Variety skulldrags Marvel actors: No star power, flops outside MCU

Vin

Tom Cruise commands a significant percentage of the movies’ first-dollar gross. In the case of “Top Gun: Maverick,” still flying high at nearly $1.2 billion at the global box office, sources estimate that Cruise will net $100 million or more from ticket sales, his salary and his eventual cut of home entertainment rentals and streaming revenue. 

Cruise’s pact is a vestige of a time when stars, not superheroes, were the reason that audiences flocked to movie theaters to see a new release. But things have changed since Marvel took the box office hostage in the early aughts, putting an interchangeable array of Chrises in spandex and masks. The problem is that even though those actors are surefire draws any time the Avengers assemble, they can't attract a crowd when they try to leverage their success in other genres. Source

"Interchangeable array of Chrises." 

8tzTm7L.gif

Do you agree or disagree? Are Marvel actors generic with no star power to draw an audience outside of the MCU?

...Vin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Happylittlepunk

• tiagol88

• Sharapov

• Zoe_

Oh wow :deadbanana4:

the fatigue is starting I guess 

It's well known alot of them hold little star power outside of the MCU, but that's because alot of them aren't really great actors. You don't really need to be doing Marvel pictures.

Why are they mad though?

Tom has been making movies since the 80's. Marvel has launched the careers of many new actors and elevated those that were already famous. :lakitu:

The ''interchangeable array of Chrises'  is killing me :bibliahh:

I enjoy my fair share of MCU content and even though the latest multiverse plot has lost me quite significantly, I'm still finding appreciation in many of Phase 4's movies ("Shang-Chi" being an absolute highlight so far). However, Variety didn't lie at all with their criticism, and it has been an ongoing pattern to see Marvel actors flopping disastrously when venturing out into other types of films ("Dolittle", "Men In Black: International", and "Uncharted" being notorious examples). It's an interesting observation and a huge contrast to the days where Tom Cruise's undeniable star power could make any movie into a blockbuster. 

I will say we should also take into account the fact these actors tends to pick pretty mediocre and subpar movies beyond their MCU ventures, so that probably plays a role as well. It's almost like they become complacent with their success within the franchise and don't look to challenge themselves as actors anymore. There are exceptions, of course - like Scarlett Johansson delivering a career-best performance on "Marriage Story", or Chris Evans doing really well on "Knives Out". But most times Marvel actors and actresses seem unable to translate their hype and fan support to other unrelated movies, which is worth analysing.

Edited by Moonlight Nation

17 minutes ago, Katamari said:

Oh wow :deadbanana4:

the fatigue is starting I guess 

Yeah i can't believe it's happening now :deadbanana4:

Phase 4 and VFX artists exposing them really took a tool on MCU's brand :deadbanana4:

Fffggg the skulldrag :deadbanana: Kinda unprofessional imo sounds like an ATRL drag. But ya, most MCU actors haven’t done much outside marvel. I would like to know the data on if marvel fans even see other movies at theaters. With so many comic book movies and tv shows, I’d think a lot don’t see much else in theaters.

9 minutes ago, Moonlight Nation said:

I enjoy my fair share of MCU content and even though the latest multiverse plot has lost me quite significantly, I'm still finding appreciation in many of Phase 4's movies ("Shang-Chi" being an absolute highlight so far). However, Variety didn't lie at all with their criticism, and it has been an ongoing pattern to see Marvel actors flopping disastrously when venturing out into other types of films ("Dolittle", "Men In Black: International", and "Uncharted" being notorious examples). It's an interesting observation and a huge contrast to the days where Tom Cruise's undeniable star power could make any movie into a blockbuster. 

I will say we should also take into account the fact these actors tends to pick pretty mediocre and subpar movies beyond their MCU ventures, so that probably plays a role as well. It's almost like they become complacent with their success within the franchise and don't look to challenge themselves as actors anymore. There are exceptions, of course - like Scarlett Johansson delivering a career-best performance on "Marriage Story", or Chris Evans doing really well on "Knives Out". But most times Marvel actors and actresses seem unable to translate their hype and fan support to other unrelated movies, which is worth analysing.

