Top Posters In This Topic

• professor2000

• Attitude

• dabunique

• Thinking Of You

Who are they even ?

Never ever heard one of their song or read their name lol

Never heard of them but the cut to 2010 was brutal :deadbanana:

Yes, Diddy is known for giving up on his artists soon after he signs them and he has always been an absolutely problematic manager, but did anyone expect them to last?

:toofunny2:

This doc. might appear to be distasteful but “DREAM” were just one of the dozens of manufactured groups who found success with a single or two during the Teen-Pop era of 1997-2001 and, once that was over, they failed to transition anything or anywhere else. None of them were songwriters or great singers and didn’t even have great material overall so where were they hoping to go?

Still, “He Loves U Not” was a bop and Melissa was gorgeous. 

:clap3:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

There’s no shame in what they do now. What’s the problem? That type of success is fleeting, it’s incredible that they had those experiences and memories at all, very, very few people get the chance & it doesn’t take away from their efforts. 

The juxtaposition was distasteful. I haven’t seen the doc, but it’d be better off diving into who actually makes the money from these artists, contracts etc. 

Edited by FOCK

17 minutes ago, Crashed said:

Never heard of them but the cut to 2010 was brutal :deadbanana:

17 minutes ago, Flocon said:

Who are they even ?

Never ever heard one of their song or read their name lol

They had two top ten hits between 2000-2001.

This song peaked at #2 on the Hot 100 for four weeks behind Destiny’s Child “Independent Women” in early 2001, which was the first time two girl groups held the top two positions. 

They opened for N’Sync in 2000 and toured with Christina Aguilera, briefly. 

Diddy once said they were the “Urban Spice Girls” which was both hilarious and far from true.

:rip:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

7 minutes ago, FOCK said:

There’s no shame in what they do now. What’s the problem? That type of success is fleeting, it’s incredible that they had those experiences and memories at all, very, very few people get the chance & it doesn’t take away from their efforts. 

The juxtaposition was distasteful. I haven’t seen the doc, but it’d be better off diving into who actually makes the money from these artists, contracts etc. 

I feel the same. A short-lasting girl group from the early 00s, the girls weren't making much money to begin with. In 2001 we had Popstars in Italy and a girl group called Lollipop formed from there. They had a similar trajectory to Dream - dropped by their 2nd album and now only one of them still works in the showbiz while the other four all have regular jobs. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Dream was such a moment! The bops! The performances!  :weeps:

The edit to 2010... :skull:

Edited by QueenBLadyG

3 minutes ago, XtinaStripped said:

I still play “He Loves U Not”. Bop.

Same. I even saw their CD at a music store in Milan, when I go back I'm gonna grab it (confident that I'm the only person in this country who would do that)!

18 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Yes, Diddy is known for giving up on his artists soon after he signs them and he has always been an absolutely problematic manager, but did anyone expect them to last?

This doc. might appear to be distasteful but “DREAM” were just one of the dozens of manufactured groups who found success with a single or two during the Teen-Pop era of 1997-2001 and, once that was over, they failed to transition anything or anywhere else. None of them were songwriters or great singers and didn’t even have great material overall so where were they hoping to go?

Exactly!!!

Diddy is terrible with his artists 

22 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

I think they could've gone on for a few more years. The problem with them and 3LW was that they completely changed their images with their second albums. They went from He Loves You Not to this:

From what they've said over the years Diddy basically forced this song on them along with the sexier image. This song doesn't even match the rest of the sound from their shelved second album. It bombed and Diddy dropped them. :skull:

7 minutes ago, Attitude said:

I think they could've gone on for a few more years. The problem with them and 3LW was that they completely changed their images with their second albums. They went from He Loves You Not to this:

From what they've said over the years Diddy basically forced this song on them along with the sexier image. This song doesn't even match the rest of the sound from their shelved second album. It bombed and Diddy dropped them. :skull:

Gosh. This song was absolutely terrible!

:deadbanana4:

The production was always so un-coordinated to me. I remember hearing it on the radio back in 2001 and even then it was awful. It was also around the time where Diddy made the “Urban Spice Girls” comment. 

