FBI: China Bracing for Sanctions

AlanRickman1946

War With China  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Will corporations allow the government to launch a proxy war against China?

• No. It would disrupt their business
    • Yes. China companies are a threat to US ones

FBI director suggests China bracing for sanctions if it invades Taiwan

FBI Director Christopher Wray warned Wednesday that the threat posed by the Chinese government to Western companies is "getting worse" and suggested China may be taking steps to insulate itself from economic repercussions if it invades Taiwan.

As you all know, there’s been a lot of discussion about the potential that China may try to forcibly take over Taiwan,” Wray said. “Were that to happen, it would represent one of the most horrific business disruptions the world has ever seen.”

The FBI director noted that when Russia was hit with tough sanctions following the Ukraine invasion, “there were a lot of Western companies that had their fingers still in their door when it slammed shut.”

Similar type of sanctions against China, he warned, could do harm to the world economy “at a much larger scale.”

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/07/06/fbi-director-suggests-china-bracing-for-sanctions-if-it-invades-taiwan/

Edited by AlanRickman1946

He's not wrong. The western world is much more reliant on China than Russia so this would be a big deal. It doesn't help that some of the biggest chip manufacturers are in Taiwan.

My question is, why the **** do we rely on companies in places like Ukraine and Taiwan when we have always known the instability those regions bring? The world getting most of its grain from Ukraine makes no sense. The world getting most of its chips from Taiwan makes no sense. Diversify portfolios, people.

I also don't get China. Taiwan being its own thing does not affect you. It's all ego.

1 minute ago, Bang Up said:

He's not wrong. The western world is much more reliant on China than Russia so this would be a big deal. It doesn't help that some of the biggest chip manufacturers are in Taiwan.

My question is, why the **** do we rely on companies in places like Ukraine and Taiwan when we have always known the instability those regions bring? The world getting most of its grain from Ukraine makes no sense. The world getting most of its chips from Taiwan makes no sense. Diversify portfolios, people.

I also don't get China. Taiwan being its own thing does not affect you. It's all ego.

Profit. Fewer regulations.

Yea I honestly don’t see corporations actually going through with it tbh. It was somewhat easy for the US to play the part in standing on a moral higher ground by sanctioning Russia, but sanctioning China would really push the envelope and threaten their own oligarchs. It would be a nice opportunity  to bring back manufacturing jobs to the US, ultimately rebuilding up a stronger working class and focusing on the nation from within as opposed to the meddling and dependence on foreign resources and labor, but that’s just an out of reach fantasy. Who knows tho, I don’t completely doubt that they would actually launch a proxy war and sanction China. I just know the inflation now will be nothing at all compared to what it could be if that ends up being the case. Americans of all people (where we’re currently reverting into a backward theocracy) will just suffer deeply. It’s messy from every angle. 

If China invaded Taiwan, it would be a disaster for the world economy. The disruption to supply chains would be massive and it would make inflation now look like nothing. China have literally nothing to gain from this except riling up nationalism. There’s enough problems in both China and the West as it is. As for Taiwan that is an independent democracy not a pawn for China and US to use in their proxy war.

32 minutes ago, BGKC said:

Yea I honestly don’t see corporations actually going through with it tbh. It was somewhat easy for the US to play the part in standing on a moral higher ground by sanctioning Russia, but sanctioning China would really push the envelope and threaten their own oligarchs. It would be a nice opportunity  to bring back manufacturing jobs to the US, ultimately rebuilding up a stronger working class and focusing on the nation from within as opposed to the meddling and dependence on foreign resources and labor, but that’s just an out of reach fantasy. Who knows tho, I don’t completely doubt that they would actually launch a proxy war and sanction China. I just know the inflation now will be nothing at all compared to what it could be if that ends up being the case. Americans of all people (where we’re currently reverting into a backward theocracy) will just suffer deeply. It’s messy from every angle. 

Yea i agree

This would be the end of the world order as we know it 

1 hour ago, Bang Up said:

Same thing why Russia wanted to invade Ukraine, delusional dictators pursuing a lost dream 

Xi Jinping is delusional enough to go through with it. China has been bringing more and more industries under state control, deciding who gets which resources. 

We kinda rely on China for everything though...

like Russia was useless but sanctioning China will do more harm than good

"IF it invades Taiwan"... :eli:

6 hours ago, Delirious said:

We kinda rely on China for everything though...

like Russia was useless but sanctioning China will do more harm than good

Russia is more important than China to the world economy.

China has a lot of volume but their economy basically rely on Western companies manufacturing over there for cheaper labor and exporting back to the West.

They are very much replaceable. TO THE LEFT!

We can find plenty of partners to do that: Eastern Europe, Mexico, North Africa, ASEAN, India.... to name a few.

China is also the #1 importer of Food & Energy. YIKES!

Russian style sanction would literally create an immediate famine & deindustrialization if they can't buy gas/oil from anybody

Russia on the other hand the #1 exportation or Energy & Wheat.

You can't replace food and energy by just moving your factory to another country.

Also, prices of Gas affects prices of EVERYTHING as every products has to be transported,

Maybe destroying the lives of millions of people across Europe and North America isn’t worth it? I would feel terrible for Taiwan but I don’t see why we need to suffer as well.

“If the US and the West impose destructive sanctions on China like sanctions against Russia, we must recover Taiwan,” said Chen Wenling, chief economist at the China Center for International Economic Exchanges. The research group is overseen by the National Development and Reform Commission, China’s top economic planning agency.

“Especially in the reconstruction of the industrial chain and supply chain, we must seize TSMC,” Chen said in a speech last month hosted by the Chongyang Institute for Financial Studies at Renmin University.

“They are speeding up the transfer to the US to build six factories there,” she added. “We must not let all the goals of the transfer be achieved.”

The comments are some of the most prominent so far showing how Taiwan’s chip industry is seen in Beijing as a key strategic asset in the intensifying rivalry between the world’s two largest economies. TSMC is the world’s largest contract manufacturer of semiconductors, accounting for more than 50% of the global foundry market, which involves businesses purely making chips for other companies. Its customers include Apple Inc., which relies on Taiwanese chips for iPhones.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has sought to achieve tech self-sufficiency, and tapped economic czar Liu He to shepherd a key initiative aimed at helping domestic chipmakers overcome U.S. sanctions. Those sanctions, which emerged during Donald Trump’s presidency, are impeding longer-term efforts by chipmakers including Huawei Technologies Co.’s HiSilicon and Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp. from migrating toward more advanced wafer fabrication technologies.

Source

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.