The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

24 minutes ago, chosensparkles said:

In #Japan’s #BoxOffice, #TheLittleMermaid finally debuts leading with solid 1.3M FRI Opening Day. WOM just ok,on par with #TheLionKing, #Maleficent, #Cinderella receiving a 3.8 from audiences, but under #Aladdin’s 4.1  #BeautyAndTheBeast’s 4 Eyeing a 4M-5.5M 3-day opening.

In Japan, Dumbo did $9M and Cruella, $5M. If TLM does $20M total in Japan that would be quite decent in comparison with other Asian markets. 

Dumbo did ~239M internationally. Now Japan will increase hopes for 280M-290M international score for TLM.

TLM in UK is 4 million ahead of Dumbo, heading for 8M-10M difference in the end. ($42M-$45M vs $35M for Dumbo).

Oh boy, where to start.

Opening Day Total allocated seats Tickets sold Reservation rate
Maleficent (SAT) 364,057 106,494 29.3%
Cinderella (SAT) 379,705 94,853 24.9%
The Jungle Book (FRI) 309,967 78,996 25.5%
Beauty and the Beast (FRI) 674,451 146,842 21.8%
Aladdin (FRI) 750,213 137,025 18.3%
The Lion King (FRI) 517,619 145,895 28.2%
The Little Mermaid (FRI, as of 22:00) 458,754 58,573 12.7%

It's clear that there is a very low interest in the movie. It will drop even faster than the predecessors.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

9 minutes ago, livelikemusic said:

This scene was so powerful in the theater....the little girls around me were so amazed 

Edited by RihRihGirrrl

Saturday presales already double that of Friday in Japan.. Japanese tracker considers that pretty good, says she expects 700M Japanese yen and bigger than Avatar 2 debut ($5M debut).

Of course it is not on the level of Aladdin/BATB/Lion King, but it is very clearly nowhere near a bomb and the 2nd or 3rd biggest western debut of the year if I'm not mistaken. 

TLM is also smashing in Philippines and by today, should already be the #1 film of the year there as the 3rd weekend begins. 

Domestic Thursday numbers aren't final yet but apparently TLM had just a 6% dip. Can still hit $23M for the weekend. 

Edited by BNF91

2 hours ago, BNF91 said:

Japan looks like it's not going to bomb. Opening day of $1.15M. 3-day opening looks to be $4.5M-5.5M. Not reaching the heights of Aladdin but as this market is the leggiest in the world, we could see a decent enough gross. Will gross more than China and South Korea combined by a lot.  

The Jungle Book did $23M total with $5.6M opening weekend. This one is looking $15M-20M.

The main problem I had with this is that they gave everything away with the trailers. It reminded me of the rollout of the music video for Hold It Against Me. It was that bad. Made me feel like I already watched the movie. Plus there were so many leaks on youtube and tiktok that were never taken down and spoiled the main scenes. All they needed to do was to release a trailer for the Under The Sea portion and that's it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, livelikemusic said:

finally :jonny5:

been waiting for this to get posted, I love hearing all the foley along with the song

#TheLittleMermaid finished 2nd full week at US #BoxOffice grossing solid 4.1M on 2nd THU, Strong legs despite #RiseOfTheBeasts  & #Spiderverse  performances, a -41.6% drop from last THU (vs #GOTGVol3 3.7M, -48.3%, #Aladdin 4.7M, -26%) for a 206M US cume. Eyeing a 310M-350M US run

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chosensparkles said:

#TheLittleMermaid finished 2nd full week at US #BoxOffice grossing solid 4.1M on 2nd THU, Strong legs despite #RiseOfTheBeasts  & #Spiderverse  performances, a -41.6% drop from last THU (vs #GOTGVol3 3.7M, -48.3%, #Aladdin 4.7M, -26%) for a 206M US cume. Eyeing a 310M-350M US run

:jonny6:

the box office numbers for this are honestly only bad because the budget is so inflated. If Disney was remotely fiscally responsible, they wouldn't have basically set this movie up to lose money. The total this will reach (500 something global) should have been enough to break even and even turn a bit of profit during theatrical release but nope

the fact that the even more expensive Indiana Jones is up next :rip:  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chosensparkles said:

Very nice hold, even better than earlier, -5% and still right on track. It closed the gap a bit since Tuesday between it and Aladdin (7.7M/6.1M on Tues Vs 4.7M/4.1M on Thurs). Hopefully $22-23M this weekend. 

Edited by BNF91

TLM still #1 in Brazil on 3rd Friday despite Spiderverse and Transformers debuts :clap3:

If we can see nice holds in OS markets, plus Japan debut of $5M or so, then hopefully OS total will be $190M+ by Sunday.  

Edited by BNF91
  • Like 1

In #Japan’s #BoxOffice, #TheLittleMermaid kept #1 grossing 1.9M on SAT, going up +46.2% from FRI Opening Day for a 3.2M 2-day cume. Eyeing a 4.5M-5.2M 3-day opening.

• Like 2

Watched the og version again and I definitely prefer the live action version! Halle really nailed it and I'm so glad this movie happened regardless of what it's doing commercially. 

9 hours ago, BNF91 said:

TLM still #1 in Brazil on 3rd Friday despite Spiderverse and Transformers debuts :clap3:

If we can see nice holds in OS markets, plus Japan debut of $5M or so, then hopefully OS total will be $190M+ by Sunday.  

1 hour ago, chosensparkles said:

In #Japan’s #BoxOffice, #TheLittleMermaid kept #1 grossing 1.9M on SAT, going up +46.2% from FRI Opening Day for a 3.2M 2-day cume. Eyeing a 4.5M-5.2M 3-day opening.

:msmarvel:

• Like 1

I saw it and it was good overall for a re-make. I don't quite think that Halle has the vulnerability in her voice that the original has, but I thought she was amazing in the non-speaking parts on land. Poor Flounder was completely cut out though :rip: Sebastian was probably a highlight of the movie. It also didn't feel too long to me at all.

$6.8M 3rd Friday domestic, a great jump and locking at least $23M for the weekend. Could even still beat Aladdin's 3rd weekend and go as high as $26M. 

Does anyone know if this did well in Poland? The Polish Ariel is also black, and she's loved there

Edited by Kamil24

33 minutes ago, Kamil24 said:

Does anyone know if this did well in Poland? The Polish Ariel is also black, and she's loved there

It's doing well there, just a 6% drop in its 2nd weekend. Running just behind Aladdin.

• Thanks 1

It's dong  ok in Poland. In two first  weeks ~ 235k ppl have watched it. 

https://www.sfp.org.pl/box_office?b=601

But apparently, they don't really like what they see. Average score on the most popular movie website is just  4.6/10.

https://www.filmweb.pl/film/Mała+syrenka-2023-836056

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.