Why isn't How I Met Your Mother iconic like The Office (US) or Friends?

Josh

It seems like once How I Met Your Mother ended it's only a show the fan base talks about. No one talks about it or have daily discussions about it's characters like The Office or Friends.

People to this day debate on the famous "We were on a break" scene on Friends. And there's plenty to discuss or rant about with The Office.

Was it the final season that killed it's replay ability?  

Edited by Josh

himym wasn't that iconic but it's always the show they compare to friends so

the ending was garbage

I pretend the last two episodes never happened 

Edited by Narima

who cares about what the basic gp thinks when it's the best comedy of that era, and still yet to be touched...

and yes it IS iconic

It didn't have great characters. I only liked Barney and Ted.

And the show tried to be Friends so badly, but was never that funny, so it's not impactful.

Edited by prézli

It was huge at the time but the finale killed it off. A GoT teas. Also it hasn’t aged well.

Edited by Robert

It was actually a pretty big show for years. Friends and the office are obviously bigger in pop culture tho 

I would say it's pretty iconic, but it also has a few things working against it perhaps:

• It's aged somewhat poorly. So much of it is Gen X/Millennial referential humor, and I can imagine a younger audience not quite making the connection to some of their jokes (the Robin Sparkles/Alanis Morissette gag, for example).
  • Barney overexposure at the height of the show's popularity. They clearly made him the Bart or Cartman of the show, and I think his shtick got old and corny.
  • It went on too long and got remarkably miserable. The latter seasons, as a whole, really, really have not held up in comparison the fun of the first four-ish.
  • The ending was a disappointment for a lot of people. When your entire story is predicated on the ending, you better make sure that ending is damn good.

But all that being said, the show still has some killer writing and should be held in higher esteem.

Edited by The7thStranger

The last season killed off the fanbase for the show and overal support. 

friends is a low bar… it’s just a gentrified version of living single 

The ending was bad. It just soured the whole series for the fans.

It just didn’t age well and dragged on for TOO many season for what the ending was.

Friends is way above, compared with the other 2 tho. The Office is actually very local while Friends remains global and HIMYM got backlash because of the finale.

It’s okay. The ending really made it difficult to rewatch though. What’s the point of sitting through all the seasons when it ends like…that?

8 hours ago, Michael196 said:

who cares about what the basic gp thinks when it's the best comedy of that era, and still yet to be touched...

and yes it IS iconic

30 rock is 10x better, sorry

himym has ted so. imagine making the ross the lead of your show.

Edited by fridayteenage

• ATRL Moderator

Because it's simply not as good. I'm rewatching it and Jesus the transphobia and homophobia makes Friends look progressive :rip: and I understand it's of its time but still they throw around a certain word way too much and way too comfortably 

the premise is very limiting, like 13 Reasons Wh . even the producers probably originally didn't think it would last that long.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.