Was Born This Way risky?

johnny_9ss

Did Gaga take a risk by releasing a song that was so heavily geared towards the gay audience? Did she risk offending the general public? 

at the literal height of her career? yes.

She was bold, frank and openly political at a time when it was still a risk to do so, as one article once said.

i wouldnt say it was necessarily risky cause it was gaga that was doing it and that was kinda on brand for her 

Of course it was, her next release after the big era that was TFM, she was on top of the world, all eyes on her, and her approach included topics that nobody was really talking about back in 2010/11. 

JohnWayneHolland

The whole Born This Way album was risky, both sonically and lyrically/thematically, and also because she released it pretty early into her career, but that's one of the things that make this album such a masterpiece :WAP:

Ricky Wilson

No other pop girl would move 1M units with a gay album

At the time, I didn't think so, but now that I am older and wiser I have to give it to the Gaga. It does seem risky.

Yes, but the fact it's her sophomore makes it kinda impressive tho (i see TFM as an individual EP and TF as her proper debut).

I remember someone played "Judas" at a house party when it came out. I was 18 years old. The guys were dancing to it in a circle, much like we had to every Gaga song prior. During Fame/Fame Monster it was totally OK for straight (and closeted) guys to dance to her. She was cool, she was different, she was edgy. But something had changed with "Born this Way". As soon as we started bopping to "Judas", this girl walks up with a scoff on her face and says "ew what are you guys doing? This is music for faggots". We all immediately stopped dancing, looking very awkward. Shame came upon our faces. In that moment our pure uninhibited joy had been brutally smothered by the harsh, homophobic expectations of women towards men. There would be no more blissful dancing to Gaga. Now she was 'for gays only'. 

The biggest star in the world, at her peak, standing up for the LBGTQ community when it wasn't cool to do so? Of course it was risky. And yet we still have ungrateful bottoms on this forum trolling her daily.

Edited by awong918

Not really.

22 minutes ago, Protocol said:

As soon as we started bopping to "Judas", this girl walks up with a scoff on her face and says "ew what are you guys doing? This is music for faggots". We all immediately stopped dancing, looking very awkward. 

this is taking me down :bibliahh:

27 minutes ago, Protocol said:

I remember someone played "Judas" at a house party when it came out. I was 18 years old. The guys were dancing to it in a circle, much like we had to every Gaga song prior. During Fame/Fame Monster it was totally OK for straight (and closeted) guys to dance to her. She was cool, she was different, she was edgy. But something had changed with "Born this Way". As soon as we started bopping to "Judas", this girl walks up with a scoff on her face and says "ew what are you guys doing? This is music for faggots". We all immediately stopped dancing, looking very awkward. Shame came upon our faces. In that moment our pure uninhibited joy had been brutally smothered by the harsh, homophobic expectations of women towards men. There would be no more blissful dancing to Gaga. Now she was 'for gays only'. 

:deadbanana2:

OT - Yes [2153553535468476]

Duh. This was already established. YEARS AGO. :skull: 

43 minutes ago, Protocol said:

Basically this. 

Ye it was super risky. She didn't need to do that to her career so early. She went from Like A Virgin straight into Erotica territory 

2 hours ago, Protocol said:

I’m sorry but…:bibliahh:

Yeah, I think it was, especially with the messages throughout.

2 hours ago, Protocol said:

As soon as we started bopping to "Judas", this girl walks up with a scoff on her face and says "ew what are you guys doing? This is music for faggots". We all immediately stopped dancing, looking very awkward. Shame came upon our faces. In that moment our pure uninhibited joy had been brutally smothered by the harsh, homophobic expectations of women towards men. There would be no more blissful dancing to Gaga. Now she was 'for gays only'. 

I'm sure this was a sad moment for you but the delivery of this is just:bibliahh:

I will say her older stuff is still cool to listen to. I've heard Poker Face and Just Dance at plenty of college parties. And my friends in our frat put Paparazzi on shuffle during our road trip. Nobody's playing BTW maybe but at least she has TF.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.