Why is the standard so low for k-pop?

Miracle

Of course, there's very great k-pop groups like IVE who are capable to look forward and also serve great melodic dance-pop songs, that I wouldn't even classify as k-pop, just pop made by a korean group. But all the elements of k-pop, at least to me, sound extremely dated, like a mix of mid to late 2000s BEPs with the most generic 2012 EDM shenanigans. Most songs are extremely noisy, production based and sound basically parody-like. Everytime I see a group like BLACKPINK release a single, it instantly reminds me of the infamously named worst song of all time "Swagger Jagger" by Cher Lloyd.  This is not meant to single out any group in particular (after all, they're all the victims of what might be the will.i.am of Korea, Teddy Park), so keep it cute

Not all kpop is like that:

"I've heard total of 5 mainstream kpop songs so I'm allowed to trash entirety of the genre"

Their fans will buy whatever they put out so why bother trying to come up with something innovative and fresh? I mean a lot of people start stanning these groups before they've even released their first single :rip:

Seems like u just made this thread to **** on Blackpink's new song?

I wouldn't classify as kpop, but as pop made by koreans:hoetenks::hoetenks: Girl...

I don't know what the standard is for Kpop but this is song of the year.

I have kinda noticed that Kpop is usually more about the hype, visuals, performance than about the song itself 

that doesnt change the fact that Blackpink has a lot of bops for example and that Pink Venom chorus is hella addictive :jonny6: 

Dreamcatcher better than all other genres of music combined.  

:katie2:

22 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

"I've heard total of 5 mainstream kpop songs so I'm allowed to trash entirety of the genre"

The same comment by ATRL users in every kpop thread :deadbanana2:

People really can't accept that some people don't like kpop

For fans of REAL dance-pop, k-pop is a literal haven :biblio: It's not my fault if most western acts are busy whispering over lofi productions 

Maybe if Olivia did this with Sour i'd stan :cm:

The mainstream acts are mostly soulless, manufactured noise, but their crackhead stans think they're listening to something fresh and never done before with colorful MVs. It's clownishly hilarious tbh :clown:

Edited by Khal

1 minute ago, Saintlor said:

The same comment by ATRL users in every kpop thread :deadbanana2:

People really can't accept that some people don't like kpop

Ok? Why does that need a thread :skull: We do not give a ****

Because you only listen to BLACKPINK

spacer.png

Kpop has the most innovative songs out there

39 minutes ago, Miracle said:

that I wouldn't even classify as k-pop, just pop made by a korean group. 

K-Pop literally means Korean Pop, aka pop music made by Koreans :rip:

I can admit that the new BP song is trash, but not all Kpop is like that. SNSD was very different at the beggining of their career. At the end they kind of became like BP, though, with the Will I Am production. 

Groups like BP don't have to try because their label knows their fans will eat everything release right up. But there are tons of KPOP groups putting out fantastic music. :deadbanana:

The main focus on K-pop isn't the music. It's the brand itself, the visuals, the packaging... notice how in K-pop CDs there's every type of gadget and then maybe there's some music as well. I personally don't get it, but I can see why it would appeal to some people.

Swagger Jagger is a top tier pop song so this sounds like a you problem

31 minutes ago, Selegend said:

I have kinda noticed that Kpop is usually more about the hype, visuals, performance than about the song itself 

that doesnt change the fact that Blackpink has a lot of bops for example and that Pink Venom chorus is hella addictive :jonny6: 

I mean, if K-pop stans you see on Twitter are more deranged than the average stan is exactly because of that. No other fanbase successfully organizes streaming farms and mass buying campaigns as they do. A lot of the mainstream groups are objectively cookie cutter and indistinguishable from one another, but some people just need to vicariously live through someone and constantly make mental trips, and mainstream K-pop's marketing caters to those exact individuals. There are some boy bands with million-selling albums (95% of the copies being sold in the first week) and not one single song in the top 100 of the Korean singles chart, for example. With some acts it's a cult-like thing, and labels profit from this. :michael:

Way to go with generalising an entire genre and industry over a few poor examples. The exact same thing can be said about western pop.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.