The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

Absolutely loved this film, was amazing to watch in the cinema. Halle Bailey was an in incredible Ariel. Can't wait to see her inΒ The Little Mermaid 2:Β Return to the Sea. Who will play Melody? :eli:

34 minutes ago, Tropical said:

Absolutely loved this film, was amazing to watch in the cinema. Halle Bailey was an in incredible Ariel. Can't wait to see her inΒ The Little Mermaid 2:Β Return to the Sea. Who will play Melody? :eli:

nala's daughter

6 hours ago, Tropical said:

Β Can't wait to see her inΒ The Little Mermaid 2:Β Return to the Sea. Who will play Melody? :eli:

None .the movie failed so there's no sequelΒ 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

20 hours ago, Sexyzinger said:

It's not breaking even.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

It hasn't even hit $500M yet, but The Flash is making everything look like a smash so maybe TLM won.

• Like 2

I had no spectations after all... and I actually enjoyed it!

Β 

Wouldnt say I loved it cause there was something weird about it... I couldnt say what exactly... but Halle ate and left no crumbs, she did amazing! Just missing iconic scenes like the all sisters at the begining or Sebastian and the chef, instead of Eric's solo, for example... but I could understand the reasons, I guess...

Β 

Still, completely undeserved hate and I dont understand why the figures are not higher, honestly... still decent numbers, calling it a flop is not justified

15 hours ago, Xtina23 said:

So we're comparing Maleficent with Ariel now?

Ariel is an iconic Disney character and this movie should have done 3x more based on the title alone.

A flop is a flop. Oh well...

Given the dislike rate in Youtube there were chances it would end up making similar numbers to Dumbo, WW.Β Β 

Β 

America saved it.Β 

Β 

It obviously would fly past 1B had Ariel been a white redhead but it is what it is.Β 

Β 

Better to get the money back than to lose $100M.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Aristotle

2 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Given the dislike rate in Youtube there were chances it would end up making similar numbers to Dumbo, WW.Β Β 

Β 

America saved it.Β 

Β 

It obviously would fly past 1B had Ariel been a white redhead but it is what it is.Β 

Β 

Better to get the money back than to lose $100M.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Little mermaid needs $550M-$600M to break even.. right now it has $466M ..I'm afraid that it's difficult for the movie to break evenΒ 

Edited by Sweetestsecret

33 minutes ago, Sweetestsecret said:

Little mermaid needs $550M-$600M to break even.. right now it has $466M ..I'm afraid that it's difficult for the movie to break evenΒ 

Don't be afraid, it will absolutely break even at the box office and then continue to make money once it's on streaming. :heart:

2 hours ago, MrLovett said:

Don't be afraid, it will absolutely break even at the box office and then continue to make money once it's on streaming. :heart:

Disney+ doesn’t make any money. That’s the problem. Disney doesn’t make these movies to break even and make no profit. The film turned out to be a disaster for them.Β 

Edited by Horizon Flame
  • Like 1

My sister and her friend liked it a lot, the one hasn't even watched the original :rip:Β 'cause she never liked children's movies. Any word on when we can expect this on Disney+? I cannot wait to watch it again.Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizon Flame said:

Disney+ doesn’t make any money. That’s the problem. Disney doesn’t make these movies to break even and make no profit. The film turned out to be a disaster for them.Β 

Sure, Jan.

Β 

So Encanto is a fiasco?Β 

Β 

"The film turned out to be a disaster for them."Β 

Β 

Source: Horizon Flame from ATRLΒ :gaycat4:

1 hour ago, CosTaSsSs said:

My sister and her friend liked it a lot, the one hasn't even watched the original :rip:Β 'cause she never liked children's movies. Any word on when we can expect this on Disney+? I cannot wait to watch it again.Β 

The streets are saying it's August or SeptemberΒ :gaycat6:

This kind of statement is really dangerous and completely unfounded in 2023 where a lot of IPs failed miserably. You all seem to completely ignore the performance worldwide of the first movie. As this one, it was basically a flop outside of the US with main revenues coming from the US only.

