The Last of Us | S1 | Out now, S2 coming in 2025

Hephaestus

I'm sorry.... I have to disagree with everyone here. This was not good. I loved the game, and this was... pitiful :dancehall3: the casting is all wrong (Pedro is talented but not the right choice) and Bella is tragic on her best day. I know that video game adaptations are hard in general, but I had kinda hoped HBO could pull it off.

I was wrong. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrecked

• The Last of Us

• Hephaestus

• bjorn

22 minutes ago, Scarlett Witch said:

I'm sorry.... I have to disagree with everyone here. This was not good. I loved the game, and this was... pitiful :dancehall3: the casting is all wrong (Pedro is talented but not the right choice) and Bella is tragic on her best day. I know that video game adaptations are hard in general, but I had kinda hoped HBO could pull it off.

I was wrong. 

I know nothing about the video game to be fair. I found this to be just ok. Not awful but not spectacular either; just enough for me to continue watching and hoping it gets better truly better. :celestial5:

Never played the game and i was really lost. Plot was jumping everywhere. May rewatch and give it another chance. But white lotus >

The White Lotus is...like...as drastically different a show as you can get from this lol what a random comparison to make???

Anyways loved this...score and cinematography lovely, tension effortless, Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal bodied so far. HBO stays winning. 

(ngl though I wish they'd saved the title sequence for the time jump like in the game...I liked the cold open though so w/e)

Opened to page 9 and saw extremely bad taste only to see the acclaim prior whew :clap3:amazing first episode. Coming for an Emmy sweep methinks. The cast and techs were so good. Pedro and Bella are about to be such a good team.:jonny5:

1 hour ago, Dei said:

Never played the game and i was really lost. Plot was jumping everywhere. May rewatch and give it another chance. But white lotus >

What in the world is this comparison :deadbanana4: your logic is jumping more than you are accusing the plot of jumping. 

The episode was so good, what a brilliant and thrilling introduction to this world. My heart was pounding all the way through the opening sequence. 

Edited by mystery

Not complaining bout plot jumping then praising white lotus :hoetenks:

The Last of Us

Absolutely amazing premiere in every sense of the word. I had a lot of expectations with this being my favourite game series (I even have tattoos) but they really delivered. One thing I actually preferred over the game was…

Spoiler

When Joel saw the flashback of Sarah when that Fedra soldier was aiming his gun towards Ellie. That choked me up, I’m not even going to lie. 

Also, Avril Lavigne AND Depeche Mode? :clap3:

The thread also needs updating because it’s now 99% on RT. 10s, 10s across the board!

3 hours ago, Scarlett Witch said:

I was wrong. 

You're right and you should say it 

This was incredible. Straight out of the videogame, but reworked in a way it makes more sense for TV. Just wow! :jonny:

The Last of Us

Did anybody else laugh out loud when…

Spoiler

Marlene mentioned that woman not having an ear on her head and then it showed it. I don’t know why, but that took me out

:deadbanana:

I literally can't! Incredible first episode. :jonny: I feel like a proud dad lmao.

Edited by Peep Show

The Last of Us
9 minutes ago, Peep Show said:

I literally can't! Incredible first episode. :jonny: I feel like a proud dad lmao.

Honestly, how ******* good was that? I have so much adrenaline now. I’m glad I booked the day off work to watch. 

The Last of Us

This has definitely joined Fringe and Lost by being one of the best opening episodes to a TV show. :clap3:

12 minutes ago, The Last of Us said:

This has definitely joined Fringe and Lost by being one of the best opening episodes to a TV show. :clap3:

The taste :clap3:Lost is my favorite TV show of all time (probably topped by TLOU when it's all said and done).

The Last of Us
6 minutes ago, Peep Show said:

The taste :clap3:Lost is my favorite TV show of all time (probably topped by TLOU when it's all said and done).

I love how Anna Torv was also in Fringe, she really said “yes” to being in amazing premieres :clap3:

Lost was a great show, but I just have so much emotional investment in the world of TLOU. I feel like I’ve just witnessed my own child win an award or something lol. It might sound silly, but I’m so proud of what they’ve been able to do with the first episode. Can’t wait for the next 8 episodes. 

