Music of the Sun - Mixed reviews

A Girl Like Me - Mixed reviews

Good Girl Gone Bad - 72

Rated R - 75

LOUD - 67

Talk That Talk - 64

Unapologetic - 61

ANTI - 73

Most of Riri’s discography leans toward mixed reviews. If ‘poptimism’ was a thing during Rihanna’s more productive years, how would her scores change? Or would they stay the same due to the cohesiveness of some projects being close to 0? 

Music of the Sun - 60

A Girl Like Me - 60

Good Girl Gone Bad - 76

Rated R - 84

LOUD - 79

Talk That Talk - 68

Unapologetic - 71

ANTI:

retrospectively everyone knows she is THAT ***** but it's a divisive first listen so even today it's MC score would only be minimally higher

3 minutes ago, SweetTalker said:

Music of the Sun - Mixed reviews

A Girl Like Me - Mixed reviews

Good Girl Gone Bad - 72

Rated R - 75

LOUD - 67

Talk That Talk - 64

Unapologetic - 61

ANTI - 73

Most of Riri’s discography leans toward mixed reviews. If ‘poptimism’ was a thing during Rihanna’s more productive years, how would her scores change? Or would they stay the same due to the cohesiveness of some projects being close to 0? 

Her metacritic scores lean towards positive, not mixed :rip:  

Una got a lower score because she did that song with Chris Brown, not that it matters too much because it won a grammy for Urban Contemporary album :cm: 

But to answer your question I think they would of been higher with 'poptimism', especially Rated R and Unapologetic. I could also see Loud in the 70s too 

Just now, favorite crime said:

ANTI:

retrospectively everyone knows she is THAT ***** but it's a divisive first listen so even today it's MC score would only be minimally higher

idk it is that kind of messy, experimental yet cohesive album that critics seem to love nowadays

Only ANTI would be higher. The rest... :doc:

They’d be a bit higher, nothing more than 4,5 points at most. Rihanna has the most filler, uncohesive albums out of everyone so I doubt it would be a drastic difference.

She's the reason the term singles artist was born, her albums were really just platforms for new hits to be spammed on radio and destroy iTunes. None of her albums bar Anti deserve critic raise, except maybe the album that had Phresh Off The Runway, that deserved a 90!

LOUD, TTT and Unapologetic are all very uneven listens. Poptimism isn’t going to change that. Smile still got panned by critics because of the same reasons. If anything I would take a few points off LOUD and TTT and give them to Unapologetic. 

Rated R, GGGB and Anti are great albums. I could see Rated R going up to high 70s and ANTI getting a mid 80s. Not sure about GGGB because the narrative behind the album isn’t as strong as the other two. 

13 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

Phresh Off The Runway, that deserved a 90

:rip: 

Only ANTi deserved a score over 80. 

Her new album will get like a 93 anyways. The narrative is already there. 

anti would be significantly higher but the rest would all stay the same because they’re messy, not cohesive, and just not great bodies of work overall i fear. rihanna was never an album artist outside of anti i fear

Rated R would also be higher. That has the same cohesiveness as ANTI in my opinion

Honestly none of her albums pre-Anti are cohesive so poptimism won't change that much.

Only ANTI would be significantly higher. Unapologetic could be in the yellow zone because of the Chris Brown collab

ANTI and Rated R would be the only albums in which it's scores would increase. Maybe GGGB too since it was the "superstar" album.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.