Your skin care routine? Which products?

fauxtography

Asking the real questions considering I just had the epiphany that I need to start taking as much care of my skin now while it’s still tight and even. 

i haven’t done anything special my whole life other than wash my face with soap in the shower and put facial sunscreen on when I’m going to be outside for extended periods - so a few weeks ago I blew some cash getting a skin care routine. I got cleanser, a toner, and moisturizer and have been good about keeping up with it everyday…but now I’m reading you need exfoliates? essence? Serums? Mists???Precleanser???? What is this mama???? :biblio:

anyways, what’s your skincare routine? What products do you use? I spent a lot on expensive k beauty products but after a week I kinda feel redic and realized I could probably just get drugstore…

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fauxtography

• Katamari

• Burqaswag

• fememeist

Anything with retinol, collagen, green tea, vitamin E, hyauluronic acid. 

Use every night before bed and first thing in the morning after you shower, if you shower in the mornings. 

I mostly use Glossier because it’s really simple to understand what the products are for, they’re not that expensive and make your skin look amazing.

So I use their cleanser, exfoliator, moisturizer, retinol and serums (and makeup). And from other brands I use a stronger cleanser from Liz Earle and the toner from Goop :gaycat1:

I would like to change for other brands but tbh i’m lazy and also find the whole range of skincare, serums, acids, creams etc super intimidating 

Edited by TaylorNation

10 minutes ago, izzyinsane said:

Anything with retinol, collagen, green tea, vitamin E, hyauluronic acid. 

Use every night before bed and first thing in the morning after you shower, if you shower in the mornings. 

Like serums? Or like, get cleanser with collagen or whatever

You do not need to spend a tonne of money on products, you were doing the right thing. Capitalism is expecting people nowadays to spend a lot of unecessary money. Pre cleanser and serum and the other bull are marketing gimmicks. 

Think of the products as supplements for the gym but for your skin instead. The most important things are the basics (your training), the things you can control easily without any products: 

-washing your pillow regularly (weekly ideally)

-drinking plenty of water daily, having an almost clean diet limiting bad carbs, artificial chemicals, added salt and sugars and alcohol 

-limiting stress wherever possible (as cortisol during the stress cascade can lead to breakouts), including having a healthy sleep schedule

-striking a fine balance between sunlight exposure and overexposure 

The products: 

-cleanser 

-a soft face wash - try to limit use of an exfoliant face wash to once a week (especially ones with harsh pebbles/crystals) to prevent rough cell damage 

(when washing it is best advised to not use boiling water or be in a steamed or sauna type environment too much to ensure your skin remains in a homeostatic environment)
-moisturiser, tinted on the eyes and elsewhere if you wish to cover blemishes or dark circles 

-apply sunscreen 2/3 daily with a high SPF

-retinol 

-Sunglasses and an outdoor hat during sunny days 

-try to prevent chemicals like alcohol based cologne which can dry your skin out 

irregular products: 

-aloe vera (skin soother if you feel you are breaking out or skin is feeling sensitive) 

-face mask once a week 

if you wanna be extra 

-dermal rollers /facial massages to mechanically stimulate cells and hypothetically encourage cell turnover

-dermatologist clinical sessions , such as laser treatment to reduce wrinkles, limes, acne 

you need to say what type of skin you have and what do you want to achieve.

general things were already said, cleanser, moisturizer and spf.

k beauty is actually the cheapest option. I get whole routine and more for price of one item in western market.

If I give more its because theres nothing better like Shiseido benefiance line. 

It’s great you’re aware and want to care for your skin this young. The earlier the better. Make sure you use sunscreen if you’re out in the sun. That’s a big one. Since you’re new to skincare, try to keep it simple. 

1. Use a cleanser

2. Then use a serum

3. A moisturiser is next 

4. Finish off with a sunscreen

My skincare routine is as follows below.  I find most of my brands online or at Sephora, but you can easily find much cheaper alternatives that contain some of the same ingredients.  The main focus should be on Retinol serum at night, vitamin C serum if possible day and ngiht, a moisturizing night cream for your eyes and face, and SPF.

Daytime

• Toner (Aesop Parsley Seed toner)
  • Vitamin C serum (Youth to the People Vitamin C + Caffeine serum)
  • Eye serum (Aesop Exalted eye serum)
  • Face moisturizer (Youth to the People face moisturizer)
  • SPF/sunscreen if you go outside (Supergoop Sunscreen)
  • Optional: Retinol serum (Dr. Dennis Gross Retinol + Ferulic serum) 
  • Cleanser: Innisfree Clarifying Cleansing Foam or Aesop cleansing oil

Nighttime

• Toner (Aesop Parsley Seed toner)
  • Retinol serum (Dr. Dennis Gross Retinol + Ferulic serum) 
  • Vitamin C serum (Dr. Dennis Gross Collagen Brighten & Vitamin C serum) 
  • Night eye cream with retinol (Olay Regenerist 24 Retinol cream)
  • Night face cream (Olay Regenerist 24 Retinol cream)
  • Cleanser: Innisfree Clarifying Cleansing Foam or Aesop exfoliator 

My total comes out to around $520 but you can snag most of this for much less, especially if you focus on K-beauty brands or even drug store brands.  The only parts that matter are the ingredients and making sure you stick to a consistent routine, especially with Retinol.  Wash your face, drink plenty of fluids and water, and try to sleep well.  When I was in college, I think my total skincare cost came out to maybe $77 for everything I needed (I only used Retinol serum, face moisturizer, face wash, and SPF) from a drug store.