You the hit the nail but I also think Robert Downey jr has done well for himself outside mcu also. Tom Holland is still new so I feel like he still has a chance to grow. Chris hemsworth is trying but I don’t see him do any better outside of action movies. Benedict cumberbatch does extremely well out I side of mcu movies also same could be said for Tim Huddleston I think the only real actors who struggling are the beef cake types. 

They should have stopped after Avengers Endgame but I guess they want to be shamed and dragged ruthlessly into stopping making more movies..  take a break for a decade tbh

8 minutes ago, Moonlight Nation said:

Imagine flopping hard with a Disney-Pixar film.

8tzTm7L.gif

One of Marvel's interchangeable array of Chrises (and Marvel's generic Tom) flopped hard with Disney-Pixar's "Onward" and then another one of Marvel's interchangeable array of Chrises flopped hard with Disney-Pixar's "Lightyear." It almost as if audiences are actively avoiding Marvel actors outside of MCU. Audiences eagerly flocked to see "Coco" and "Encanto" and said NO! to Marvel actors outside the MCU.

8tzTm7L.gif

...Vin

21 minutes ago, Moonlight Nation said:

I just don't think the correlation isn't there. I think its more of a case of the 'Hollywood megastar' dying out the same way the Beyonce's and the Taylor's of the music industry are an ancient and dying breed, name me ONE Hollywood actor post 2010s that has that instantaneous box office pull, not even Jennifer Lawrence had that.  

I mean sure you have Holland, Downey and Hemsworth who are all lowkey flops outside of their Marvel roles but you also have Johannson who has been smashing it with Marriage Story + Jojo Rabbit, Pugh who had had nonstop bangers with Midsommar + Little Women + now the highly anticipated Don't Worry Darling, Zendaya who has had a fruitful career outside of being MJ (Euphoria, Dune).

I think its also important to note that the MCU has actors who, while not being box office juggernauts, have had acclaimed roles left right and center. Case in point: Elizabeth Olsen. She's more publicly known as both Wanda and the lost Olsen sister but she's had a string of critically acclaimed projects from Silent House (amazing horror film btw), Martha Marcy May, Wind River, Oldboy, Sorry For Your Loss, Ingrid Goes West. Case in point #2: Benedict Cumberbatch. He has his blockbuster smashes with Dr. Strange but also has amazing TV presence with Dr. Who, has amazing ACCLAIMED roles (something Tom Cruise will never see the light of day with) with The Imitation Game, Power of the Dog (best film of 2021 imo) and Courier.

Some MCU actors are just not the type to be blockbuster pulls and are more of the indie type and I think its reflective with how they chose to go to the MCU (a lot of them say 'they want the big superhero movie every now and then then return to small dramatic roles').

tl;dr: mcu actors having no star power is less of a 'the mcu cant produce talent' but more of the hollywood star dying out because of big franchises taking over instead of the big 'star actor'.

Edited by MingYouToo

oh?

Edited by BadBoy

:biblio:

11 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

You the hit the nail but I also think Robert Downey jr has done well for himself outside mcu also. Tom Holland is still new so I feel like he still has a chance to grow. Chris hemsworth is trying but I don’t see him do any better outside of action movies. Benedict cumberbatch does extremely well out I side of mcu movies also same could be said for Tim Huddleston I think the only real actors who struggling are the beef cake types. 

d688d8fbb6845fff52fd9248b378f88a.gif

Tom Holland is not going to grow. He has no range... at all, and it's been that way for a long while. Tom Holland thinks having watery eyes with a little fake blood on his face makes him a "dramatic actor." It was embarrassing how he was playing Peter Parker in "Uncharted." :rip: (And he used the "watery eyes with a little fake blood on his face" tactic again in that film.)

4 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

I just don't think the correlation isn't there. I think its more of a case of the 'Hollywood megastar' dying out the same way the Beyonce's and the Taylor's of the music industry are an ancient and dying breed, name me ONE Hollywood actor post 2010s that has that instantaneous box office pull, not even Jennifer Lawrence had that.  

I mean sure you have Holland, Downey and Hemsworth who are all lowkey flops outside of their Marvel roles but you also have Johannson who has been smashing it with Marriage Story + Jojo Rabbit, Pugh who had had nonstop bangers with Midsommar + Little Women + now the highly anticipated Don't Worry Darling, Zendaya who has had a fruitful career outside of being MJ (Euphoria, Dune).

