Tunisia to Remove Islam as State Religion

Sergi91

:eek:
Tunisia-map-boundaries-cities-locator.jp

Tunisia’s New Constitution to Remove Islam as State Religion

The draft constitution will be submitted to a referendum on July 25, the first anniversary of the coup in which the president assumed total authority.

“The next constitution of Tunisia won’t mention a state with Islam as its religion, but of belonging to an umma (community) which has Islam as its religion,” Saied told journalists at Tunis airport, emphasizing the separation between the state and Islam.

Prior to the new constitution, Islam has served as the “religion of state” in Tunisia, where the vast majority of the population are Muslims. The country, however, does not subscribe to Sharia law, but rather leans heavily on European civil codes.

Source

:clap3:

Hope it passes, even if the chances are slim

Hope they achieve it :clap3:

No country should have an "official" religion which shouldn't have any say in politics to begin with

Just to clarify for the ppl who may not udnerstand this: the people are still muslim and love their faith and culture etc...it's just there will be an official separation of state and religion which is EXCELLENT. This is the progression many muslim nations should follow (though there are already tons who do not have a state religion like Syria, Lebanon, Central Asia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Albania, Kosovo, Indonesia etc...). Glad to see North Africa being the leader in doing this in the Arab world at least! I'm pretty sure Tunisia and Morocco are some of the most open minded muslim majority nations. Hope to see more follow their lead and hopefully Morocco can do the same too soon :clap3: 

Also here is a map of all the nations with a state religion (For some it is more symbolic but still...seems so damn archaic. The fact that some European states still have that is kind of mind boggling. Time to move on and separate state and religion completely everywhere.): 

1280px-State_Religions.svg.png

Edited by IBeMe

i-would-like-to-see-it-smug.gif

The country is definitely much more "progressive" than other MENA countries but I feel like many people are misunderstanding this on social media nn. He is only removing the "Its (Tunisia's) religion is Islam" phrase from the constitution but it won’t change the country’s predominant Islam'd population/laws/beliefs. Its surely a great decision but I hope it happens first and definitely a step in the right direction. :michael: 

Saied still a rat that cannot be trusted :swan:

Edited by State of Grace.

4 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

i-would-like-to-see-it-smug.gif

The country is definitely much more "progressive" than other MENA countries but I feel like many people are misunderstanding this on social media nn. He is only removing the "Its (Tunisia's) religion is Islam" phrase from the constitution but it won’t change the country’s predominant Islam'd population/laws/beliefs. Its surely a great decision but I hope it happens first and definitely a step in the right direction. :michael: 

Saied still a rat that cannot be trusted :swan:

This :lmao: I'm seeing delusional christian missionaries excited and saying they will turn Tunisia into a Christian nation again etc...these ppl are pathetic. I swear its reasons like this that the Global South sees the West as increasingly annoying and condescending. Like even when they do their progress they get these pathetic ppl lurking about trying to exploit EVERYTHING and diss their culture in every way. It's nauseating. 

Tunisians love their religion, they are some of the most open minded and want reforms etc but it does not mean they want ppl to bash their nations predominant faith and get all hyped up like this. It makes it look gross. 

4 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

This :lmao: I'm seeing delusional christian missionaries excited and saying they will turn Tunisia into a Christian nation again etc...these ppl are pathetic. I swear its reasons like this that the Global South sees the West as increasingly annoying and condescending. Like even when they do their progress they get these pathetic ppl lurking about trying to exploit EVERYTHING and diss their culture in every way. It's nauseating. 

Tunisians love their religion, they are some of the most open minded and want reforms etc but it does not mean they want ppl to bash their nations predominant faith and get all hyped up like this. It makes it look gross. 

They need to stop :biblio:

2 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

They need to stop :biblio:

indeed. it's especially those crazy evangelicals and protestants and ish. all those weird branches of christianity have some of the craziest followers. 

7 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

Right fff :dies: 

12 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

indeed. it's especially those crazy evangelicals and protestants and ish. all those weird branches of christianity have some of the craziest followers. 

They are ruining Latin America and now want to do the same with Africa :biblio:

Disgusting how countries like Morocco, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan used to be multireligious countries but they became Islamic theocracies and genocided the other religious groups :biblio:

Slay :clap3:

55 minutes ago, Revolution said:

Disgusting how countries like Morocco, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan used to be multireligious countries but they became Islamic theocracies and genocided the other religious groups :biblio:

Don’t forget Turkey. The modern radicalization of Islam started there. There’s a reason why most terrorist groups, from ISIS to al-Qaeda, say they’re inspired by the Ottoman Empire.

1 hour ago, Revolution said:

Um Egypt is still very much a multireligious country

Muslim countries going forward while America goes backwards :clap3:

40 minutes ago, Severus Snape said:

I hope women's freedoms will be incremented 

21y0a3.jpg 

This one holds true for most religions though lol. See: the US right now and the Christians obsession with controlling women's bodies.

Abortion has been legal in Tunisia since 1973. 

Polygamy has been illegal since 1956.

Women are free to marry non-Muslims.

Current Prime Minister is the first female prime minister in MENA.

Just to name a few. The fight for women's rights and gender equality will always continue (equal inheritance law for instance) but I would say women in Tunisia have it way better than other countries in the region.

6 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

This one holds true for most religions though lol. See: the US right now and the Christians obsession with controlling women's bodies.

Abortion has been legal in Tunisia since 1973. 

Polygamy has been illegal since 1956.

Women are free to marry non-Muslims.

Current Prime Minister is the first female prime minister in MENA.

Just to name a few. The fight for women's rights and gender equality will always continue (equal inheritance law for instance) but I would say women in Tunisia have it way better than other countries in the region.

I didn’t know Tunisia was an open minded country :clap3:

but some people are actually dumb they didn’t they’re dropping Islam, since most of Tunisian are Muslim. They just don’t want to interfere religions to states. 

46 minutes ago, Seiko Oomori said:

Um Egypt is still very much a multireligious country

Copts are one of the most persecuted groups of people on earth. The way they’re treated in Egypt is just disgusting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.