Tampa Bay Rays Players Protest Pride Night Because of Jesus

Bethenny Frankel

It was supposed to be a show of unity in support of the LGBTQ+ community. For Pride Night at Tropicana Field, the Tampa Bay Rays wore special jerseys and caps sporting the rainbow-colored logo.

"Nearly every Tampa Bay player who took the field against the White Sox in the first inning did so with a rainbow-colored sunburst logo patch on his right arm and a rainbow-colored "TB" logo on his cap," Adam Berry reported for MLB.com.

But five Rays pitchers opted out. Jason Adam, Jalen Beeks, Brooks Raley, Jeffrey Springs and Ryan Thompson "peeled off" the logo and wore the team's standard cap, according to Tampa Bay Times writer Marc Topkin.

Adam told Topkin that, while they respected the team's decision to show its support of the LGBTQ+ community, they opted out for religious reasons.

"A lot of it comes down to faith, to like a faith-based decision," Adam said. "So it's a hard decision. Because ultimately we all said what we want is them to know that all are welcome and loved here."

But, he continued, "When we put it on our bodies, I think a lot of guys decided that it's just a lifestyle that maybe — not that they look down on anybody or think differently — it's just that maybe we don't want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who's encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior, just like (Jesus) encourages me as a heterosexual male to abstain from sex outside of the confines of marriage."

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/06/1103303679/tampa-bay-rays-rainbow-logo-pride-night?utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr

Florida is such a horrible place, I am going to continue to never step foot there ever again.

Shocking. America’s limp dick continues to be worthless. 

Its only 5 players who cares what they think 

• ATRL Moderator

This is so odd for me, I remember a time when major league sports teams completely ignored LGBT pride and it's great to see most of the members have support.  However, this was such a bad decision for the team manager, because all they are going to get is negative feedback for these five members. 

1 hour ago, Bethenny Frankel said:

It was supposed to be a show of unity in support of the LGBTQ+ community. For Pride Night at Tropicana Field, the Tampa Bay Rays wore special jerseys and caps sporting the rainbow-colored logo.

"Nearly every Tampa Bay player who took the field against the White Sox in the first inning did so with a rainbow-colored sunburst logo patch on his right arm and a rainbow-colored "TB" logo on his cap," Adam Berry reported for MLB.com.

But five Rays pitchers opted out. Jason Adam, Jalen Beeks, Brooks Raley, Jeffrey Springs and Ryan Thompson "peeled off" the logo and wore the team's standard cap, according to Tampa Bay Times writer Marc Topkin.

Adam told Topkin that, while they respected the team's decision to show its support of the LGBTQ+ community, they opted out for religious reasons.

"A lot of it comes down to faith, to like a faith-based decision," Adam said. "So it's a hard decision. Because ultimately we all said what we want is them to know that all are welcome and loved here."

But, he continued, "When we put it on our bodies, I think a lot of guys decided that it's just a lifestyle that maybe — not that they look down on anybody or think differently — it's just that maybe we don't want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who's encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior, just like (Jesus) encourages me as a heterosexual male to abstain from sex outside of the confines of marriage."

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/06/1103303679/tampa-bay-rays-rainbow-logo-pride-night?utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr

Florida is such a horrible place, I am going to continue to never step foot there ever again.

Literally has nothing to do with Florida :rip:

MadonnasBoyfriend

im gay and dont care and also think their opinions dont beed to be elevated and given a platform. who cares what they think?

I bet they drink and engage in pre marital 

hypocrites really! 

They’re stupid baseball players. I’m not offended, but I also think the 5 that opted out are also whiny little *******.

5 hours ago, Bethenny Frankel said:

just like (Jesus) encourages me as a heterosexual male to abstain from sex outside of the confines of marriage

SURE Jan

We're talking about people that need to throw balls to graduate successfully, soooo....

Jesus would've hated baseball FYI, why aren't these men working in the fields and married? This generation of secular christian men disgust me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.