Aus politics: Labor party defeats Coalition government

Chemist

Good.

Do Australians here think this will do anything to slow down the expansion of Australia's police state?

Western Australia really did THAT :clap3: 

Is it good or bad? Is their own Trump winning or Biden or hillary or bernie?

Edited by Mohit

11 minutes ago, Nano said:

Do Australians here think this will do anything to slow down the expansion of Australia's police state?

:ahh: 

2 minutes ago, Mohit said:

Yes, It's good. The EVIL has been defeated :WAP:

4 minutes ago, Mohit said:

Basically our Trump has just been voted out. So, good.

Just now, PoisonCandy said:

Basically our Trump has just been voted out. So, good.

Wow. That's great :flower2:

Fingers crossed the same happens in the UK... happy for my Australian sisters x

Massive win for climate change policies

Good news, mostly happy that the third party vote has done so well. It’s time to put pressure on the major parties to do better. 

36 minutes ago, Chemist said:

Our only hope is that Labor can form a majority government and avoid the chaos. 

There was nothing that could be done for the Liberals besides Albanese goofing on the campaign trail. But he was smart enough to basically stay in hiding and let Morrison fall on the sword of the current economic climate.

The Morrison’s response to the pandemic was really unmatched globally (benefitted from being landlocked enormously) and the countries economic rebound was really impressive. I think if the Ukraine/Russia/Oil crisis hadn’t occurred in the months prior then we’d be looking at a much different election night. Any government in this position, with record inflation (and consequently a lowering ‘real wage’) was never going to keep power.

The minor parties remain a nuisance, in that they can enter any election cycle on one or two issues with no costings and very little detail. I hope and pray they don’t hold the balance of power and Labor can govern it’s three years with a clear path to its idea of a stronger and better Australia.

Really sad for Josh Frydenberg, the treasurer behind JobKeeper and JobSeeker which helped Australia phenomenally during the pandemic. That’s a real loss for Australia IMO.

No matter who wins on election night I always feel so blessed to live in a democracy like we do, especially with the atrocities happening across the world.

It’s also worth noting that the Labor primary vote also fell compared to the last election (maybe it will change with postals and WA) but that’s unreal. 

Really shocked that the UAP and One Nation didn’t have a stronger night, they ran a huge anti-vax, freedom movement campaign and barely had anything to show. Guess it’s just a very vocal, very small minority. 

I do wonder if the Teals are able to build on this incredible and unprecedented debut. 

1 hour ago, Chemist said:

It looks like they might just scrape over the majority without needing anyone :rip: 

Thrilled by this result. A huge win for climate policy in this country, and also a healthy blow to two party politics.

a WIN. There is hope in this world :gaycat6:

The left in Australia definitely had a great night with the greens doing so well and I'm stoked for that. But the most remarkable part of this result for me is the revolt of the political center against the right wing.

So many wealthy, extremely safe liberal seats completely abandoned the liberal party in favor of educated women who offered progressive social values, integrity, strong action on climate alongside moderate economic positions. Very very interesting and not something I'm seeing much elsewhere in the world.

I grew up in the seat of Curtin and I could never have imagined it would vote a liberal out of power. But here we are. It's nuts.

Congrats to all the Australian sistrens regardless of your political preference :clap3:

11 hours ago, Harrier said:

The left in Australia definitely had a great night with the greens doing so well and I'm stoked for that. But the most remarkable part of this result for me is the revolt of the political center against the right wing.

So many wealthy, extremely safe liberal seats completely abandoned the liberal party in favor of educated women who offered progressive social values, integrity, strong action on climate alongside moderate economic positions. Very very interesting and not something I'm seeing much elsewhere in the world.

I grew up in the seat of Curtin and I could never have imagined it would vote a liberal out of power. But here we are. It's nuts.

Labor snatching 4 seats in WA on top of the drama of Curtin's independent flip :jonny: 

2 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

Labor snatching 4 seats in WA on top of the drama of Curtin's independent flip :jonny: 

Yeah, crazy. WA used to be a liberal stronghold, it's a complete reversal mainly thanks to Mark McGowan

22 hours ago, Fetch said:

There was nothing that could be done for the Liberals besides Albanese goofing on the campaign trail. But he was smart enough to basically stay in hiding and let Morrison fall on the sword of the current economic climate.

The Morrison’s response to the pandemic was really unmatched globally (benefitted from being landlocked enormously) and the countries economic rebound was really impressive. I think if the Ukraine/Russia/Oil crisis hadn’t occurred in the months prior then we’d be looking at a much different election night. Any government in this position, with record inflation (and consequently a lowering ‘real wage’) was never going to keep power.

The minor parties remain a nuisance, in that they can enter any election cycle on one or two issues with no costings and very little detail. I hope and pray they don’t hold the balance of power and Labor can govern it’s three years with a clear path to its idea of a stronger and better Australia.

Really sad for Josh Frydenberg, the treasurer behind JobKeeper and JobSeeker which helped Australia phenomenally during the pandemic. That’s a real loss for Australia IMO.

No matter who wins on election night I always feel so blessed to live in a democracy like we do, especially with the atrocities happening across the world.

. The coalition failed on a number of fronts during the pandemic, and yeah the economy bounced back alright but his management of basically every other political issue particularly climate change and womens rights was appalling. Not everything is about the bloody economy, and I think the wider population were thinking beyond ‘bouncing back from the economy’ this weekend. 

also Josh Frydenberg was a disgusting other far right conservative who wanted nothing more than put more money into big cooperations 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.