Why “Oops” never hit No.1 on BBH100?

tonyle1911

I’m from non-English speaking country, so I didn’t know anything about these kind of charts till 2007. What made me surprised the most was that Oops I did it again- a undeniably huge smash on a global scale, it was played everywhere in my country, especially when you visited the electronics stores, they played the MV on the TVs all the time. Oops the Album also sold 1.3 millions first weeks in US only, so why the song never hit No.1 on BBH100 or at least No.5 despite its popularity and impact? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trash

• tonyle1911

• Power love

• GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Top Posters In This Topic

Limited physical single copies.

Not sure how much the radio wighted on the charts back then, and idk how well it did on the platform.

8 minutes ago, Triton said:

rAdIO BaNNN!!! 

The problem with Clearchannel happened the following era, when she became Pepsi's spokeswoman. :celestial5:

1 minute ago, Trash said:

The problem with Clearchannel happened the following era

Why do i keep hearing it was made up or not as serious as they make it out to be? 

No CD single was released in the US, hence it charted based solely on radio airplay (it peaked at #1 on Billboard's pop airplay chart). Jive Records only released a 12-inch vinyl after the album release. 

It had no single release. If it even sold 50k the week it was top 10 in airplay, it would've been an automatic #1 because single sales were in the pits. 

It was #1 worldwide though. And i remember she got a radio ban inthe U.S for choosing another touring sponsor? 

It was a monster hit regardless. #1 on MV charts , ww radios and ww charts. Britney's U.S chart does not reflect her ww success at all. 

Just now, Power love said:

Why do i keep hearing it was made up or not as serious as they make it out to be? 

It wasn't a ban per say, it was blacklisting.

I'll just quote someone from breathe heavy but i have no further knowledge or access to documents.

The singles from the 'Britney' album weren't banned, they were blacklisted from getting normal rotation.  This meant that no matter how much the song was requested or how popular it was, Clear Channel radio gave orders to radio stations to not give her songs regular airplay. Clear channel did this to punish major artists who did not sign contracts with their touring agency.

In 2003, the US Senate held a hearing to investigate Clear Channel and that is when the public/ fans had proof of what we suspected for years. Britney was named as one of the punished artists.

1 minute ago, Trash said:

proof of what we suspected for years. Britney was named as one of the punished artists.

Where is the proof? 

4 minutes ago, Power love said:

Where is the proof? 

6 minutes ago, Trash said:

I'll just quote someone from breathe heavy but i have no further knowledge or access to documents.

?

I'm sure you can look it up if you're interested tho, there's a Los Angeles Times article from around the time speaking on it online.

Edited by Trash

6 minutes ago, tonyle1911 said:

I’m from non-English speaking country, so I didn’t know anything about these kind of charts till 2007. What made me surprised the most was that Oops I did it again- a undeniably huge smash on a global scale, it was played everywhere in my country, especially when you visited the electronics stores, they played the MV on the TVs all the time. Oops the Album also sold 1.3 millions first weeks in US only, so why the song never hit No.1 on BBH100 or at least No.5 despite its popularity and impact? 

The song didn’t have a proper physical/retail (CD, Cassette, Maxi-Single) release in the United States.

The week ”O,IDIA” at #9 on the Hot 100, it had been on the charts for 7 weeks at the hands of just airplay, mostly from Pop radio. It climbed #12 - #9 in its 8th week on the chart following a 12-inch vinyl release, selling 7K units.

12-inch vinyl configurations were very popular in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, albeit the amounts sold were very small due to their limited distribution. This release method was moreso used as a commercial tactic by record labels to have songs have relatively higher peaks on the Hot 100 without succumbing to a full physical release in hopes drawing attention to the album instead.

As a matter of fact, several of the “airplay-only” #1’s in 2000/2001 had 12-inch vinyl releases; Lady Marmalade and Independent Women, for example. The only one that didn’t was Aaliyah‘s “Try Again” which actually had 0 sales when it topped the charts. 

I believe it wasn't released as a single. Worldwide however, it was a smash.

4 minutes ago, Britney Is Fierce said:

No CD single was released in the US, hence it charted based solely on radio airplay (it peaked at #1 on Billboard's pop airplay chart). Jive Records only released a 12-inch vinyl after the album release. 

And the Pop format was her only ally. She still did amazing.

31 minutes ago, Triton said:

rAdIO BaNNN!!! 

Provide a valuable argument instead, Triton. This is very immature :emofish:

something something Britney top 20 year end hit since 1999

20 minutes ago, Power love said:

Where is the proof? 

