DC's Black Adam (2022) | Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson | RT: 39%, MC: 41

Broken

On 10/23/2022 at 2:32 PM, BNF91 said:

DC fans are coping hard but I think it's just because they are starving for content. This won't even get much further than $400- 450M globally on a $200M budget (plus massive marketing blitz). Money loser. 

Will it gross 400M without China? Because this film probably needs more than 500M to break even. Usually, studios must share 50% of the box office with theaters. So if BA makes $500M, WB only gets $250M. And with marketing included, Black Adam's total budget is likely over $300M. They gave Black Adam the budget of Batman. And for that reason, it needs to get a lot closer to Batman numbers than Shazam numbers to be a "win" for WB. With a total spent of 300M at least. It would need more than 500M just to break even. And breaking even is not even the same as making a real profit.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorjesspazze9

• Broken

• Arcadius

• Sweetestsecret

36 minutes ago, Outside789 said:

Will it gross 400M without China? Because this film probably needs more than 500M to break even. Usually, studios must share 50% of the box office with theaters. So if BA makes $500M, WB only gets $250M. And with marketing included, Black Adam's total budget is likely over $300M. They gave Black Adam the budget of Batman. And for that reason, it needs to get a lot closer to Batman numbers than Shazam numbers to be a "win" for WB. With a total spent of 300M at least. It would need more than 500M just to break even. And breaking even is not even the same as making a real profit.

Without China I don't see $400M ATM. Maybe $375-380M. Lots of money lost. 

12 hours ago, BNF91 said:

Without China I don't see $400M ATM. Maybe $375-380M. Lots of money lost. 

This means the film would need more than 200M in China to make a real profit. Because with at least 300M spent on this project. It's likely it needs 600M or close to 600M BO gross at leats to make a profit.

Its definitely another huge financial loss for WB/DC. They really have a ton of making up to do with getting people back invested but at this point you have to wonder if it's too late. I'm guessing they will release it on HBO Max in time for Christmas.

Also, looking at it the China was never confirmed to begin with. Will Avatar 2 even get a release over there? I'm starting to think it won't due to it being tied with Disney. 

If ba can reach 400M.  will depend on how much Black Panther affect ba's BO performance. Does anybody here have any idea if BP can cut ba's legs so hard like i have some people suggest?

On 11/5/2022 at 2:12 PM, Arcadius said:

Its definitely another huge financial loss for WB/DC. They really have a ton of making up to do with getting people back invested but at this point you have to wonder if it's too late. I'm guessing they will release it on HBO Max in time for Christmas.

Also, looking at it the China was never confirmed to begin with. Will Avatar 2 even get a release over there? I'm starting to think it won't due to it being tied with Disney. 

I don't know what to think of the new team at WB. But at this point, i don't have hopes for the DCEU.

And this movie would have needed around 600M to be a hit. Was there ever any guarantee that China could make the movie hit that mark? Because it looks like it may struggle to reach the 400M, with how things are going.

8 hours ago, Outside789 said:

I don't know what to think of the new team at WB. But at this point, i don't have hopes for the DCEU.

And this movie would have needed around 600M to be a hit. Was there ever any guarantee that China could make the movie hit that mark? Because it looks like it may struggle to reach the 400M, with how things are going.

The Rock's movies all seem to always do well in China so I think that's why everyone was banking on it.

I mean, I'm not overjoyed with James Gunn and Peter Safran taking over, but honestly it's better than nothing. I did really enjoy TSS and Peacemaker. 

On 11/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, Arcadius said:

The Rock's movies all seem to always do well in China so I think that's why everyone was banking on it.

I mean, I'm not overjoyed with James Gunn and Peter Safran taking over, but honestly it's better than nothing. I did really enjoy TSS and Peacemaker. 

How much did his last movie make in China? Outside of big team cast movies like fast and furious. That would give us some info about the chances that ba had with China.

The movie will be available on VOD tomorrow. Holy ****. That was  FAST :deadbanana2:.

That's why Ms. Johnson was fuming yesterday? :redface:

Why were people saying $400M was locked? $400M is dead and gone lol. Not sure what made that Twitter think it could reach $410-430M :huh:

6 hours ago, BNF91 said:

Why were people saying $400M was locked? $400M is dead and gone lol. Not sure what made that Twitter think it could reach $410-430M :huh:

It still has to premiere in Japan and The Rock's last/last-ish movie made $30M there

On 11/21/2022 at 10:58 PM, xrosup said:

It still has to premiere in Japan and The Rock's last/last-ish movie made $30M there

When does it open in Japan?

It will outgross Black Widow (WW) and Eternals domestic box office by this Friday, still on route to $400M, it has $22.3M left and Japan premiere this week.

• ATRL Moderator

Watched this last week and while it was nothing to write home about, it had a couple cute moments. I hate seeing such wasted potential again and again when it comes to DC though

Officially a box office flop. At least this hopefully means he won’t have any influence on DC in the future. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.