Duffer Bros to do manga Death Note & Stephen King "Talisman" series for Netflix

Hector

While their first order of business will be settling the epic good vs evil battle between Eleven and Vecna in Stranger Things‘ final season, the Duffers and Netflix have expanded their slate of projects for the future. They now include:

• A new live action series adaptation of Death Note, the Japanese manga and anime series originally written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata. The original focuses on a bright teenager who discovers a mysterious black notebook that gives him supernatural power over life and death, the latter caused by writing a person’s name in the book. The teen becomes intoxicated with power as he decides to cleanse the world of undesirables, as a law enforcement team tries to stop him. Netflix made a film adaptation in 2017, but this will be an entirely new take.
  • An original series from creators Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance).
  • A series adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub‘s 1984 novel The Talisman which the Duffers will craft alongside Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment and Paramount Television. Created by Stranger Things’ Co-EP and writer Curtis Gwinn, The Talisman tells the story of a young man who moves between New Hampshire and an alternate world called ‘The Territories’ to obtain an artifact that will save his mother’s life. While The Talisman shares otherworldly qualities with Stranger Things, “It’s much more fantasy. It has sci-fi. It has horror elements. It has a lot of heart. It has everything that we love. And it’s got the best werewolf character I think, ever,” Matt Duffer told Deadline in yesterday’s in-depth interview.
  • A new stage play set within the world and mythology of Stranger Things, produced by prolific UK-based stage producer Sonia Friedman, Stephen Daldry and Netflix. Daldry, whose credits include The Crown, Billy Elliot and The Reader, will also direct. 21 Laps will serve as Associate Producer.
  • The aforementioned live-action Stranger Things spin-off series for Netflix, based on an original idea by The Duffer Brothers, with Upside Down and 21 Laps producing.

They're on fire :campfire:

Edited by Hector

The death note news sounds like something I should be excited for, but since hollywood is at 0/10 in regards to anime adaptions I can't see it turning out the way fans want.

2 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

The death note news sounds like something I should be excited for, but since hollywood is at 0/10 in regards to anime adaptions I can't see it turning out the way fans want.

Yeah it will need to balance both fan expectations and be new audience friendly. Anime is a weird medium and it will never satisfy their wishes fully.

That said, in a post Squid Game world I think Netflix will be more open to be faithful and not totally whitewash the source material.

3 minutes ago, TheCheshireCat said:

Yeah it will need to balance both fan expectations and be new audience friendly. Anime is a weird medium and it will never satisfy their wishes fully.

That said, in a post Squid Game world I think Netflix will be more open to be faithful and not totally whitewash the source material.

I mean, Death Note seems like one of the easier adaptions that could happen and be faithful. The shinigami portion probably being the biggest challenge, but not impossible. The movie by Netflix was an abomination. Have we seen any anime adaption that wasn't a giant turd, ever? :deadbanana2: Even the new avatar that people were hyped about tanked in press after the production drama.

Death note is inner monologue heavy, I can't see it working out unless they stay true to it.

The budget for Death Note adaptation will be HUGE :omg:

Netflix manga live-action adaptions can be done right. Alice in Borderland, for example, is great. They just need to ban white people from going anywhere near them.

Asian content has been on the rise (especially after Squid Game’s humongous success) for a reason. When will they get the memo? I’ll probably watch but I’m expecting yet another whitewashed mess.

just realized i never finished reading The Talisman. it's been 15 years :rip:

Death Note :jonny5:

It will be a disaster...AGAIN. Death Note should be one of the easiest anime/manga to adapt for Hollywood but they screwed its up once and will screw it up again.

I hope they will do Death Note justice because that Netflix adaptation was atrocious :rip:

There are already so many Japanese Death Note live actions just watch those.

The stage play has my attention peaked :lakitu: hopefully it will come to the states, and won’t be 1000s of $ for a ticket :toofunny3:

Enough with the deathnote remakes

they should do something fun like Haru Suzumiya. something different :biblio:

Leave Death Note alone. Live action Anime/Manga adaptations never work (except for Detective Pikachu) & the original has withstood the test of time just fine. :doc:

The idea of a Death Note world created by the Duffer brothers sounds amazing but if they don’t wanna **** it up then they need to work closely with Japanese talent and production.

Hope they do Death Note justice :clap3: and take some time to study the source material and get why it is popular 

6 hours ago, mxoonlight said:

Hope they do Death Note justice :clap3: and take some time to study the source material and get why it is popular 

My hope is that it'll focus stronger on the cat and mouse detective mind-games aspect of the manga (with the complimentary supernatural elements) instead of just 'hurrdurr evil book kills people :juanny: ' that I fear it might become. 

Love the Duffer bros but Hollywood needs to leave Death Note alone.

Why are we acting like these guys are the Steven Spielberg reencarnation? They created one popular tv show which isn’t even that original to begin with…

And new Death Note is a no. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.