Edited by Archetype

I was like you when I started. I got too carried away with exfoliation and damaged my skin barrier ( like every influencer 4 years ago lol, now they are all about "healthy skin barrier" lmao, they learned their lession). I was using The ordinary AHA BHA peel way too much.

Now I am simple about my skincare:

A very very gentle cleanser (I find that if I skip it in the morning its okay. Sometimes I skip it in the evening too)

A random toner ( without alcohol) - its not necessary at all but I like it and its cheap.

Then I use Holika Holika ( a K beauty brand) aloe vera gel. Its so nice on the skin. To me its like a serum.

And Cerave moisturising cream and add a few drops of argan oil. My skin is great. I do that in the evenings

In the mornings before I shower, I sometimes massage my face with almond oil and do a lymph drainage ( look into that, it makes my face less puffy and swollen. I see a difference if I do it 3-4 days in a row.. 5-10min is enough and it relaxes you).

If im breaking out I slab some prescription thing on the affected area and its gone in 3 days - please dont waiste your money and go to a doctor if nothing seems to help with acne. I wish Id done it sooner, now my skin is great and I rarely use the presription oitment.

I just finished accutane and you have to stick to the most basic/gentle skin routine. It’s pretty inexpensive so I’ve just stuck with that after finishing accutane and it’s so much better for my skin instead of putting a thousand products on it every day. 

I'm not one that spends a lot of time and money on skin care, mostly because of my journey with it. I always had minor acne growing up which came and went. During the first lockdown in March 2020 I decide to take care of my skin which was getting worse (honestly being 20+ with acne really made me feel like ****) so I decided to spend lots of money on The Ordinary products and more, I used some products that are very popular here in Italy and that apparently work wonders. The Ordinary completely ruined my face and I was so miserable that I decided to try accutane as it had worked wonders for many of my girl friends. I did and my face was like new, so I've been following the dermatologist's products list for almost two years now, and I'm so scared to try anything cause everytime I did in the past I ****** up my face :rip: now I use A-derma foaming gel, eucerin soothing treatment and an eye cream, either the one from Sephora which I highly recommend or the Bioderma Intensive eye one. My face isn't as clear as it was last year during/after accutane but it acts like a normal skin, I can get pimples sometimes but I don't have them all the time as in the past, which is fine. I'd recommend being careful especially if you have sensitive skin, and don't overdo it cause most of the times it's not good.

edit: forgot to mention the Bioderma Sensibio micellar water to remove my make up, I use a lot of make up but that's quite nice, it removes everything and doesn't even bother my eyes. 

Edited by ariananext
edit

Taylucifer

my acne wasn’t bad enough for me to use Accutane so i tried Tretinoin and it has worked wonders, my skin is literally “glassy” and translucent now nnn

i get a few acne here and there but nothing major

AM:

splash water on face

vitamin c 

hydrating toner

peptide serum

moisturizer 

spf 

PM:

cleansing balm

water based cleanser 

hydrating toner

alpha arbutin serum

snail mucin essence

moisturizer

tretinoin 

People always compliment my skin, but all I do is wash my face. I guess I got lucky with my genetics. :gaycat1:

If your skin doesn't have any problems just stick to a good cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen :michael: 

i’m currently using the fenty skin non scented items and they’re easy to use but expensive ?

was the skincare thread not migrated into the new atrl?

I've stripped down my skincare over the past few years. Nowadays I just try to make sure to wash my face and moisturize morning and night. I use the Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser, which has been my favorite for years, and the Cetaphil moisturizer. Both of these products work great for me, last a long time and are super simple yet effective.

I have some other products (Glossier's serums and a few face masks etc.) that I just use when I feel like I need something extra :eli: 

semen

2 hours ago, Lazuli said:

If your skin doesn't have any problems just stick to a good cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen :michael: 

these are pretty much the only things you need.

anything else is just skincare companies trying to get to your coins. unless there's a specific issue you want to address, don't overdo because you can actually damage your skin by using too much or the wrong products. 

Vitamin C serum changed everything for me! My skincare routine is pretty light though, I use a cleanser, exfoliate once or twice a week, apply toner, then apply serum, then moisturise.

What do y’all recommend for big pores? I took acutane when I was younger since I had bad skin, and now my skin is generally fine. However, my nose and the area around it gets rather oily. But I wanna do something to make those pores get smaller and make my skin look more smooth :'(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.