LGBTQ poster gets deleted after backlash from Muslims in Canada.

Delirious

A Western University social media post supporting the fight against homophobia included an illustration of two women in hijabs about to kiss – sparking a backlash from London's Muslim community that forced school officials to delete it.

Edited by Delirious

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Delirious

• Bloodflowers.

• mercurialworld

• Protocol

so they removed an anti-homophobia post because.. homophobes complained about it? :clown:

Edited by -brian

Are they dumb? Why would they do that? :rip:

Tell them to **** off and if they don't like it they cannot look

What a shock.

But on the other hand, that illustration sounds really contrived. The type of Arab women who'd kiss each other generally wouldn't be wearing hijabs.

Not Western world fighting Christian fascism for decades only to have it replaced with Islamic fascism with zero pushback, and while fighting (supposedly) for LGBTQ women's rights at that :deadbanana2: :deadbanana2:

All patriarchy, homophobia and transphobia gets thrown under the bus if far-right wing muslim fundamentaliats says so :rip: :rip:

University: Posts anti-homophobia illustration

Homophobes: complains

University: Oops sorry lemme take it down

:psyduck: 

Edited by Talento

2 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Not Western world fighting Christian fascism for decades only to have it replaced with Islamic fascism with zero pushback, and while fighting (supposedly) for LGBTQ women's rights at that :deadbanana2: :deadbanana2:

All patriarchy, homophobia and transphobia gets thrown under the bus if far-right wing muslim fundamentaliats says so :rip: :rip:

CALL IT OUT. **** ALL religion causing things to go so backwards. Idk why gays are so scared to stand up for themselves when so many religions want you DEAD. **** Islam and especially Christianity for causing so much trouble to our existence

9 minutes ago, Nano said:

What a shock.

But on the other hand, that illustration sounds really contrived. The type of Arab women who'd kiss each other generally wouldn't be wearing hijabs.

I mean, Arab LGBTQ women living in MENA region are hardcore feminists that appose hijab while some Arab LGBTQ women in Western countries wear hijab due to cultural identity reasons. It's kind of like gays in Eastern Europe being angry at their position within' their respective society, but as soon as they immigrate to Western Europe where it's a melting pot, they suddenly are very vocal and proud of their culture, identity and roots. Now with LGBTQ women wearing hijab, it is funny to me, especially being a radical atheist, but on the other hand it pisses off far-right wing conservatives the same way LGBTQ people got Christians fuming throughout the whole 20th century (and to some degree today as well, especially in non-Western Christian countries still) so I say to LGBTQ women who wear hijab to rock on and keep them fuming like Madonna making Vatican fume at her peak style :rockon:

Shame on them for giving into the homophobes' pressure.

That being said, I grew up Muslim and I surprisingly actually do know a decent number of lesbian hijabis... they were pressured or forced to wear it but they're still lesbians. On that note, I know a Saudi-American bi girl who had never gotten more from other girls, all hijabis, than while in Saudi, because society was so sex-segregated no one noticed if two girls spent a little too much time together and it was easy to get away with it.

Why would they delete it. Literaply supporting homophobia with that action. 

As if lesbian muslims do not exist. What kind of twisted logic, so upsetting. 

42 minutes ago, -brian said:

so they removed an anti-homophobia post because.. homophobes complained about it? :clown:

omg, exactly this!!! 

I feel like it was very obvious from the start that this would cause backlash, if they weren't ready to stand their ground, while even do it in the first place? Just don't post it then, if you're going to be chickenshit and cave in because religious idiots complained :clown: 

That religion will never support lgbt people, and if you talk about it you become the bigot :rip:

37 minutes ago, Nano said:

What a shock.

Who said so? Representation matters, even those practising judaism with the religious hair and hats have gay and lesbian folks. Such representation matters.  Practising any religion is mot a monolith cult rlnship but a personal relationship with whichever deity. Its time folks equally fight religious extremism. 

Islam is regressive so not surprised 

1 hour ago, LustSpell said:

CALL IT OUT. **** ALL religion causing things to go so backwards. Idk why gays are so scared to stand up for themselves when so many religions want you DEAD. **** Islam and especially Christianity for causing so much trouble to our existence

!!!

I do not respect those who do not respect me. F**k Islam and all religions.

58 minutes ago, Sugden said:

That religion will never support lgbt people, and if you talk about it you become the bigot :rip:

Tbh there is no religion that supports lgbt :giraffe:

Unfortunately The Muslims however are more "active" against them

Canada is one of the most progressive and LGBT friendly countries in the world. Why should their universities adopt principles that are completely alien to their own? This is ridiculous. They need to pick a side, are they battling homophobia or subscribing to it :skull:

1 hour ago, Bloodflowers. said:

i've been thinking about that a lot lately... it's a messed up situation. 

1 hour ago, Nano said:

What a shock.

This! Born & raised Canadian & there’s a style of activism here that conflates westernizing other cultures with progress. There are culturally muslim LGBTQ+ ppl but they’re not wearing hijab. Idk why people make this a homophobia thing. It’s actually xenophobic to misappropriate hijab as a symbol to signal how diverse they are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.