Latinos Extremely racist towards black coworkers

Tropez

Nearly every day, the onetime Ontario warehouse employee said, he was stunned to hear racist slurs from Latino co-workers.

“They said it in English — they said it in Spanish all the time,” recalled Leon Simmons, a Black father of four with a deep voice and gentle manner. “When they look you right in the eye and call you the N-word to your face, that’s dehumanizing.”

Thirty-two miles away at a Moreno Valley warehouse, it was the same story. Another Black laborer, Benjamin Watkins, describedhow a Latina co-worker called to him: “‘Hey, monkey! Yeah, you!’ and waved a banana in her hand. A group of women burst out laughing.” 

In America’s long history, harassment and discrimination against Black workers has usually involved white perpetrators — and that remains the case today. But with the rapid growth of the Latino population, now at 19% in the U.S. and 39% in California, Latinos form the majority in many low-wage workplaces. And instances of anti-Black bias and colorism among them is drawing new scrutiny, even as activists in the two communities forge alliances over criminal justice and economic development.

Latinos certainly are targets of job discrimination as well and continue to struggle for equity in the workplace. But the two largest racial bias cases brought by the federal government in California in the last decade alleged widespread abuse of hundreds of Black employees at warehouses in the Inland Empire, the state’s booming distribution hub for trade between the U.S. and Asia. 

In interviews, Black employees said a torrent of racist insults and discriminatory treatment was mainly inflicted by Latino co-workers and supervisors who composed roughly three-quarters of the workforces at the sprawling facilities in Ontario and Moreno Valley.

“Mayate,” a type of beetle and Spanish slang for the N-word, was a common taunt, according to interviews and court filings.

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission lawsuits alleged that supervisors at the global medical supplier Cardinal Health and at Ryder Integrated Logistics, a subsidiary of the trucking giant — along with their staffing firms — routinely ignored harassment in Spanish and English at their Inland Empire warehouses. They gave Black employees the hardest manual jobs, denied them training and promotions and failed to take action despite dozens of complaints, according to court filings and interviews.

Many of the Black workers were hired through temp agencies. When they complained, managers — both white and Latino — retaliated by disciplining them or abruptly firing them, according to the EEOC. Others felt forced to quit because of “intolerable working conditions created by the hostile work environment,” the lawsuits alleged.

Cardinal, Ryder and their temp firms denied the accusations. But as scores of Black employees came forward and the EEOC interviewed witnesses, the companies settled the cases last year rather than face jury trials.

“We are seeing an increase in larger race harassment cases,” said Anna Park, regional attorney for the EEOC’s Los Angeles district office. “The nature of them has gotten uglier. There’s a more blatant display of hatred with the N-word, with imagery, with nooses. All the violence you’re seeing in the news, it is manifesting in the employment context.”

In a state as diverse as California, offenders span all races and ethnicities, she said.

Read more here 

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-08-22/california-racial-discrimination-cases

9 minutes ago, Power love said:

Where’s the video babe? 

Read the article. Link in the OP. 

11 minutes ago, Tropez said:

Read the article. Link in the OP. 

So no video love ? :heart:

3 minutes ago, Power love said:

So no video love ? :heart:

This was a legal court cases. If you had read the article. You would have seen this: 

Photos taken by Black workers showed a women’s restroom defaced with graffiti: “N— stink up the aisles” and “Black pipo stink.” A men’s restroom was defaced with “n—killer.”

Also, here’s the court documents. So you can read for yourself 

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/45/29/8c0b494b43529a7f536784af9a6f/cardinal-answer-to-complaint-attorney-civil-case-opening-1-filed-by-defendant-cardinal-health-200-llc.(At.pdf

Also, it’s a little odd you came all this way. Despite all the website errors and server issues to be contrarian when the evidence is literally in the article. From a extremely reputable journal source. Full of legal evidence and various sources. 

“bUt WhErEs tHe ViDeo?” 

JohnWayneHolland

Mayate isn't Spanish slang for the N-word :rip: it means gay man :giraffe: 

Also not to excuse their actions but at least here in Mexico most people don't know what the n-word actually means and the history behind it, they think it means homie or something like that because rappers use it in songs all the time :michael: the girl calling that man a monkey was definitely racist tho.

38 minutes ago, JohnWayneHolland said:

Also not to excuse their actions but at least here in Mexico most people don't know what the n-word actually means and the history behind it, they think it means homie or something like that because rappers use it in songs all the time :michael: the girl calling that man a monkey was definitely racist tho.

Regardless of what the meaning is. We have first hand knowledge of how it is used as a slur against Black people. Being pedantic isn’t a good look and comes across as enabling the bigotry. 