Β 

Thinking that TLM had the same power of Aladdin was biased from the start.Β 

Β 

There is also a reason why Disney only focused the promo in the US with only avant premiere in other countries but very limited and almost no other kind of promo. + Halle voice is basically completely eradicated from the movie for other countries.Β 

Β 

Being so sure that the movie would have been a bigger success with a white girl is weird imo, when it could have been a bigger flop. The casting at least drove a lot of discussions surrounding the movie regarding the casting, way more than if Ariel was a copy paste.Β 

Β 

EDIT: Sorry wanted to quote Aristotle but it didn't workΒ 

Edited by Monsieurgedeon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Horizon Flame said:

It's so wild to see people just make things up and state it like it's a fact. :deadbanana4: Wow.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, V$. said:

Sure, Jan.

Β 

So Encanto is a fiasco?Β 

Β 

"The film turned out to be a disaster for them."Β 

Β 

Source: Horizon Flame from ATRLΒ :gaycat4:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2022-11-08/disney-earnings-fourth-quarter-streaming-loses-1-5-billion-hulu-espn-chapek
Β 

They’re cancelling and deleting new shows and movies, and laying off people to make up for all the lost revenue. Not sure where you’ve been. This is also why they’re consolidating their other streaming services.Β 

Β 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, Sexyzinger said:

It's not breaking even.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

23 hours ago, V$. said:

It's a Fail!Β :gaycat4:

Β 

21 hours ago, Eternal220 said:

A flop!

y'all some real weirdos hating on a kids movie

1 hour ago, Horizon Flame said:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2022-11-08/disney-earnings-fourth-quarter-streaming-loses-1-5-billion-hulu-espn-chapek
Β 

They’re cancelling and deleting new shows and movies, and laying off people to make up for all the lost revenue. Not sure where you’ve been. This is also why they’re consolidating their other streaming services.Β 

Β 

OMG! It's the end of the world!!!Β 

Β 

Β 

31 minutes ago, Mr.Marvelous said:

Β 

Β 

y'all some real weirdos hating on a kids movie

Nope. I'm good!Β :giraffe:

TLM has the best hold of all movies on this past Juneteenth Monday. $2.7M, just -6% from Sunday and -14% from last Monday. $256M domestic running total.Β 

I feel bad this movie isn’t doing better numbers. Let’s hope Snow White does betterΒ :chick1:Β 

Spoiler

Let me hope TLM can break even and SW does better so it doesn’t affect the release of Maleficent 3Β :bird:

Β 

There were a few wonky moments in the film (like Eric's solo...), but overall, this was pretty enjoyable for me, especially considering some of the absolute tragedies Disney has produced with some of these live action remakes.

Β 

Halle's acting wasn't exactly a showstopper, but it was more than good enough β€” her voice, on the other hand, was indescribably good. I literally had chills during "Part of Your World" and in fact prefer some of her song's versions compared to the original ones.

• Like 1

TLM has a hold on #1 in Japan for its 2nd Wednesday. 3rd weekend at #1 could be in the cards.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, BNF91 said:

TLM has a hold on #1 in Japan for its 2nd Wednesday. 3rd weekend at #1 could be in the cards.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

It seems to me that Mario will not touch $100M in Japan. China really dumped Mario down though.

Β 

--

Β 

For you who are unaware of how movies breakeven, for TLM's case in particular:

Β 

320M Domestic gross -> 176M profit (55% of the overall score)

280M International gross -> 112M profit (40% of the overall score)

4M China gross -> 1M profit (25% of the overall score)

Β 

So with a $604M total gross TLM will turn a 289M profit.

Β 

The costs for the movie are:

140M Marketing

250M BudgetΒ 

Β 

390M total. You do the math.

Β 

BUT:Β 

~120-180M additional profit comes from DVD/VHS sales, TV and streaming. [ this number includes the expenses of video costs $50M and interest (250M-70M=180M) ]

Black-Panther-Wakanda-Forever-Profit.png

Edited by Aristotle
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

$2.2M on Tuesday

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.