I think its also important to note that the MCU has actors who, while not being box office juggernauts, have had acclaimed roles left right and center. Case in point: Elizabeth Olsen. She's more publicly known as both Wanda and the lost Olsen sister but she's had a string of critically acclaimed projects from Silent House (amazing horror film btw), Martha Marcy May, Wind River, Oldboy, Sorry For Your Loss, Ingrid Goes West. 

Some MCU actors are just not the type to be blockbuster pulls and are more of the indie type and I think its reflective with how they chose to go to the MCU (a lot of them say 'they want the big superhero movie every now and then then return to small dramatic roles')

Some Marvel actors "don't count" in the "no star power" criticism, like Elizabeth Olsen. She likes indie projects and isn't aiming for megastar success after she's done with Marvel, unlike other Marvel actors who continually flop by hopping from one failed franchise to another outside of MCU.

bx2U1Vi.gif

...Vin

It's true but let's not act like Tom Cruise is the end all be all of movie stars when I'm pretty sure he's had several box office bombs in the past 10 years, The Mummy remake was just a few years ago after all.

Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock are much more impressive box office stars IMO

agreed. tom cruise, brad pitt, leo, will smith, julia roberts... those were actual STARS who could carry films

the marvel people are FACELESS

funny enough pratt aka the most hated one is the only one who can carry movies by himself

bx2U1Vi.gif

Edited by Sharapov

I guess being a butts-in-seats movie star is not for everybody. 

Annnnnd it's true :clap3:

17 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

I think its also important to note that the MCU has actors who, while not being box office juggernauts, have had acclaimed roles left right and center. Case in point: Elizabeth Olsen. She's more publicly known as both Wanda and the lost Olsen sister but she's had a string of critically acclaimed projects from Silent House (amazing horror film btw), Martha Marcy May, Wind River, Oldboy, Sorry For Your Loss, Ingrid Goes West. Case in point #2: Benedict Cumberbatch. He has his blockbuster smashes with Dr. Strange but also has amazing TV presence with Dr. Who, has amazing ACCLAIMED roles (something Tom Cruise will never see the light of day with) with The Imitation Game, Power of the Dog (best film of 2021 imo) and Courier.

Some MCU actors are just not the type to be blockbuster pulls and are more of the indie type and I think its reflective with how they chose to go to the MCU (a lot of them say 'they want the big superhero movie every now and then then return to small dramatic roles').

tl;dr: mcu actors having no star power is less of a 'the mcu cant produce talent' but more of the hollywood star dying out because of big franchises taking over instead of the big 'star actor'.

well said :clap3:

4 minutes ago, Dark Miracles said:

It's true but let's not act like Tom Cruise is the end all be all of movie stars when I'm pretty sure he's had several box office bombs in the past 10 years, The Mummy remake was just a few years ago after all.

Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock are much more impressive box office stars IMO

the mummy made +400m

the new matrix one made 150m :clown:

Edited by Sharapov

5 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Robert Downey Jr. and Benedict Cumberbatch definitely had the advantage of being well established actors prior to getting their MCU roles, with amazing and career-defining performances to their names ( @MingYouTooBenedict wasn't on Doctor Who, by the way - he played Sherlock on the eponymous BBC series, which was under the same showrunners ). I believe Robert deliberately chose to play it safe post-"Iron Man", and the Sherlock Holmes films did solid all things considered. But yeah, Benedict is still thriving and never fails to get acclaim for his roles - it surely helps he seems to be very selective of the movies and series he wants to participate in.

I agree Tom Holland still has room for growth, and honestly, his biggest issue right now leans more into the underwhelming movies he's picking rather than his abilities as an actor, because he's shown his undeniable talent time and time again (especially on "No Way Home"). 

I don't recall any noteworthy roles from Tom Hiddleston beyond Loki, though, but that's probably me being uninformed. I suspect he might also selective on what he associates himself with, opting for quality over quantity.

4 minutes ago, Sharapov said:

the mummy made +400m

the new matrix one made 150m :clown:

Matrix Resurrections was released simultaneously on streaming though

this and one of the worst cases is tom holland tbh. i have literally seen people compare him to leonardo dicaprio and brad pitt as if he doesn’t have 0 talent or range and can only play peter parker. the second he’s out of the mcu he will be over :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.