Cyndi Lauper: Gaga brought dance pop back into the mainstream

Bimbo

106668857_1316971991825120_9179672421965123258_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=PBZSMD2xzQ0AX9bpqsY&_nc_ht=scontent.fntr1-1.fna&oh=00_AT_ECBrwawqJPYtNFiJ-c4RZKSMDw2TCwWXU0rSTc0-4sA&oe=62C5239A

From classic Broadway musicals to Joni Mitchell’s vivid songwriting to the genius of Missy Elliott, here are the sounds that shaped the pop eccentric’s life, five years at a time.

Lady Gaga: The Fame

"I really liked the energy of this album. It was young. It was dance. It was different. I was making a dance record at the time [2008’s Bring Ya to the Brink], and I just thought what she was doing was so great for the scene. She crossed it right back into the mainstream, which hadn’t been done since the ’90s.

I love old movies and often pull inspiration from them, and I felt that maybe Gaga did, too. But of course, she was modern, and kind of left. She writes great pop songs. You listened to the songs on The Fame and you knew them in one listen.

I also liked her a lot; we did a Mac Viva Glam campaign together. I knew her when she came out, performed with her in the early days. I believe that dance music is more of a visual, and that’s always been important to me, and I saw Gaga do it right."

Pitchfork

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rican

• slw84

• Bimbo

• Jjang

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the true colors songstress lie? :jonny5:

Queen! I remember her stanning Beautiful, Dirty, Rich (aka the best song of all time) back in the day too!

A non bitter queen. :clap3:

To Cyndi: 
tumblr_nlnau68xmL1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

She lied! 

2008 was already beginning to have a plethora of Dance - Pop smashes prior to when JD/PF started picking up, it's common knowledge. Even Rap / Hip - Hop songs were incoprating Electro-Pop / Dance elements / Club - orientated sound (Like Low or Lollipop

She did however popularize Redone's production  but that died down like 10 months later and became a fad because he's dreadfully unoriginal 

1562813727-american-idol-gifamerican-ido

Edited by Jjang

Dance pop was always popular in Europe but Gaga brought such sound (alongside with The Black Eyed Peas) at the right time and shifted music into EDM direction that was heavily popular in early 2010s (and indirectly killed off R&B and pop rock popularity from the mainstream charts)

3 minutes ago, Rican said:

Would the iconic singer with the biggest female classic of the 1980’s lie? 

madonna-tea.gif

i don't see Whitney Houston mentioned anywhere :confused:

The Madonna stan already having a meltdown. Typical and embarrassing. :skull: 

Cyndi told NO lies! :clap:

Cameltoe Chariot

Cyndi is absolutely correct, Gaga brought back event pop. She had ALL of the girlies scrambling and sticking blocks of cheese on their heads to stay in the spotlight and it was hilarious to see.

playforfortunes-tsmadison.gif

1 minute ago, Jay-El said:

The Madonna stan already having a meltdown. Typical and embarrassing. :skull: 

Cyndi told NO lies! :clap:

You can tell this one HURT he needed to come up with sum quick :deadbanana4:

2 minutes ago, brenda-walsh said:

i don't see Whitney Houston mentioned anywhere :confused:

That’s because Whitney has the second biggest female classic of the 1980’s with “I Wanna Dance With Somebody”

5XOQ.gif

Cyndi has always been so supportive of Gaga, i love her :heart2:

7 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

Cyndi is absolutely correct, Gaga brought back event pop. She had ALL of the girlies scrambling and sticking blocks of cheese on their heads to stay in the spotlight and it was hilarious to see.

The way the girls had to start making good music videos and singing live. Whew.

23 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

You can tell this one HURT he needed to come up with sum quick :deadbanana4:

And their post being the only edit on this thread. :lmao:

I think it’s always reductionist to attribute trends like these to individuals. There was a collective industry-wide movement back to dance pop/electro pop happening at that time.

MadonnasBoyfriend

gaga threads kylie threads cyndi lauper threads all have one thing in common: They all turn into Madonna threads by page 1 :clap3:

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

She lied! 

2008 was already beginning to have a plethora of Dance - Pop smashes prior to when JD/PF started picking up, it's common knowledge. Even Rap / Hip - Hop songs were incoprating Electro-Pop / Dance elements / Club - orientated sound (Like Low or Lollipop

She did however popularize Redone's production  but that died down like 10 months later and became a fad because he's dreadfully unoriginal 

1562813727-american-idol-gifamerican-ido

Exactly. In the zone and Blackout sweetie.

2002-2006 urban pop was big (Justin, xtina, fergie, nelly, beyonce, rihanna)

2003 Andre 3000 and Britney Spears went against the grain and put out pop sounds but Toxic was dance electropop vs Hey Ya. I remember Billboard making an article noting those two songs going against the grain and winning.

She did hop on it and her era will be more remembered than most from that era. so that's true.

1 minute ago, slw84 said:

Exactly. In the zone and Blackout sweetie.

2002-2006 urban pop was big (Justin, xtina, fergie, nelly, beyonce, rihanna)

2003 Andre 3000 and Britney Spears went against the grain and put out pop sounds but Toxic was dance electropop vs Hey Ya. I remember Billboard making an article noting those two songs going against the grain and winning.

She did hop on it and her era will be more remembered than most from that era. so that's true.

Also Womanizer (Dance - Pop) was #1 on BB when Just Dance wasn't even top 40 :cm:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.