Is Drake ending the overexposure myth?

Tropez

56 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

IDWLF is her biggest hit in Spotify despite minimal promo

That’s not her biggest hit on any planet :rip: it just has more streams than her biggest hits because those songs weren’t on Spotify when they were hits. I don’t think anyone even remembers IDWLF since it was rarely performed live.

I do think overexposure is real. But not that it means you can suddenly flop. It just means that your image is less favorable, and Drake has suffered from that. A lot of people take him less seriously or have a negative opinion on him now, a lot more than a few years ago, at least.

It’s really never been a thing. The opposite… see: Rihanna. She became the Rihanna the pop icon that way. I don’t like her much but Ariana in a way too. All the big pop girls took long ass breaks and she took advantage 

that doesn’t mean it has never happened tho. 

Edited by Superbitch

Overexposure is about your public image more so than the frequency of your music. It’s just that when you’re constantly in the midst of an era there’s more opportunities for something to happen that turns people off. 

1 hour ago, jezebelvictoria said:

He's not really overexposed though. He may release a lot of music but other than that, he's not plastered over every magazine, appearing on every TV show, on every red carpet, and everything else that comes with "exposure". 

This is very true, he is not performing at every award show and attending all the events, like some other rappers/popstars do. 

he definitely drives home the point that quantity is not better than quality, I'll give him that

8 minutes ago, Rotunda said:

Overexposure is about your public image more so than the frequency of your music. It’s just that when you’re constantly in the midst of an era there’s more opportunities for something to happen that turns people off. 

Basically this. For example Taylor was overexposed in 2012-16 because of her life being plastered all over the media.

50 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

That’s not her biggest hit on any planet :rip: it just has more streams than her biggest hits because those songs weren’t on Spotify when they were hits. I don’t think anyone even remembers IDWLF since it was rarely performed live.

I do think overexposure is real. But not that it means you can suddenly flop. It just means that your image is less favorable, and Drake has suffered from that. A lot of people take him less seriously or have a negative opinion on him now, a lot more than a few years ago, at least.

It's her biggest hit in Europe.:michael:

The gp likes him and he delivers, gods plan was massive and he was 10 years in the game already.

Overexposure is not a myth. Also, Drake is not overexposed. Overexposure comes from having massive long lasting hits and then continuing to release without a break. Drake’s last album didn’t even have any massive long lasting hits.

The public does not obsess about men the same way it does with women so it is much more challenging for a male artist to be overexposed.  

also, you would need to be at around Britney in 2002 or Taylor in 2015 level to really have an issue.  

47 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

Basically this. For example Taylor was overexposed in 2012-16 because of her life being plastered all over the media.

It's her biggest hit in Europe.:michael:

It’s literally not. Shake It Off is 3x Plat in the UK, Blank Space, Love Story, and IKWYT are all 2x. IDWLF is Platinum. It peaked at 5, 10 of her songs peaked higher than that. And the UK is Europe’s biggest market (and the one Taylor performs best in in Europe). It did well in some European markets, and considering she’s not big in those markets overall it might look bigger than it actually is, but it’s nowhere near her biggest or most remembered hit overall. I would even argue that LWYMMD is bigger and more remembered.

It’s a moot point anyway because I agree that overexposure doesn’t have any effect on how an artist performs commercially. It’s just annoying that the overall opinion is negative, but it happens to everyone.

3 hours ago, idkwiam said:

Rihanna literally pulled a hit every from 2005 to 2018.

Tbh, I think Rihanna and her team did a lot of things to actively avoid overexposure. The first 2 albums don't count since she was still picking up steam, but from GGGB on, she was constantly transforming and changing sounds and looks to keep people interested. Plus, her single rollouts became less intensive over time. TT and UA were like half-eras, single wise. After WFL smashed, she barely promoted YDO, she didn't shoot a video for TTT or BC remix and neither of those were pushed to pop. WHYB basically re-started (and closed) the era. And the Unapologetic era basically ended after the first 2 singles too.

Welp. Well it looks like he truly is overexposed and now is underperforming as a result. 210-230k would be a success if it was most other artists, but for Drake, this is an underperformance.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:30 PM, jezebelvictoria said:

He's not really overexposed though. He may release a lot of music but other than that, he's not plastered over every magazine, appearing on every TV show, on every red carpet, and everything else that comes with "exposure". 

On 6/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, dirrtydiana said:

He’s not overexposed 

people need to get it through their heads charts don’t matter especially now with streaming. The gp doesn’t even look at them

and how is he overexposed if the last actual mainstream hit he had was the kiki challenge (?)

apart from some features, his hits have been pretty evenly spread out

best I ever had 08

find your love 09

what’s my name? 2010

the motto 2011

hold on we’re going home 2013

hotline bling 2015

work 2015

pasionfruit 2017

Kiki 2018

This. He just drops and dips.

He doesn’t do big interviews, his videography is forgetful, he doesn’t promote via performances, he doesn’t aggressively tour, he’s not even really played on the radio as much anymore, and his albums are not lauded which would put him on more publishing outlets…..which is exactly what atrl’s expect off their MPGs. 

he isnt overexposed. he was literally hiding his baby for some time. hes hiding himself in general unless hes about to release an album. he doesnt perform. he doesnt do million photoshoots. he doesnt do interviews. he doesnt tweet. he doesnt say anything controversial. he isnt chased by paparazzi. he isnt fashion icon. people are not checking to see what boots is he wearing. hes literally in his house all day.

On 6/17/2022 at 12:32 PM, byzantium said:

The public does not obsess about men the same way it does with women so it is much more challenging for a male artist to be overexposed.  

also, you would need to be at around Britney in 2002 or Taylor in 2015 level to really have an issue.  

LOL. justin bieber says HI. he eats sandwich its national news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3229336/Justin-Bieber-bites-massive-Subway-sandwich-traipsing-NYC.html

i wouldn't say overexposure doesn't exist. i would argue that drake is overexposed but the effects of said overexposure aren't harming him stats wise. 

enough people streamed his album to get decent numbers but so far its been getting mixed reviews on social media

i guess if you have enough members of the general public checking for you + a strong consumer base, you'll never flop ( i.e. abel, taylor) 

2 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

i wouldn't say overexposure doesn't exist. i would argue that drake is overexposed but the effects of said overexposure aren't harming him stats wise. 

enough people streamed his album to get decent numbers but so far its been getting mixed reviews on social media

i guess if you have enough members of the general public checking for you + a strong consumer base, you'll never flop ( i.e. abel, taylor) 

dawn fm

1 minute ago, fridayteenage said:

dawn fm

i would consider that more an underperformance than a straight out flop

No. I don't think this is really a bad omen for him as it's an experimental album that's not in the vein of the generic, trend-hoppy music he's conditioned his fans to worship him for and stream to death, but not letting any of his projects breathe is going to hurt him in the long run.

He was a lot more respected and anticipated of an artist when there were periods of pause and now we get about a three month breathing period between him dropping something. And even that is being generous. :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.