Why does the movie Mysterious Skin not get as much praise as call me by your name?

Distantconstellation

Or even as much praise as love simon. Mysterious Skin is a much better movie than both those boring ones. Not too mention its much more real and dark. It sticks with you forever and is a movie you can never forget. The soundtrack is also fantastic, damn. How did joseph gordon levitt not get an Oscar for it?

Edited by Distantconstellation

I've never heard about it until now.

I'll have to check it out. 

I just need to know if one of the protagonists die at the end, if so, I won't. I can't stand those type of gay themed films. 

Someone answer with a yes or no, please. I was thinking to look up online but I don't wanna spoil the plot for myself.

Yeah I saw this once and it really struck me, quite a powerful film. Think it’s the first thing I saw Joseph in.

Because it’s depressing as ****, and it is not a love story, it is about repressed childhood sexual abuse :rip:

It has nothing in common with CMBYN or Love, Simon :deadbanana:

Edited by Headlock

6 minutes ago, RussianRoulette said:

I just need to know if one of the protagonists die at the end, if so, I won't. I can't stand those type of gay themed films. 

Someone answer with a yes or no, please. I was thinking to look up online but I don't wanna spoil the plot for myself.

No they don’t. It is very dark and disturbing and serious though, but it is an amazing movie. And as I said, it is not a love story or about a romance, like, at all. The protagonist is an underage hustler :rip:

Edited by Headlock

I'm not sure either, both movies involve pedophilia  :giraffe:

i love this movie but it is really dark, i tried to watch it with my boyfriend and he couldn’t get through it.

Dddd I remember watching this with my fake friends and they hated me for it :deadbanana2:

10 minutes ago, RussianRoulette said:

I can't remember if anyone dies, but it's a great movie. 

It's a great movie but obviously much darker and more controversial as it's about pedophilia. It's not really comparable to Brokeback Mountain or CMBYN and for that matter it's also very different from sad gay movies like Prayers for Bobby

It's about sexual abuse and pedophilia, it has an utterly harrowing rape scene. Plus I only watched it cos I was told it was good so it's not like it doesn't get praise, it's just not the sort of movie to get mass appeal. 

This movie is dark and depressing, hence why most gays left it in the past despite the movie being good.  We’re sick of queer stories where nothing good happens.

Edited by Archetype

Most gay people watch to gay movies to identify with the main character. The central theme of the movie isn't being gay as much as surviving sexual violence. I was molested so this movie was so helpful for me bc there's so little representation. Can't judge that some just want to see their story on screen

34 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

Most gay people watch to gay movies to identify with the main character. The central theme of the movie isn't being gay as much as surviving sexual violence. I was molested so this movie was so helpful for me bc there's so little representation. Can't judge that some just want to see their story on screen

What happens in Mysterious Skin is much more realistic than the fantasy in love simon and call me by your name. Yeah  Mysterious Skin is a dark movie but so what? This world is dark and if u wanna pretend and close your eyes well thats on you

never heard about it but it looks interesting

The movie and book were incredibly  depressing like I remember not wanting to be touched by another man after I finished the book for a bit :deadbanana4:

The soundtrack is amazing though 

3 hours ago, Distantconstellation said:

What happens in Mysterious Skin is much more realistic than the fantasy in love simon and call me by your name. Yeah  Mysterious Skin is a dark movie but so what? This world is dark and if u wanna pretend and close your eyes well thats on you

It's a brilliant film but most audiences, especially gay audiences, don't want to see what this film shows. It's not that they want to pretend the world is good and great, it's that most people don't seek out movies to be reminded what the world is like. Now, I believe it's important for film to be a reflection of the world and I think treating it as pure escapism is a disservice to the medium, but I also understand why most audiences prefer escapism to movies like this. 

As for gay audiences, I would not say this movie is really an LGBT film in the way that Call Me By Your Name, Love Simon, and Brokeback Mountain are. It features homosexuality, but it's not about being gay, it's about surviving sexual abuse. It makes perfect sense why the community looks to those other films over this one because those films are actually about being gay. 

Great film!

Like the film L.I.E. very dark content but a great film.

Edited by slik

Girl, I don’t want to witness that kind of trauma. 

It’s powerful and must watch viewing :giraffe:

JGL robbed of an Oscar nom, as we all know. But yeah, it doesn’t have the same appeal as Love Simon or Call Me, plus it’s sooooo much older. If it were released today, it would not be swept under the rug.

Queen Michelle Trachtenberg goes viral every few months on twitter for her iconic dance scene though:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.