BTS surpass Rihanna, Drake in equivalent album sales, surprised?

DesiredConsternation

Is BTS the music industry?

A joke, the music industry should have taken action much earlier instead of letting this riggery happen

Edited by Ratviolo

I'm not entirely sure who they is.

But will BTS achieve the Biggest Digital selling artist of all time achievement? :coffee2:

But did they surpass Drake and Rihanna in actual units and not according to Chartmasters' made up method no one recognizes as official?

Not surprised, BTS is the only one mentioned that can fill stadiums all over the world :coffee2:

At least 30% of their sales come from mass buying so it's not like their "size" translates into cultural impact anyway...

2 hours ago, Ratviolo said:

A joke, the music industry should have taken action much earlier instead of letting this riggery happen

Rihanna has actually faked album sales through a Samsung deal. BTS is just significantly bigger than her and actually managed to build a fanbase willing to buy their albums.

I agree that ChartMasters needs to remove the Chinese sales and fix the Korean and YouTube streaming numbers, though. All major platforms in China and Korea allow for chart manipulation by users.

50 minutes ago, stevyy said:

I'm not entirely sure who they is.

Most of the world is Asian, sis. And Drake and Rihanna are not setting those charts on fire.

32 minutes ago, gustavothehuman said:

At least 30% of their sales come from mass buying so it's not like their "size" translates into cultural impact anyway...

Drake and Rihanna have both been known for trend-hopping their entire careers. You just have nostalgia for them because you’re biased towards English-speaking music. :skull: 

That’s not to say that BTS are innovators in any way, but it’s crazy to see non-English speaking artists from the equivalent of an indie label coming through and destroying major label acts like Rihanna and Drake.

4 minutes ago, Eternium said:

Rihanna has actually faked album sales through a Samsung deal. BTS is just significantly bigger than her and actually managed to build a fanbase willing to buy their albums.

ChartMasters didn't count those album sales (and neither did Billboard) so how is this relevant here? :lmao: 

17 minutes ago, Eternium said:

I agree that ChartMasters needs to remove the Chinese sales and fix the Korean and YouTube streaming numbers, though. All major platforms in China and Korea allow for chart manipulation by users.

Most of the world is Asian, sis. And Drake and Rihanna are not setting those charts on fire.

Drake and Rihanna have both been known for trend-hopping their entire careers. You just have nostalgia for them because you’re biased towards English-speaking music. :skull: 

That’s not to say that BTS are innovators in any way, but it’s crazy to see non-English speaking artists from the equivalent of an indie label coming through and destroying major label acts like Rihanna and Drake.

The Samsung deal was never counted for certifications (or in ChartMasters for that matter). And I'm not saying BTS doesn't have success, I'm saying it's overstated. Butter's CD release sold 3M worldwide when the general public is barely into physical albums anymore, let alone physical SINGLES. Their success is unprecedented for an Asian act and that should be celebrated, but they're NOT bigger than Drake or Rihanna for the GP.

Edited by gustavothehuman

I mean BTS topped IFPI's global artist chart the last two years now and is looking to top it this year again, so they were bound to outsell them at some point.

22 minutes ago, gustavothehuman said:

The Samsung deal was never counted for certifications (or in ChartMasters for that matter). And I'm not saying BTS doesn't have success, I'm saying it's overstated. Butter's CD release sold 3M worldwide when the general public is barely into physical albums anymore, let alone physical SINGLES. Their success is unprecedented for an Asian act and that should be celebrated, but they're NOT bigger than Drake or Rihanna for the GP.

Wasn't Anti certified Platinum in the release date?:eli:

OT: BTS stats are so inflated. They're definitely big in Asia but most of their sales come from bulk buying.:deadbanana2:

It's ridiculous but the hags here keeps using that website as the most important and legit source.

25 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

Wasn't Anti certified Platinum in the release date?:eli:

Just saw that RIAA counted it :rip:

I confused it with Billboard, the album already surpassed 3M units (actually) sold though, so it doesn't matter.

Edited by gustavothehuman

If anything, this just speaks to how difficult it is to measure the actual success of a given artist, especially in comparing them across different eras of consumption (CD, digital, streaming). Purely mathematical conversions can produce results like this, which don’t seem quite right to a lot of people. On the other hand, perhaps BTS is unique, in that they really just are this successful, but it seems wrong to people who don’t interact with the specific microcosm of pop culture in which all of that success took place. BTS’ fanbase are notorious for their rabid devotion - so I find it entirely reasonable to think maybe they are just this big, but it’s almost entirely constrained to their devoted fans, with little bleed to the rest of the pop culture sphere. Then we get into the whole discussion of whether success in a fanbase is the same as success with the GP, whether some fanbases are more insular than others… it’s all kind of a mess in the end.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.