Is "Top Gun: Maverick (Music From The Motion Picture)" Gaga´album?

Gagacharts

Is "Top Gun: Maverick (Music From The Motion Picture)" Gaga´s album?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is "Top Gun: Maerick" Gaga´s album?

• Yes, the album belongs to Gaga
    • No, it´s not Gaga´s album

So, today/tomorrow the soundtrack for Top Gun will be released. Gaga has production credits for 9/12 (75%) songs.

If the Sountrack flops, most of the OGHs will say that Gaga has "another" flop album and monsters will say it´s not her album. If it smashes, monsters would claim it as "another" successful Gaga album and OGH´s will deny it.

To prevent this situation please vote, so we see what most people think.

Edited by Gagacharts

i think most people agree that soundtrack albums are NOT studio albums and are not technically part of the discography(except in very few exceptions like The Bodyguard, but that wasn't considered a Whitney album until years later)

but that would mean monsters can't call ASIB a gaga album, and i know several monsters would take issue with that.

12 minutes ago, yonsé said:

i think most people agree that soundtrack albums are NOT studio albums and are not technically part of the discography(except in very few exceptions like The Bodyguard, but that wasn't considered a Whitney album until years later)

but that would mean monsters can't call ASIB a gaga album, and i know several monsters would take issue with that.

ASIB is almost all original music and she's all over the album. She gave us 12 new songs on it, 1 less than Chromatica. I don't see it as being any different from The Bodyguard for Whitney which is always cited as her biggest album and I've never seen anyone say that it doesn't belong to Whitney's core discography. Hell, if OSTs automatically don't count as part of an artists core discography, then Purple Rain isn't a core Prince album. :rip: I think it's more case by case. 

As for Top Gun, it's one original ballad and a handful of composing credits. I personally don't consider it to be part of her core discography.

16 minutes ago, Shelter said:

I will wait until I see how it does first 

uGoblp3.gif

Me too, tbh. 

5 minutes ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

ASIB is almost all original music and she's all over the album. She gave us 12 new songs on it, 1 less than Chromatica. I don't see it as being any different from The Bodyguard for Whitney which is always cited as her biggest album and I've never seen anyone say that it doesn't belong to Whitney's core discography. Hell, if OSTs automatically don't count as part of an artists core discography, then Purple Rain isn't a core Prince album. :rip: I think it's more case by case. 

As for Top Gun, it's one original ballad and a handful of composing credits. I personally don't consider it to be part of her core discography.

comparing innovative musical moments like The Bodyguard and Purple Rain to a remake of a remake of is a....choice.

but this is exactly what i mean. y'all won't hear it.

do people count A Star is Born as part of Barbra's discography? no, not really. They call it a soundtrack. and babs won the same oscar. 

Edited by yonsé

if it does well, yes 

4C66247E-52F4-4B70-BF1B-5310DDF71BDA.gif

1 minute ago, yonsé said:

comparing innovative musical moments like The Bodyguard and Purple Rain to a remake of a remake of is a....choice.

The music has nothing to do with the movie being a remake of a remake. If it's about the movie, then the panned, Razzie'd Bodyguard with its biggest song being a cover should not count either. 

5 minutes ago, yonsé said:

Girl, what at all is innovative about the music for The Bodyguard :rip:

At the end of the day, they are OSTs that are considered to be part of their respective artist's core discography. If the position you want to take is that a soundtrack automatically can't count towards an artist's core discography, there are multiple precedents that go against that. If it's now about innovation, I think we can take that as your shifting the goalpost in nonsensical ways. 

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid

9 minutes ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

Girl, what at all is innovative about the music for The Bodyguard :rip:

At the end of the day, they are albums that are considered to be part of their respective artist's core discography. If the position you want to take is that a soundtrack automatically can't count towards an artist's core discography, there are multiple precedents that go against that. If it's now about innovation, I think we can take that as your shifting the goalpost in nonsensical ways. 

it was the first soundtrack of its kind to be headlined solo by a female pop star and become the best selling soundtrack of all time...not u trying to come for whitney????? pop girls weren't doing full albums worth of soundtracks before whitney the same way pop girls werent putting rappers on their songs before mariah. know ur history mama.

if you want to count it then great, don't get mad though when ppl say Top Gun is a gaga album.

Edited by yonsé

9 minutes ago, Girls5eva said:

The music has nothing to do with the movie being a remake of a remake. If it's about the movie, then the panned, Razzie'd Bodyguard with its biggest song being a cover should not count either. 

interesting take lol

If she’s only singing on 1 or 2 songs I wouldn’t count it personally.

It all depends of the number of songs in which she's singing.

I'm Breathless is obviously a Madonna album. So is Burlesque for Xtina, ASIB for GaGa, The Gift for Bee or Black Panther for Kendrick; but if she's singing only 2 or 3 songs then no, it's not.

Of course it's Gaga's.. she was credited for like what 9tracks??

57 minutes ago, yonsé said:

I strongly disagree, of course it's not a studio album and shouldn't be expected to perform as such but it's part of the artist's whole discography. 

--------

Yes, I suppose it is.

22 hours ago, yonsé said:

do people count A Star is Born as part of Barbra's discography? no, not really. They call it a soundtrack. and babs won the same oscar. 

What does A Star Is Born being a remake have to do with the soundtrack? It's full of original songs.

If it smashes, it's hers. If it doesn't, it's not.

If it flops yes 

if it smashes no 

It is imo.

It's not one of her studio albums ofc, but it's as much of a Gaga album as "A Star Is Born" imo.
It's mostly an orchestral album (afaik) and she's a credited composer, so it is.

I mean... It's gonna smash because Gaga's name is attached to it and HMH is soaring up the charts. So because of that, it's her album just like the film's box office success is because of her. 

Well I wasn’t sure before this thread so I checked Apple Music, and the album artist is listed as:

Lady Gaga, OneRepublic, Lorna Balfe, Harold Faltermeyer & Hans Zimmer

Which is odd as I would’ve expected it to be Various Artists. But since it’s the way it is, yes it’s a Lady Gaga album.

Spotify seems to think it is so I guess it is one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.