Whites are not the only racists :cm:

Yeah there's a lot of colorism within the Latino community due to ignorance. Afrolatinos are constantly overlooked or disrespected 

1 hour ago, JohnWayneHolland said:

Also not to excuse their actions but at least here in Mexico most people don't know what the n-word actually means and the history behind it, they think it means homie or something like that because rappers use it in songs all the time :michael: 

I've heard this one before :michael:

59 minutes ago, unclefloprry said:

This is like a “gay for pay” not N :rip:

1 hour ago, JohnWayneHolland said:

True, I am also from Mexico, and I have heard how many young people say the N word, without really knowing the background, but, as they say, they hear it so much in songs and other things that it becomes easy to say it (without going any further, I do not know if you witnessed the popularity of a singer who sings "Baby, te quiero, uo" and his stage name was the N word, and they pronounced it on TV, radio... as something normal; in the USA he was called Dj Flex), I have also seen a lot of jokes/memes/comments about black people and things that seem funny to them (and most of the responses are jajaja...), but nobody says it's racist, and if you say something they criticize you and call you bitter/old, or things like that. Racism is so deeply rooted in Latam that they take it as something to joke about. 

Regarding the word Mayate, it is true, in Spanish it has nothing to do with a racist insult. That is more a slang of the gay community. 

This insect is the mayate, it's not even black:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfrkd6SfNBDVocD_noHb-

Edited by bliaz

In Latin America racism is almost normalized, colorism is so integrated within society that no one makes a huge deal out of it.

If you travel a lot within latam and US, the current racism of whites is insignificant compared to what people in latin america say to each other.

I also must say that people aren’t sensitive or don’t care at all. 

Is not right but people are more relaxed about it.

4 minutes ago, Trent W said:

In Latin America racism is almost normalized, colorism is so integrated within society that no one makes a huge deal out of it.

If you travel a lot within latam and US, the current racism of whites is insignificant compared to what people in latin america say to each other.

I also must say that people aren’t sensitive or don’t care at all. 

Is not right but people are more relaxed about it.

Framing response to blatant racism as being one being "sensitive" as opposed to someone being rightfully outraged :rip:

Being relaxed or not caring is not the solution nor a positive outcome, that's a bad thing :deadbanana4:

33 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Framing response to blatant racism as being one being "sensitive" as opposed to someone being rightfully outraged :rip:

Being relaxed or not caring is not the solution nor a positive outcome, that's a bad thing :deadbanana4:

Go and educate all the people from Latam then

No one cares there, the 80% of the population almost in all countries except some places like Argentina are poc.

4 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Go and educate all the people from Latam then

No one cares there, the 80% of the population almost in all countries except some places like Argentina are poc.

First of all, Black =/= POC. Black people are POC, but not all POC are Black.

Secondly, again, "no one caring" is not a defense :rip: That just makes them look worse :rip:

9 minutes ago, Headlock said:

First of all, Black =/= POC. Black people are POC, but not all POC are Black.

Secondly, again, "no one caring" is not a defense :rip: That just makes them look worse :rip:

I’m not trying to defend anything, just telling you how it is.

I’m not going to get worried of how to convince an entire continent of people to change their way of thinking. That’s their government’s job to invest in education but they are too busy being corrupt.

So if you wanna go there and fight, go ahead.

8 minutes ago, Trent W said:

I’m not trying to defend anything, just telling you how it is.

I’m not going to get worried of how to convince an entire continent of people to change their way of thinking. That’s their government’s job to invest in education but they are too busy being corrupt.

So if you wanna go there and fight, go ahead.

Congrats on not being "worried" about systemic racism? :deadbanana4:

12 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Congrats on not being "worried" about systemic racism? :deadbanana4:

Worrying is not going to resolve ****, all latam needs a revolution to reset their entire system and get equal access to education to fight these kind of views.

But you are contributing sooooooo much by expressing your worrisome in a pop culture forum.

So congrats on getting worried I guess.

1 hour ago, Trent W said:

No one cares there

First of all, I do care. Millions of afro-latinos care. Y'all really need to stop trying to speak for every latino online. :rip:

Racist non-black latinos not minding anti-blackness doesn't translate to "no one cares because latinos are not sensitive". Racist non-black people do not feel personally affected by anti-blackness simply because they're non-black racists. Let one non-latino western "gringo!!!" say one thing out of line about them and we'll see if they're so "not sensitive" and "relaxed" like you say. spoiler: they are not.

The first step to action is to acknowledge there's a problem in the first place. Every time I feel hopeless about the severity of systemic racism in Brazil, I remember how deeply anti-black Hispanic Latin America is. Y'all make my country look like a post-racial haven. 

33 minutes ago, Scars said:

First of all, I do care. Millions of afro-latinos care. Y'all really need to stop trying to speak for every latino online. :rip:

Racist non-black latinos not minding anti-blackness doesn't translate to "no one cares because latinos are not sensitive". Racist non-black people do not feel personally affected by anti-blackness simply because they're non-black racists. Let one non-latino western "gringo!!!" say one thing out of line about them and we'll see if they're so "not sensitive" and "relaxed" like you say. spoiler: they are not.

The first step to action is to acknowledge there's a problem in the first place. Every time I feel hopeless about the severity of systemic racism in Brazil, I remember how deeply anti-black Hispanic Latin America is. Y'all make my country look like a post-racial haven. 

What I was pointing out is that there’s an indifference in Latam towards racism because of  the lack of education. And to fix it it requires a whole ass revolution in each country.

but what's new? as a latino myself that was raised in those countries (not in the US) this doesn't surprise me at all... racism, colorism, classism, etc... so those latinos in Ontario must likely migrated from those countries... is ****** up, but doesn't surprise me

Not surprised. Afro latinos experience a lot of racism and colorism from white latinos so. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.