Was Teenage Dream (album) a cultural reset?

naval23

We can't deny that "Teenage Dream" is one of the most iconic eras of the 2010s

Hit after hit after hit with no misses

Amazing imagery and visuals

No one will do escapist pop like her. 

Katy Perry Queen of Flop (@perry_flop) / Twitter

Was it a cultural reset? Why or why not?

Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream': How It Made Chart History – Billboard

It definitely left a mark on pop culture for the rest of the 2010s. Max Martin & Dr Luke had already been pop culture fixtures prior, but I feel like this album made them the PINNACLE of demand for popular artists. Katy really made escapist, in your face pop bops the blueprint for going all out and serving a perfect pop era afterwards. Make some singles that are perfect for summertime and bright weather, some mid tempo ballads singles for later on, release remixes as singles to keep the era alive so steam isn’t lost later on too, promote like crazy the entire time, treat every single MV like it has a first single’s budget, etc.

I think albums like 1989 & EMOTION later on in the decade would straight up not exist if TD had not come before them. Those two albums are basically TD with an 80s throwback flair. 

Yes, an amazing era and I got to experience the era, the singles and their videosz a cutural reset :WAP:

Yes. So many artists RAN to Max and Luke after Katy’s success and one of them ended up with an equally succesful album because of it

oh those were the days! recession pop was a moment. 

No, it was a bunch of low quality quick little singles

how could anyone doubt this

Yes. :heart2: One of the greatest albums of all time. I'm still livid that TOTGA didn't go #1.

This era defined so many generation and its recurring streams show that.,

No, it wasn't, because it had virtually no impact due to Katy having no impact. It didn't really inspire other people to follow her lead since her lead was so heavily manufactured. It's an amazing album and a couple of songs are pop staples, but that's where it begins and ends. If the album had been a cultural reset, she wouldn't be in the position she is today.

Yes! One of the most iconic pop eras of all time. Everything about it was great, the songs, outfits, visuals, music videos, features, all of it.

Teenage Dream and E.T. feat Kanye are still legendary:jonny5:

No. The songs are great, but they did not have any kind of cultural impact to change anything. No one imitated them and everything from that era was widely panned by critics and still is to this day. They also didn't transfer any kind of gravitas to help Katy sustain the fame and opportunity she once had.

I say this as someone the generally likes Katy and didn't jump on the bandwagon when everyone was calling her basic, but her critics were right.

Yes. The way every song on the radio sounded like a rehash of LFN for like 2 years after :deadbanana2:

Yes! Just think how pressed he got some souls here even after 10 years

Of course. It’s known as the most impactful album of the century for a reason. 

Of course. Historic era for a reason.

1 hour ago, MusicTalker said:

It definitely left a mark on pop culture for the rest of the 2010s. Max Martin & Dr Luke had already been pop culture fixtures prior, but I feel like this album made them the PINNACLE of demand for popular artists. Katy really made escapist, in your face pop bops the blueprint for going all out and serving a perfect pop era afterwards. Make some singles that are perfect for summertime and bright weather, some mid tempo ballads singles for later on, release remixes as singles to keep the era alive so steam isn’t lost later on too, promote like crazy the entire time, treat every single MV like it has a first single’s budget, etc.

I think albums like 1989 & EMOTION later on in the decade would straight up not exist if TD had not come before them. Those two albums are basically TD with an 80s throwback flair. 

This exceptionally good tea.

no but singles hittin #1 back to back was iconic

Yes. It started with less than 200k first week and ended with 6 #1s and 2 other top-10s. It even got a movie.

The era lasted over two years. It defined early-2010s pop. She tied MJ's record. If that's not a cultural reset, I don't know what is. :rip:

Edited by ATWK

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.