If Taylor aims for a big Xmas album + huge campaign would she dethrone Mariah Xmas??

Julia Fox

Merry Swiftmas or Merry Careymas  

24 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, Taylor Xmas era would be huge
    • Depends if the album campaign is huge every year
    • I don’t think so xx
    • No but it would be still a strong competitor for Mariah which is difficult to get not everybody has that xx

What do you think? Would she steal Mariah #1's for AIWFCIY every year? Would she outsell her in the long run album-wise?

discuss 

Edited by Julia Fox

That Mariah song is SO OVERDONE

No honestly. AIWFCIY is, like it or not, THAT Christmas pop song. It feels like its own separate entity to Mariah’s discography in a way — it’s just a ******* classic that you can’t exactly ‘replace’ or ‘dethrone’. Like the Macarena. 

Only if you’re braindead or delusional

The album would be the biggest Christmas release since Michael’s, but Mariah would still have the bigger individual song. 

2 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

It feels like its own separate entity to Mariah’s discography in a way — it’s just a ******* classic that you can’t exactly ‘replace’ or ‘dethrone’. Like the Macarena. 

I completely agree. Even a successful Christmas song released in one calendar year isn't guaranteed to stick around the next, let alone decades later like AIWFCIY.

christmas tree farm is cute but nnnn :eli:

maybe a christmassy song with the vibe of lover could be big but I don't think anyone can replace Mariah

I don’t think so :chick3: people love classics 

No, Mariah's song has basically become a staple of Xmas and I doubt it will ever be replaced, Taylor's album may pull decent numbers tho.

No. I think big Christmas songs just happened and a lot of promo would not necessary make something big and AIWFCIY is going to remain the biggest Christmas classic. I think Taylor could aim to has successful Christmas album like Kelly Clarckson

AIWFCIY is Christmas mother. No matter how much Taylor eats it ain’t happening :cm:

Christmas songs take time to even become Christmas hits that might people go to listen to every year. Look at Underneath the Tree for example, it's almost like people discovered the song two or three years ago and it came out in 2011.

But the Christmas classic status takes years, even decades to obtain and it goes beyond aggressive and extensive promo and payola, it just... happens.

I don't know how AIWFCIY became so big, Mariah herself didn't see it coming. It just became what it is and she saw it as an opportunity to make more money and stay in the spotlight so that was when she started to promote it like she does every year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.