After many hits, your new song is barely a hit. What to do?

Fastlane

Position  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Position

• Perform daily on the high-rated talk show
    • Say scandalous things to Oprah
    • Embarrassing yourself at the Grammys
    • Leak obscene photos online
    • The restart of the album recording
    • A remix w/ latest US #1 act who has a terrible reputation
    • Radically change the artist's image before promo
    • Become an activist on current issues on Tik Tok/Twitter
    • Leave everything as it is

Plot: You are a manager of the successful pop star who can be listed as an A-category.

Your client has an impeccable reputation, no scandals have been noticed before.

After years of US No. 1's, your new song barely made the top 10 on Hot 100 (#8 on the first week in Hot 100). 

The song did not receive unanimously good reviews, but it did not cause outright negativity either.

There has been no promo yet, including public appearances.

Now it is the second week since the release.

The song is gaining momentum on the radio, while gradually losing popularity on streaming (#1 on 1st day, #12 now).

The new album has already been recorded and sounds similar to the song.

The record was not heard by the focus group, but the label approves the release of the album.

As a manager, you understand that something is going wrong.

In a few days, a Grammy performance, an interview with Oprah and the release of a new expensive music video are scheduled.

Choose your position.

Edited by Fastlane

All of the above. Ain't letting myself get a single flop in my flawless chart record.

Leave everything as it is, no other thing in the Op works.

The only way to get a hit is buy a collab with a current artist or have some luck and go viral on tiktok

remix it with a feature and book TTH for months, then add said remix to original album and inflate stats. when all else fails, i can always travel the world and date a random connected model for blog headlines.

7VYeNOh.gif

I’m Katy Perry, my back catalogue makes me more money than the majority of popular pop girls discographies, so oh well! I’ll release what I want and do what I want as I have a hot man and a child!

Get into the studio and make a better song. Get better co-writers, better producers. Make a song that is not too trendy that it seems lifeless but also not too out there that it doesn't click with the GP.

8 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Make a song that is not too trendy that it seems lifeless but also not too out there that it doesn't click with the GP.

Honestly this is the way to go in the industry. Lorde's Royals, for example, was a stark contrast to the EDM noises of 2013, but the production, while minimal, also didn't steer too far from the ones found in mainstream, and that's what made the GP click. 

28 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

Plot: You are a manager of the successful pop star who can be listed as an A-category.

Your client has an impeccable reputation, no scandals have been noticed before.

After years of US No. 1's, your new song barely made the top 10 on Hot 100 (#8 on the first week in Hot 100). 

The song did not receive unanimously good reviews, but it did not cause outright negativity either.

There has been no promo yet, including public appearances.

Now it is the second week since the release.

The song is gaining momentum on the radio, while gradually losing popularity on streaming (#1 on 1st day, #12 now).

The new album has already been recorded and sounds similar to the song.

The record was not heard by the focus group, but the label approves the release of the album.

As a manager, you understand that something is going wrong.

In a few days, a Grammy performance, an interview with Oprah and the release of a new expensive music video are scheduled.

Choose your position.

Why do I feel like OP is secretly a manager for an MPG and needed some quick ideas to run thru ha client :eli:

Promote it or release remixes with trendy acts.

Scandals would only boost google searches :skull:

2 minutes ago, ?????? said:

Honestly this is the way to go in the industry. Lorde's Royals, for example, was a stark contrast to the EDM noises of 2013, but the production, while minimal, also didn't steer too far from the ones found in mainstream, and that's what made the GP click. 

I think what works in 2022 are minimal instrumentals that almost have an indie like quality to them, but the structure of a pop song

I would just move on to the next single in a few months 

Drop the next song and see what sticks. If nothing sticks, then drop the album as a mixtape and start fresh.

3 minutes ago, ?????? said:

Why do I feel like OP is secretly a manager for an MPG and needed some quick ideas to run thru ha client :eli:

No, I'm just terribly burnt out at my job and trying to cheer up with the help of ATRL. :duck:

Collab with Bebe Rexha or Zara Larson. 

It depends. You might need a rebranding if the public is tired of your style.

Or, if the case is that you’ve been dropping albums nonstop for like 3 years in a row, you might need to take a break to rest your image.

force convince the singer to make tiktoks and act quirky on twitter. if it's still not sticking after 2 weeks then abandon it and prepare for single #2

as long as I make tons of cash I wouldn't care

Leave everything as it is and make another passionate and commercial project soon after

If I really believed in the song I would stick by it and stick to the plan. 

Fans respect artists who commit to their eras or songs despite on reception or sales, and often they come to be iconic moments for that artist. 

#8 on BB Hot 100 is still pretty high though

I think I'd scrap few songs of the album and tried to record few song with different sound while sending cheque to Charli D'Amelio to do TikTok video of my latest single

#8 is still a top 10 so i wouldn’t be too worried.

i’d probably record a new song for single 2 that’s bit fresh with a trendy feature to keep the era afloat tho.

Do a livestream for days a la Big Brother so the GP would turn on you even more :swan:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.