Diddy also made them remix this song during the same time and it wasn’t too bad actually. It received a lot of airplay on Urban radio. 

I have never heard of them nor do I recognize their “hits,” this is giving Mandela Effect :deadbanana: I saw “Diddy’s girl group” in the title and thought of Diddy Dirty Money :skull: 

1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

This song peaked at #2 on the Hot 100 for four weeks behind Destiny’s Child “Independent Women” in early 2001, which was the first time two girl groups held the top two positions. 

Diddy once said they were the “Urban Spice Girls” which was both hilarious and far from true.

Wait, this low key bops :jamming:

1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

This song peaked at #2 on the Hot 100 for four weeks behind Destiny’s Child “Independent Women” in early 2001, which was the first time two girl groups held the top two positions

woo, this is so impressive :party:

3 hours ago, Sesame said:

Keep watching for the shocking moment :deadvision:

It's a shame because Puffy shouldn't be rewarded as an icon for all the damage he's done.

2 hours ago, Attitude said:

I disagree. TLC changed their image and that worked. They were kids then they became woman which was Puffy's desperate attempt here but he failed.

I mean sidebar he even tried to copy T boz signature voice with one of the singers from Total.

Diddy didn't care to grow them. He wanted a platinum album. He got it and then purposely pushed them to do something that he KNEW wasn;t going to sell

You know people have marketing plans to make and break an artist. They never talk about the marketing plan to break an artist.

See you are supposed to go with if it ain't broke don't fix it and make minimal shifts/reinventions...and then when the audience is getting tired take a break and reinvent when a label makes such a drastic image shift in album #2 IT IS PLANNED to get the artist to flop. People think oh the label wants to make money yes but the artist is also a liability and new acts are there for them to run the same game. Its sad

YOu can tell he didn't care by how he treated their 2nd single. Remixing to atrocity while the original was a cute lil pop diddy pun intended

2 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Gosh. This song was absolutely terrible!

:deadbanana4:

The production was always so un-coordinated to me. I remember hearing it on the radio back in 2001 and even then it was awful. It was also around the time where Diddy made the “Urban Spice Girls” comment. 

Diddy also made them remix this song during the same time and it wasn’t too bad actually. It received a lot of airplay on Urban radio. 

I'm not sure I remember the remix getting alot of play and that's because the remix is tragic. The original was at least cute but yes the remix tanked on all levels. Little play all around. This is how you KNOW the label set them up to fail after they got the platinum plaque the label's mission was accomplished.

It's a shame because they could have had at least two platinum albums if the label cared to give them a shot.

Many of Puffy's urban artists were suffering so they were thrown out there to give him a platinum girl group hit and he left them for dead.

2 hours ago, Mitsouko said:

I have never heard of them nor do I recognize their “hits,” this is giving Mandela Effect :deadbanana: I saw “Diddy’s girl group” in the title and thought of Diddy Dirty Money :skull: 

it's because they only had 1 hit.

The label had NO intention of keeping their career going after they got the platinum album they wanted. Apparently, platinum = a certain amount of money which is why back then Puffy cared about getting to platinum as much as possible.

That cut was brutal :deadbanana4: people are more than what they do for a living

I knew it was Dream cuz if it was DK they would say so

He Loves Me Not remains dat bop 

This show would’ve been huge :eek: missed opportunity. I hope they’re all doing well.

That was actually sad seeing that cut. Their debut album is so good, bops on bops. :jonny5:

3 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

What was the 2nd Top 10? I missed that one :skull: 

I bought their album, and it was OK. 

Vocally + dancing-wise they weren’t doing anything we hadn’t seen before. :laugh:  And they didn’t write/produce.   Wonder how much of that was Diddy’s doing? 

But they were just kinda THERE.  So I’m not surprised they disappeared.  

Just like Hoku, Samantha Mumba, BBMAK, and the other quick Pop moments, they pretty much did what they were gonna do.  :skull: 

Edited by professor2000

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.