UK doctors to start prescribing patients to "take a walk"

Daydream

FITNESS-WALKING-MEALS-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

Doctors will soon be telling patients to 'get on your bike' or 'take a hike' as cycling and walking are to be prescribed by GPs in a health improvement drive announced today.

It is hoped it will ease the burden on the NHS, as well as reduce congestion on the roads as people stop using their cars for short journeys.

The Department for Transport said £12.7million has been given to 11 local authorities across England to fund the 'social prescriptions'.

Health minister Maria Caulfield said: 'Getting active is hugely beneficial for both our mental and physical health, helping reduce stress and ward off other illness such as heart disease and obesity. The UK is leading the way in embedding social prescribing in our NHS and communities across the country.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11132435/Doctors-prescribe-walking-cycling-beat-heart-disease-boost-nations-wellbeing.html

Don't want to sound like a Tory but I agree with the principle. As a nation, we are just too unhealthy.

I'm so tired of boomers drinking and smoking their whole lives, never doing any exercise and then being shocked when they aren't fit and healthy.

this makes sense but i can also see this backfiring on the NHS on a MAJOR level if studies are conducted that show that doctors and nurses dismiss legit medical conditions and tell ppl to go for a walk only for them to die the next day or w/e :skull: Also could be an issue when the inevitable medical racism occurs ex: the highest numbers of ppl doctors and nurses will prob prescribe this to are POC cuz stats show POCs medical concerns are heavily ignored and dismissed when visiting doctor offices. 

Overall, I just know this will backfire on them.

Edited by IBeMe

There's nothing wrong with this. 

Better than how some doctors prescribe anti-depressants left and right...

Sounds fine

Not sure what those millions are being used for though

This is the same thing as prescribing exercise, which has been medically proven to have extraordinary health benefits physically and mentally. This is not an issue :toofunny2:

Doctors already advise patients to do exercise, this just seems like a way for patients concerns to be fobbed off. Why they need £12.7M just to tell people to touch grass is beyond me. Britain post-Brexit is a fever dream. I think a general push towards living a healthy lifestyle as well as making it more affordable is needed.

Edited by Robert

It’s basically money to finance walking groups, biking classes, etc. i don’t really see the problem 

3 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

There's nothing wrong with this. 

Better than how some doctors prescribe anti-depressants left and right...

7 hours ago, Daydream said:

It is hoped it will ease the burden on the NHS, as well as reduce congestion on the roads as people stop using their cars for short journeys.

And what the **** does this have to do with a patient feeling bad and visiting the doctor? The stupidity. If a doctor ever prescribed that to me I would never knock on his door again. 

Do you still have to pay the prescription charge?

The OGH cure

13 hours ago, EdgeofTeeth said:

the medical version of “touch grass”

13 hours ago, IBeMe said:

this makes sense but i can also see this backfiring on the NHS on a MAJOR level if studies are conducted that show that doctors and nurses dismiss legit medical conditions and tell ppl to go for a walk only for them to die the next day or w/e :skull: Also could be an issue when the inevitable medical racism occurs ex: the highest numbers of ppl doctors and nurses will prob prescribe this to are POC cuz stats show POCs medical concerns are heavily ignored and dismissed when visiting doctor offices. 

Overall, I just know this will backfire on them.

12 hours ago, CBC said:

ATRL mods should do the same :clap3:

:ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.