cm - IKEA

Where is it located? How much light does it get?

how often do you water it? Is the water really cold or room temperature?

4 hours ago, Better Mistakes said:

Where is it located? How much light does it get?

how often do you water it? Is the water really cold or room temperature?

western side of the room

little light, i always shut down my windows.

watering- too damn often. every 2-3 days

water is from the sink so just basic

efOiXXY.jpg

0CsHowp.jpg

After the 1st, my goal is to buy:

this puta

NEOBIČNA SOBNA BILJKA: Čupava paprat je savršena za stan bez mnogo svetla  (NEFROLEPIS + SAVETI ZA NEGU) | Bašta | Sobne biljke

this puta:

Bonsai drvce – A16 | Bonsai prodaja

and this:

Poslovnica Novi Sad

I'll have to teach basic english to one of the dumbest baby boomers I've ever met. She makes my blood boil but being in an artificial forest of a flat helps me.

Combined with shitloads od relics, my landlord says its the nicest made monastery of a flat he has ever rented.

Before me lived a woman who was so filthy and ****** up, she got her kid taken away in this flat. So, she got herself a cat and a dog. Also, abandoned them and she got the ultimatum- either you GTFO in a month yourself or you'll be kicked out.

I'm so proud how I cleansed and cleaned and renovated that cursed shithole all by myself. And looooooooord, it calms me down so much.

Britney spears gif tumblr 7 » GIF Images Download

Edited by Grumpy Cat
typo

On 8/26/2022 at 9:25 PM, khalyan said:

Buy a bambus hun. It's so easy. Just put it in a vase or a bottle with water and leave it. My has grown over a meter, has nice spirals and also plenty of small branches and leaves.

I got obsessed with orchids a while ago and now I have about 10.
4 Phalaenopsis, 2 Cattelya, 2 Dendrobium,  1 Paphiopedilum, 1 Sarcochilus.

About half are quite young and might take awhile to mature and flower I fear :chick1:  but it'll be worth it.

3 minutes ago, flower moon said:

I got obsessed with orchids a while ago and now I have about 10.
4 Phalaenopsis, 2 Cattelya, 2 Dendrobium,  1 Paphiopedilum, 1 Sarcochilus.

About half are quite young and might take awhile to mature and flower I fear :chick1:  but it'll be worth it.

ok u can help out. i have 3 right now. 2 are done with blossoming. I've cut the dead parts but those ******* keep on drying even though Ive cut the branches without the flowers

How do I save them?

Edited by Grumpy Cat

35 minutes ago, Grumpy Cat said:

ok u can help out. i have 3 right now. 2 are done with blossoming. I've cut the dead parts but those ******* keep on drying even though Ive cut the branches without the flowers

How do I save them?

I rarely get mine to rebloom on the same spike, so idk if I can be much help :priceless: but generally I cut the spikes about halfway down, above a node. And if it doesn't dry it will push out a new spike from the node.

Mine usually dry tho so I cut them at the bottom/near the leaves and wait for the next year for a fresh spike/bloom. :chick1:

I recommend MissOrchidGirl on YouTube. She makes the best vids for saving/helping Orchids.

17 hours ago, Grumpy Cat said:

western side of the room

little light, i always shut down my windows.

watering- too damn often. every 2-3 days

water is from the sink so just basic

efOiXXY.jpg

0CsHowp.jpg

You need to water sparingly :toofunny3: I’d water it every couple of weeks or when a few inches of soil feel dry 

Just now, Better Mistakes said:

You need to water sparingly :toofunny3: I’d water it every couple of weeks or when a few inches of soil feel dry 

Yeah, I realized that. I wonder is that the same problem with the orchids? I'm constantly giving them water.

1 minute ago, flower moon said:

I rarely get mine to rebloom on the same spike, so idk if I can be much help :priceless: but generally I cut the spikes about halfway down, above a node. And if it doesn't dry it will push out a new spike from the node.

Mine usually dry tho so I cut them at the bottom/near the leaves and wait for the next year for a fresh spike/bloom. :chick1:

I recommend MissOrchidGirl on YouTube. She makes the best vids for saving/helping Orchids.

Ok so I can leave the branches to dry then cut them at the bottom and wait for 2023?

f i'm happy I havent killed them by overwatering them like all other plants, except bambuses

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Cat said:

Yeah, I realized that. I wonder is that the same problem with the orchids? I'm constantly giving them water.

I imagine so :toofunny3: I’ve had the same problems cause when you think of plants you think they love the sun and water and then you end up either drowning them or they get “burnt” from being directly in the sun :toofunny3:

1 minute ago, Grumpy Cat said:

Ok so I can leave the branches to dry then cut them at the bottom and wait for 2023?

f i'm happy I havent killed them by overwatering them like all other plants, except bambuses

Yup you're all good. Like any plant, the flowers eventually die.

You can def overwater them tho. They like to dry out completely before watering again or you will end up with root rot :redface:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.