Whew I’m tempted to do another TLOU run through now. :wanda:

7 minutes ago, The Last of Us said:

I love how Anna Torv was also in Fringe, she really said “yes” to being in amazing premieres :clap3:

Lost was a great show, but I just have so much emotional investment in the world of TLOU. I feel like I’ve just witnessed my own child win an award or something lol. It might sound silly, but I’m so proud of what they’ve been able to do with the first episode. Can’t wait for the next 8 episodes. 

Like I said in my other post I feel like a proud dad, so I can completely relate to that. I've been obsessed with TLOU since the first game came out. I pretty much forced most of my family members and friends to play the games. :rip: Don't even get me started on TLOU2, I fell into depression for like 2 weeks after finishing it. :jonny:

Edited by Peep Show

The Last of Us
9 minutes ago, Peep Show said:

Like I said in my other post I feel like a proud dad, so I can completely relate to that. I've been obsessed with TLOU since the first game came out. I pretty much forced most of my family members and friends to play the games. :rip: Don't even get me started on TLOU2, I fell into depression for like 2 weeks after finishing it. :jonny:

I feel the same way. I won’t go into too much detail, as I don’t want to trauma dump, but my ex-boyfriend was really excited for the game coming out as he was a huge fan of Uncharted / Naughty Dog but he passed away about a month before it came out, so I played it on his behalf and had no idea what I was getting myself into. Everything with Joel / Sarah just hit me like a ton of bricks and this game honestly became a form of therapy for me. It’s why I got a tattoo to remember this quote from the game…

Spoiler

I struggled for a long time with survivin'. And you- No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for.

Both Part I and Part II were phenomenal games to me and I can’t wait to see how they translate into a television series. :WAP:

Edited by The Last of Us

i'm seeing the general consensus being that this was phenomenal but i found the episode to be only ok? it was good i guess? maybe my expectations were just to high. but i just don't know that there was enough here to really excite an audience in the way that something like house of the dragon does. i don't want to complain but i am a little disappointed, i hope it gets better week to week. i feel like they were ticking all the boxes to set up the show, with the ending scene being the real beginning but i feel they could have done a better job with the fedra/fireflies stuff. the stuff with joel, tommy and sarah was cool but that was like 10 minutes and then the rest of the ep was just ok.. like i think they did a good job, but the game hit all the notes better i guess? they are gonna have a real issue with viewership if this is how its gonna be week to week, i will continue ofc but you need something in each episode that is going to keep the conversation going until the next episode and with how much money they spent they really should have made sure each episode had that.

things i did like was the casting surprisingly i think it was all really good and i think i even like tess more in the show than in the game.

4 minutes ago, The Last of Us said:

I feel the same way. I won’t go into too much detail, as I don’t want to trauma dump, but my ex-boyfriend was really excited for the game coming out as he was a huge fan of Uncharted / Naughty Dog but he passed away about a month before it came out, so I played it on his behalf and had no idea what I was getting myself into. Everything with Joel / Sarah just hit me like a ton of bricks and this game honestly became a form of therapy for me. It’s why I got a tattoo to remember this quote from the game…

Hide contents

I struggled for a long time with survivin'. And you- No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for.

Both Part I and Part II were phenomenal games to me and I can’t wait to see how they translate into a television series. :WAP:

Wow, so sad to hear about that. It's so nice that you played it on his behalf, I'm sure he would've appreciated it. That quote is also beautiful, very powerful message! :heart2:

The Last of Us
3 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Wow, so sad to hear about that. It's so nice that you played it on his behalf, I'm sure he would've appreciated it. That quote is also beautiful, very powerful message! :heart2:

Yeah, it felt like Joel was saying it to me. I’m not exaggerating when I say it felt like therapy.

On a more lighter note, I’ve found the scene that made me cackle…

:deadbanana:

The Last of Us
6 minutes ago, HabbGaga said:

i'm seeing the general consensus being that this was phenomenal

6 minutes ago, HabbGaga said:

they are gonna have a real issue with viewership if this is how its gonna be week to week,

Do you not see the contradiction here? If the general consensus is that it was phenomenal, then why would they have an issue with viewership for future episodes? It’s each to their own, but going off YouTube reactions and Twitter comments, it seems like a lot of people are now hooked and talking about how this was one of the best intros to a television series etc, so if anything, I could see the viewership growing throughout the series. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.