Last month, Rep. Howard L. Berman (D-Mission Hills) urged the Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission to probe reports that Clear Channel punished stars, such as Britney Spears, by refusing to play their songs on Clear Channel radio stations because the musicians declined to hire the company as their tour promoter.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-feb-25-fi-clear25-story.html#:~:text=Howard L.,company as their tour promoter.

Here's the proof you all always ask for, I always post and whenever this subject is discussed, y'all go back to the narrative that we are all making it up.

I hope it is enough for you, since it's coming from a publication like LA Times.

33 minutes ago, Power love said:

Spears was never “banned” from U.S radio, but she was blacklisted (both of these titles aren’t mutually exclusive) from her songs being played in regular rotation from the biggest mainstream radio stations across the country at the time as these were owned by Clear Channel ie. Z100 (NYC), KIIS FM (L.A), B96 (Chicago), Power 96.1 (Atlanta) etc. 

This was put into effect starting with the “Britney” era and following the release of “I’m A Slave 4 U”. 

At the time, the Billboard Hot 100 became highly dependent on radio airplay for singles peaks & movement as physical sales were dying due to loss of popularity, albeit this mostly stemmed from the fact that a lot of record labels weren’t issuing competitive retail configurations (CD) for songs in the first place. 

“I’m A Slave 4 U” - Hot 100 Airplay Run:

#65 - #50 - #41 - #33 - #37 - #30 - #28 - #34…

It’s Hot 100 run was similar as the Hot 100 was now starting to heavily mirror the Airplay charts. 

The songs call-outs were just as polarising. Despite the initial positive reception from audiences, the song started to collapse soon after and wasn’t able to regain momentum. Other songs from the era ala. “Overprotected, I’m Not A Girl…, I Love Rock & Roll, Boys” all suffered a similar fate. 

The blacklisting was finally reversed by the time the “In The Zone” era began, and certain legal issues with CC were now amended, thus her songs were free to breathe on the Airplay charts and could receive proper playlisting.

“MATM” had an explosive start on Pop radio; ”Toxic” went #1 on Pop radio, “Everytime” peaked in the top ten and so on. 

Ultimately, I don’t think people realise the effect that the 2001-2003 blacklisting done to her radio reputation overall. 

:michael:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

5 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Spears was never “banned” from U.S radio, but she was blacklisted (both of these titles aren’t mutually exclusive)

the-little-rascals.gif

23 minutes ago, abrahamjmr said:

I hope it is enough for you

I was generally asking & have no idea why you’re being hostel towards me. I wasn’t being shady so no need to take past trauma out on me babe. 

Who cares about some singles chart in one country when it is attached not only to a diamond, 20M+ selling album, but engrained into the fabric of history and music history and pop culture itself? Not to mention how iconic the video and performance are.

the song is as known as “happy birthday” and will be continue to be sang for thousands of years. 

29 minutes ago, abrahamjmr said:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-feb-25-fi-clear25-story.html#:~:text=Howard L.,company as their tour promoter.

Here's the proof you all always ask for, I always post and whenever this subject is discussed, y'all go back to the narrative that we are all making it up.

I hope it is enough for you, since it's coming from a publication like LA Times.

Wow, I was always aware of the fact that Clear Channel was shady to Britney just because her team didn’t pick them to do the tour. But i didn’t know it even reached Senate investigation and other artists were also affected by their corrupt system!

Now karma bit them and radios are going to irrelevancy with streaming revolution hihi

13 minutes ago, Power love said:

I was generally asking & have no idea why you’re being hostel towards me. I wasn’t being shady so no need to take past trauma out on me babe. 

Not to insert myself in the middle of this. But to be honest we're always told by other bases that we're "Making this up" . When in reality it DID happen :michael: . So maybe that's why he/she/they said that :giraffe:

Because like most of her songs around that time, it placed at the bottom of the radio call-outs.

That's not a "radio ban" it's just disliked by the listeners.

It had to do with physical singles no longer being released in the US so people would be forced to buy the whole albums, which in this case, they did - to the tune of 1.3 million in the first week in the US alone. 

If physical/digital singles sales were a thing in 2000, the album would’ve sold less but the single would’ve sold like hotcakes and would’ve absolutely gone #1

Edited by Genie in a Bottle

They probably limit the singles so people are forced to buy the album. That's why the album sold like a million first week. Its just a strategy, her label prioritized albums sales since thats where the monies at

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.