Is Lust for Life (album) underrated?

Bosque

There are a few different Lana albums that people favor. NFR is the critical darling of course, but Tumblr edgelords continue to play Born To Die, hipsters favor Ultraviolence, and even COCC has some admirers. However, LFL often gets lost in the discourse and cited as Lana's worst album. 

While I agree it's a bit bloated, let's not forget that it has 2 stretches of completely flawless songs:

Love

Lust for Life

13 Beaches

Cherry

White Mustang

Summer Bummer

Groupie Love

This sequence of songs is literally flawless and up there with the best moments from NFR. After this it starts to drag, but she finishes the album off expertly:

Heroin

Change

Get Free

By any objective standard, that is 10 flawless songs, more than most pop girls have on their albums. Did this album get judged unfairly because she decided to add some more... controversial songs in the middle part?  

I think it's her second best album ever just based on the strength of these 10 songs. 

Edited by Dephira

It has some discography highlights but overall it's still her most bloated and unfocused work to date. It would have made a great 10 track album.

All of her albums are underrated compared to Ultrabore 

LFL has its listeners, too. I mean, it is currently her 4th most streamed album on Spotify with around 700k daily streams. More than BB, HM and COCC.

I personally don't find myself revisiting it.

Yes. Everything she released after it has been extremely dull which is a shame.

It has its highlights (Love, Lust For Life, White Mustang), but as a whole it just doesn't work for me. Too dozy.

It's problem is that it's very scattered both in sound and in quality. 

All of her other albums have a unified sound and aesthetic, which L4L lacks. And while L4L has some true discography highlights, it also has the worst songs of her career (Roachella, In My Feces).

Yes. I never understood why people consider L4L her worst album because aside from a couple of the middle tracks like you said, the rest of the album is amazing :jonny5:

OP lost me when they said "even COCC has its listeners," when Chemtrails is the real most underrated album of Lana's oeuvre. That being said, if this album was more in the vein of 13 Beaches and Heroin (its two best songs) it would have been amazing and top 3 in her discography :monkey:

Some songs are underrated, like Coachella. I always liked that song.

Absolutely. Everyone loves to hate this album just because it's the cool thing to do. She hit her peak during this era, and has been on a nosedive ever since. Some of the best songs on her last couple albums have been from 2014-2017. It blows my mind that during the LFL era she had over 100 concept demos, and now she's in an endless creative slump

The album would've been great had she said "NO" to her label wanting easy to digest streamable songs and gimmicky collabs and stick to the original space witch concept.

The album ended up bloated, uninspired, with unnecessary features and faceless political songs.

That being said, COCC's best song is a LFL reject so it had its purpose in the end. :michael:

It's underrated if you think that some people think it's an horrible record. It's far from that, it's a great record that has something no other Lana album has: fillers. And the fillers aren't even THAT bad, they just pale in comparison to other tracks on the album, or Lana's discography in general.

Now, imagine an album like this:

01. 13 Beaches

02. Lust for Life (Original Version)

03. Cherry

04. White Mustang

05. God Bless America

06. When the World...

07. The Next Best American Record

08. Yosemite

09. Heroin

10. Change

11. Get Free

You could add a couple of outtakes (Serene Queen/Roses Bloom for You), and you basically have a classic.

Like some people said on here if only some songs were cut. strangely I like all of the songs (some less like beautiful people) but listening to it in full it does drag on. I disagree about it being her worst, I like cocc and blue banisters less.

I personally love it, the first 7 songs are sooooo good

4 minutes ago, TrueBlood said:

It's underrated if you think that some people think it's an horrible record. It's far from that, it's a great record that has something no other Lana album has: fillers. And the fillers aren't even THAT bad, they just pale in comparison to other tracks on the album, or Lana's discography in general.

Now, imagine an album like this:

01. 13 Beaches

02. Lust for Life (Original Version)

03. Cherry

04. White Mustang

05. God Bless America

06. When the World...

07. The Next Best American Record

08. Yosemite

09. Heroin

10. Change

11. Get Free

You could add a couple of outtakes (Serene Queen/Roses Bloom for You), and you basically have a classic.

No “Love”? :dancehall: I think it makes a beautiful opening and it’s a great song. Otherwise I fully agree! It would make a much better album than the one we got.

7 minutes ago, emailmyhearts said:

No “Love”? :dancehall: I think it makes a beautiful opening and it’s a great song. Otherwise I fully agree! It would make a much better album than the one we got.

I really like it, I just think it wouldn't have fit that well with that tracklist, and it belongs more in the "pop" side of the album that's actually the worst part of the record. I couldn't live without its video tho, so it would have made sense as a standalone track.

Yes. It's probably her most diverse record in terms of sound aside from Born to Die.

It is definitely long and could've had some songs cut tho.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.