Roger Waters drags Drake, The Weeknd: 'I am far, far, far more important'

midnightdawn

Roger Waters has a few things to say about today's music stars.

At 78, the famous rocker and former Pink Floyd star is showing no signs of slowing down — or biting his tongue. In a new interview, Waters stated that while he's not intentionally taking a hit at the musical acts of today, he believes he is "far, far, far more important" than Canadian stars like the Weeknd and Drake.

The discussion began when Waters asked why none of the newspapers in Toronto had sent a critic to cover his show there. He was told by the reporter that his show was scheduled on the same evening as the Weeknd's performance across town, which was ultimately canceled.

"I’m not trying to make a personal attack. I’m just saying it seemed odd. And, by the way, with all due respect to the Weeknd or Drake or any of them, I am far, far, far more important than any of them will ever be, however many billions of streams they’ve got," Waters told the Globe and Mail.

Waters emphasized that he was scheduled to perform two nights in a row, and that the content of his work was more reflective of what's currently happening in the world.

"There is stuff going on here that is fundamentally important to all of our lives," he added.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roger-waters-more-important-than-the-weeknd-drake-200354477.html

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kevin Parker

• Bears01

• perfect blue

• PennywiseTheClown

Top Posters In This Topic

Legend spills :clap3:

He's a musical legend, but this statement just reeks of insecurity. Lashing out at other artists just because he didn't get an article in the local press is embarrassing.

What a pathetic boomer. He can’t handle that other musicians are more relevant than him in 2022 

He's right but he shouldn't say it. His legacy speaks for itself and what he's done will still be more remembered than most artists' outputs

Sounds a lot like fans of artists from a previous generation arguing about over the success of a current generation artist. 

Oof sounds incredibly lame and embarrassing.

He's right but him screaming for relevancy in 2022:

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

Hmm, he's actually wrong. If you read the full article, he says he's more important because of the show and music he is doing right now, and not because of his old music. But it actually is his old music that makes him more "important" and that gives him a bigger legacy in music than either the Weeknd or Drake - quite frankly, no-one gives a rat's ass what he does now.

Y'all don't get it, he isn't referring to the music itself but to the message of the music. He thinks his message about war, economics and social issues is way more important than some popstars singing about a lover. And he's right

Don't see him charting on the Spotify Charts, so no

His work will still be relevant in 50 years while no one will check for Drake or The Weeknd by 2030

Please, everyone is forgotten eventually :rip:

3 minutes ago, Dephira said:

His work will still be relevant in 50 years while no one will check for Drake or The Weeknd by 2030

This... he's right. 

This statement reeks of insecurity and I don't like how he specifically chose to mention black artists.

Like he could've mentioned so many other Canadian singers like Bieber or Mendes. 

This made me lose a lot of respect for him. 

4 minutes ago, Pokemonfan1515 said:

This statement reeks of insecurity and I don't like how he specifically chose to mention black artists.

Like he could've mentioned so many other Canadian singers like Bieber or Mendes. 

The reporter specifically asked him about The Weeknd. Tbh I think the reporter was kinda of shady with that question lol

2 minutes ago, Pokemonfan1515 said:

He mentioned The Weeknd because of their show being scheduled on the same day and Drake because he’s obviously the biggest current Canadian artist, has nothing to do with race.
-

Anyway, he’s a legend and right but this didn’t need to be said, he’s always had such a huge ego :skull: 

27 minutes ago, ArtForFreedom said:

This... he's right. 

I’m sure many people said that about Madonna and other icons back in the day, so maybe y’all shouldn’t jump to conclusions like this so fast. 

Edit: I posted twice :rip:

Edited by Marla Singer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.