Will Stranger Things Dethrone Squid Games?

Gorjesspazze9

Stranger Things & Squid Games are both worldwide Phenomenon. Stranger Things is Netflix’s Flagship show & Squid Games is the Most View Show on the Platform. With another Smash hit, Has Netflix secured its reign as the biggest Streaming platform for another year?!

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

hopefully it will

6 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

With another Smash hit, Has Netflix secured its reign as the biggest Streaming platform for another year?!

Stranger Things is carrying the whole of Netflix. They are safe now but once the season 5 is out they better look for new producers to make more hit shows otherwise they are done

although it's possible a random show might blow up out of the blue like Squid Games did

Stranger Things is way bigger than Squid Games what you mean???

6 minutes ago, Flomik said:

hopefully it will

Stranger Things is carrying the whole of Netflix. They are safe now but once the season 5 is out they better look for new producers to make more hit shows otherwise they are done

although it's possible a random show might blow up out of the blue like Squid Games did

So true. Even I was about to cancel Netflix, only have it for Stranger things. There are so many other streaming services now that the competition is starting to dent Netflix finally 

Just now, dussymob said:

Stranger Things is way bigger than Squid Games what you mean???

It’s bigger.  but squid games still has the record of most views becuase it was a pop culture event last year 

Aren't ST episodes more than twice as long? Even if it does, it's not nearly as impressive.

Stranger Things feels nowhere near the event that Squid Games was

Its even more astonishingly impressive that Squid Game did it without being in English

8 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Stranger Things feels nowhere near the event that Squid Games was

Its even more astonishingly impressive that Squid Game did it without being in English

now that's a straight up lie 

Everyone, literally everyone has been talking about Stranger Things. In all forms of media, Squid Games was huge and was bigger but its extremely close. 

SG cultural impact >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> this kid show

1 minute ago, WERKER said:

now that's a straight up lie 

Everyone, literally everyone has been talking about Stranger Things. In all forms of media, Squid Games was huge and was bigger but its extremely close. 

Never followed either shows, but I could not escape Squid Game on social media.

I haven’t seen a much about Stranger Things on social media, whereas Squid Game was absolutely everywhere. Even people in real life were discussing it.

Didnt the girl from Squid Game gain 20M followers in a matter of weeks too? That’s never happened before

1 minute ago, Saintlor said:

Never followed either shows, but I could not escape Squid Game on social media.

I haven’t seen a much about Stranger Things on social media, whereas Squid Game was absolutely everywhere. Even people in real life were discussing it.

Didnt the girl from Squid Game gain 20M followers in a matter of weeks too? That’s never happened before

Kate Bush is just one of the reasons and don’t lie and said you haven’t seen anything about that damn song.

vol1 and vol2 shouldn't be counted together :rip: but nice for some headlines i guess

1 minute ago, Narima said:

vol1 and vol2 shouldn't be counted together :rip: but nice for some headlines i guess

It’s the same season, of course it should be counted together.

It has the same number of episodes than any of its other seasons.

Squid Games was a global phenomena not often seen nowadays - and global meaning really the whole world including Asia - not the "global" Europe and Anglophonic countries kind that ATRL users seem to think is global.  SQ generating all that discussion around the world - and being the most watched Netflix show ever - while it's language is Korean (only spoken by ~55M people) is surely one of the biggest feats achieved by any long-form series and it deserves to keep the crown. 

2 minutes ago, Trent W said:

it's released at different times so it doesn't make sense to me. 

Squid Game's  number was actually the first 4 weeks of the show unlike ST 

Idk but it should because it’s far better in every aspect. Squid Games, while fun, is highly overrated and your average run of the mill kdrama. It’s not exactly the highest of quality and the performances were not a strong as the gp and critics proclaim them to be.

This proves netflix is NOT dying, they have 2 massive IPs.

11 minutes ago, dussymob said:

Kate Bush is just one of the reasons and don’t lie and said you haven’t seen anything about that damn song.

yea, that's nothing compared to SG, which was a cultural phenomenal that grabbed the whole world, from the memes to news outlets and celebs posting and discussing about it for weeks. the main casts blew up overnight especially HoYeon Jung, whose social media count exploded. It was the moment of Q4 2021 to the point that even Mr. Beast recreated the game racking up 266M+ views 

Taylucifer

hopefully 

Squirt Games was so ******* overrated and overhyped 

It will, of course. Volume 2 is going to push it past Squid Game which never had a chance to beat it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, evaluating streaming numbers have nothing to do with views. It’s all about subscribers. SG was able to become the biggest Netflix show of all time and amass historic numbers because shows like Stranger Things came before it to boost Netflix’s audience. And now ST will surpass it given the increase in subscribers due to SG and organic growth since the pandemic. It’s not rocket science.

Back on topic, I do think Squid Games was bigger, every person I know watched it and talked about it, it was an EVENT

Hell even people who don’t have the patience for series watched it.

In terms of quality I think ST is a bit better and in terms of success is definitely more concentrated with youth and the anglosphere.

Squid Games was more spread on different demographics 

SG is miles ahead, even here in Arab world everyone everywhere in RL talking about it. Can't say the same about ST. The Korean show was global cultural event.

Isn't this kind of a cheat? By the time the 28-days window closes on Volume 2, Volume 1 will have had two months of availability already :dies:

Squid Game was too big and global a phenomenon, but with the growth of Netflix subscribers in the next few years and the final season hype, maybe ST5 will actually break the record

Edited by Godly

1 hour ago, Trent W said:

the difference tho is that they are only counting the first month of each show. stranger things basically having two first months obviously puts it at an advantage 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.