Kim K damaged Marylin’s iconiqué 5M dress

Superbitch

Omg the missing stones :skull: and it looks like they tried to sew in new bigger ones too. 

This is basically vandalism 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enoch

• Joyride

• Oceania

• lostcause

This thread. :rip: Ultimately it was a gamble - wearing the dress to such a major event by such a huge star helped boost the profile of the dress enormously, had Kim not worn it and some poor historical curator had damaged it, I doubt we'd be seeing such headlines.

Kim helped solidify this dress as raise awareness of it, which ultimately is a good thing. It's hardly damaged beyond repair.

6 hours ago, ConceptD said:

Kim shouldn’t have been allowed to wear it, but imagine being the person that owns a dead woman’s personal belongings as a career/hobby/fetish. That’s creepy. 

How do they clean it? I’m sure they want whatever scent of Marilyn on it. :biblionny:

1 minute ago, Rican said:

How do they clean it? I’m sure they want whatever scent of Marilyn on it. :biblionny:

It’s really scary that these people exist and society just accepts it. It’s not really any different than when people buy used underwear on onlyfans imo. 

12 minutes ago, Rican said:

now they've got K*m's STANK on it. 

ecce-homo-and-after-resized.jpg?itok=zz_

serving ^ realness

Surely there’s a metaphor in this for how much contempt rich people have for the rest of us. The narcissism is off the charts and all for quick lil viral moments to stay relevant. This is doing actual damage to our society…

marilyn monroe GIF

I'm torn between two opinions...

1) Compared to all the misogynistic and body-shaming comments she's receiving, it's just a piece of fabric. 

2) It is shitty just the way she saw how much her ego would grow just to say she wore the most expensive dress in the world but subsequently ruin one of the most important artifacts in the Americana culture because it could obviously never have fitted her. 

She should've known better, but some of these comments are just SO over the line. Get a grip, gays

Of course KIM would deem herself too important to NOT wear the dress and ruin it with her unrealistic plastic ass. :bibliahh:

The fact that she looked like **** in a historical garment she ruined forever... :bibliahh:

idk why she wore it, it's a historical piece of american history. it couldn't even fit her anyway, yet she still insisted on wearing it. it was in poor taste. that said, people are seriously overreacting and calling kim a fat ass or whatever is unnecessary 

29 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

I'm torn between two opinions...

1) Compared to all the misogynistic and body-shaming comments she's receiving, it's just a piece of fabric. 

2) It is shitty just the way she saw how much her ego would grow just to say she wore the most expensive dress in the world but subsequently ruin one of the most important artifacts in the Americana culture because it could obviously never have fitted her. 

She should've known better, but some of these comments are just SO over the line. Get a grip, gays

This is EXACTLY how I feel :rip: 

I dont even like Kim but.....there are people dying. The dramatics and sick comments over a dress are too much. On the other hand, she should have known/done better. But I'm not even shocked.

Of course her inflated fake ass would **** the dress up

Y'all blaming Kim when you should be blaming the museum for even lending it out in the first place.

Lock this useless ho and throw away the key at the bottom of a deep lake. 

30 minutes ago, BODERLINE said:

Y'all blaming Kim when you should be blaming the museum for even lending it out in the first place.

Equal parts, I'd say. A very powerful person putting pressure on them in this day and age is probably tough to decline.

The fact that she took a dress from a museum just to wear it for like one picture, I really hate millionares :rainy:

The people that claim no one cared about this dress before Kim wore it should probably close this tab and do some research. 

7 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Equal parts, I'd say. A very powerful person putting pressure on them in this day and age is probably tough to decline.

Except they initially DID decline her request to wear it. So they were well aware of what could happen when they ultimately allowed her to wear it. But yeah, she's not completely innocent either. She should have known people would not approve and just worn the replica all night - or opted for another look.

Yeah this is a crime for the culture :(

Edited by Solar

8 hours ago, lostcause said:

Wow there’s a lot of ignorance in this thread. 
Let me repost what bares repeating: 

Rosetta Stone, Who cares? It’s a rock

Magna Carta, who cares? It’s paper

Michelangelo’s David, who cares? It’s also just a rock

Mona Lisa?  Dead Sea scrolls? King tuts sarcophagus? 

No. Don’t be flippant on a forum that is dedicated to honoring an art form. 

Art is valuable. It’s our only communication with the past and future. It helps tell the story of human life on earth. Fashion is art, and this dress is meaningful in modern American history. It is not comparable to a defaced Hermes, because Marilyn’s dress holds a layered significance. 

Kim is no Ai Weiwei. She wore the piece for the very fact of its myth, so to her it is far more than “just a dress”.

Ai Weiwei broke ancient Han pottery as a commentary on the inherent value of “consumer culture”, and as a critique of the fact that the mao regime purposefully destroyed millennia of artifacts in an attempt to rewrite Chinese culture in his totalitarian image. Historical art is powerful enough to terrify histories most powerful people. That’s because art holds within it a unique and irreplaceable heritage. 

Kim wore the dress to fulfill her own monstrous narcissism. She doesn’t care to understand the historical or personal meaning that the garment symbolizes. She doesn’t care that Marilyn is said to have asked nobody else wear the dress because it was the only thing in her life that was hers and hers alone. The souffle used to form the dress was fitted to her exact measurements. To Marilyn, this dress symbolized reclamation. The world felt  ownership of her body, her image, her life. So she had a dress made to hug that body, a dress she alone could wear, proof her body was hers. 

Souffle is a fabric that degrades quickly. The garment Kim struggled to fit in is 60 year old textile. No more than a touch will forever alter its integrity, someone ill fitted to it sweating, walking, wearing layers of makeup and tanner, and stepping on the hem decades after it has been preserved is going to damage it. Kim is aloof, self obsessed, careless and stupid enough to think this piece of art was no different from a custom catsuit or a graffitied Hermes. Kim is ignorant and entitled, but worst of all she is callously unable to empathize with the woman she claims to idolize. She excitedly accepted a lock of Marilyn’s hair that was robbed from the film stars fresh corpse. Beyond the inherent creepiness, possessing the hair of a dead Jewish woman is extremely offensive to the faith Marilyn converted to. 

I’m tired of people insinuating commodity heritage items, art, and artifacts are shallow or lack value. Art is history, art is culture, art is universal. This dress is more valuable than the ego of a sad hollow rich woman who stands for nothing. Art is more valuable than Kim’s existence.

Marilyns Happy birthday dress symbolizes a layered and fraught moment in history, it symbolizes an aspect of society we struggle with to this day. It is a symbol of the civilization James Baldwin once dreamed would lead to something better after collapse. 
Kim Kardashian is a billboard. She is a false idol selling insecurity, faux authenticity, and capitalism. She has created nothing, she has never shared an original thought, she is as faceless and toxic as the dollar she worships.

This! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.