Is stating that somebody is fat considered fatphobia?

Ferret

Yes. The correct terms are thick, chubby, husky, abundance, etc. 

Thinking Of You

No. People just don’t like the truth about themselves. 

Depends on the context and the choice of words. If you state that someone’s old it doesn’t make you ageist but it certainly makes you rude and tone deaf if said in certain circumstances. 

i think it all depends on how you say it

some people do say that someones wanting to attack someone 

but sometimes trying to tiptoe around it and using words like "fluffy" or sht like that is even worse :skull: 

Taylucifer

no, if you’re fat then you’re fat :celestial:

just point out someone else is skinny, they’ll get the memo. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Link said:

Depends on the context and the choice of words. If you state that someone’s old it doesn’t make you ageist but it certainly makes you rude and tone deaf if said in certain circumstances. 

Well I get this and i know tone is very important but I was told today I was being fatphobic simply because I said somebody is fat and wouldn’t date him. 

edit: I love me chubbys guys but this guy was too fat :skull: 

Edited by Ferret

No, but as many have said before it can be considered a bit rude. Most overweight people are aware of that fact of themselves and whatever their situation is on working it, it's not always the most constructive thing to point out to someone, especially if they're struggling with it.

On the flipside of that though, while I understand we are living in times where we are promoting body positivity, it's important not to coddle and have room for understanding if you are overweight there are health concerns that come along with that. But having awareness around that in the right places is different to simply pointing out that someone is fat.

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Well I get this and i know tone is very important but I was told today I was being fatphobic simply because I said somebody is fat and wouldn’t date him. 

i mean, the term fatphobic is so extra :deadbanana2:

I guess its judgemental if anything, but being judgemental, especially when looking for a partner, isn't as bad as it sounds. :snorkle:

No...? 

Fatphobia would be to mistreat someone because they are fat.

Simply stating someone is fat is not fatphobia. Obviously if you say it to a person's face is rude af though :deadbanana4:

No, but this place sure will give you a warning for it. 

No, but context and intent matters. I think if you’re just stating something, maybe describing someone, it’s fine. It’s just a fact. 

If you’re just randomly telling someone they’re fat because you think they don’t know “the truth about themselves” or because you think it’ll help them lose weight then it’s obviously rude.

I feel like if someone’s going on rants about fat people and then blaming woke culture because they can’t say the word fat… they’re purposefully being difficult.  It’s everything around the word that matters more. I feel like wokémons love the word, so it’s never the issue. 

• ATRL Moderator

Yes, kind of. I feel like you don't need to say the word "fat" unless you're using it as a kind of insult. My mother always told me it was rude and you should say, "That person has a bad thyroid" or "that person speaks whale" but not to say the word fat.

I really don’t think anyone has any business commenting on other peoples bodies I think it’s rude and offensive to call somebody fat. Regardless if it’s a fact or not we should be kind and respect everyone’s experience in life.

JohnWayneHolland

Not necessarily, but it really depends on the words and the tone that you use, that's why I rather not comment on other people's bodies unless they ask me to, you never know what they're going through and what their relationship with their body is like.

yes, according to ATRL mod, it’s insensitive, somehow. I got warned for saying Lizzo is f*t, like wow.

5 minutes ago, liam13 said:

yes, according to ATRL mod, it’s insensitive, somehow. I got warned for saying Lizzo is f*t, like wow.

And she’s proud to be fat so in this situation I wouldn’t even consider it an insult :skull: 

31 minutes ago, Ferret said:

And she’s proud to be fat so in this situation I wouldn’t even consider it an insult :skull: 

right? it’s ridiculous but wbk how this site works

Depends I get called fat my family and if it was by anyone else I'd feel really insecure. But only because they used to me dealing with anorexia my whole life and for strangers im probably just average weight.

But going up to someone you barely know and say your fat. Is Definitely fatphobia 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.