Did TPAB deserve AOTY?

Solaria

Grammy Award for Album of the Year
Awarded for Quality vocal or instrumental recording albums

To Pimp A Butterfly was the most critically acclaimed album of 2015 both by critics and by the general public. It is often considered to be one of the best if not the best 2010s albums. 

Considering the Grammys have to reward the album the MOST quality, was TPAB robbed of this award? Discuss :coffee:

It certainly was rightfully in the running.  Had it won, it would have fully deserved the award. I personally would have voted for that album, but it was not a lock for the win.  

Edited by byzantium

Yes. Absolutely. This was THE album for the culture.

No, the person who won AOTY that year truly deserved it 

Edited by mypaintoyou

Don't make me Google, who won instead?

OT: Yes.

5 minutes ago, truthteller said:

YES

You are the truth teller so it must be true that TPAB was robbed, oh wow

0587052d3ae1399af4b1483803127e6a.gif.a16

it’s probably the album of the millennium so far, so yes. but then again, it’s the Grammy’s. the fact that it was the obvious deserving winner means that it had no chance in hell. :cm:

Yes.

It was actually quite disgusting how it got robbed. It changed the culture and everybody moved, but we know for a fact the Scammies are racist so are we really surprised? 

Funny enough, both recent years Taylor won, it was a blatant robbery against a black artist that either was nominated or got skipped.

To me, Good Kid mAAd City deserved it more. That was truly a cultural reset for rap and 2010s music. It was a competitive year with Random Access Memories, though.

TPAB is obviously a marvelously well made album and has a very important cultural message and would have been a fully deserving winner, easily the best album to win AOTY in the 2010s. That being said, I feel like a lot (notice my wording: a lot, not all) of white liberals who harp on and on about it being robbed are moreso just pressed at how Taylor won and I doubt they've even listened to a Kendrick album in full, much less TPAB. Like, notice how they don't even remotely have the same energy toward GKMC losing Best Rap Album to f**king Macklemore which was truly a crime against humanity :skull: 

Edited by Beyonnaise

Yeah, definitely. Racists and their horsegirl daughers won.

1 minute ago, Beyonnaise said:

To me, Good Kid mAAd City deserved it more. That was truly a cultural reset for rap and 2010s music. It was a competitive year with Random Access Memories, though.

TPAB is obviously a marvelously well made album and has a very important cultural message and would have been a fully deserving winner, easily the best album to win AOTY in the 2010s. That being said, I feel like a lot (notice my wording: a lot, not all) of white liberals who harp on and on about it being robbed are moreso just pressed at how Taylor won and I doubt they've even listened to a Kendrick album in full, much less TPAB. Like, notice how they don't even remotely have the same energy from GKMC losing Best Rap Album to f**king Macklemore which was truly a crime against humanity :skull: 

Speak on it. :clap3:

I remember how it was absolutely infuriating that Yeezus, GKMC, NWTS and MCHG were all in the same category at that. Kendrick was the obvious winner, both in AOTY and in Best Rap Album. Do anybody still listens to Macklemore nowdays? Crickets :skull: 

Kendrick either had no payola or didnt do payola like the winner. We all seen that the scammies love to be “wined and dined”:coffee2:

Thank God he lost to a not terrible album unlike Lemonade :gaycat6:

Obviously. There is no argument against it. 1989 winning was the epitome of racism in the industry. It was the image of mediocrity and no respect in music.

Yes. Racists decided to award their aryan princess and her mediocrity over culture shifting work. 

It was truly the embodiment of twice as hard, half as much. What she represents makes my skin itch. And the fact that so many people go up for her is honestly insulting. 

1 hour ago, Beyonnaise said:

TPAB is obviously a marvelously well made album and has a very important cultural message and would have been a fully deserving winner, easily the best album to win AOTY in the 2010s. That being said, I feel like a lot (notice my wording: a lot, not all) of white liberals who harp on and on about it being robbed are moreso just pressed at how Taylor won and I doubt they've even listened to a Kendrick album in full, much less TPAB. Like, notice how they don't even remotely have the same energy toward GKMC losing Best Rap Album to f**king Macklemore which was truly a crime against humanity :skull: 

:cm:

38 minutes ago, RihFenty20 said:

What she represents makes my skin itch. And the fact that so many people go up for her is honestly insulting. 

The fact that you are actually bothered by her this much :rip:

This was one of the strongest AOTY lineups ever. All 5 nominees won their genre categories. Taylor won Pop Album, Kendrick won Rap Album, Alabama Shakes won Alternative Album, Chris Stapleton won Country Album, and The Weeknd won Urban Contemporary Album. Any of the five would’ve been worthy winners. 

I think Alabama Shakes may actually have been the runner-up, though. They swept all of their other nominations, including Album Engineering. They also fit very well with the Arcade Fire / Beck / Mumford & Sons set of “indie” winners in the 2010s. 

2 hours ago, Lorde Von Vok said:

Funny enough, both recent years Taylor won, it was a blatant robbery against a black artist that either was nominated or got skipped.

Who was that in 2021? 

It's an institution built on top of systemic racism, I'm not shocked at any 'robberies'. 

However, I guess it depends on what the Grammy for AOTY is supposed to mean. TPAB was an instant part of the zeitgeist (so was 1989), but it was also a marvel among fans and critics alike which hadn't been seen since MBDTF. It was the generational gap bridger that was needed. The first post Kanye album to do so in the mainstream. TPAB meant more than any other album that year.

I prefer GKMC but if TPAB won it would've been a well understood win. 

Edited by Wicked

12 minutes ago, Headlock said:

The fact that you are actually bothered by her this much

Sorry that I don’t support racism and the talentless mediocre people that benefit the most from it. :rip:

Just now, RihFenty20 said:

Sorry that I don’t support racism and the talentless mediocre people that benefit the most from it. :rip:

Yes, we all know Taylor is responsible for racism :rip:

Y'all need to come up with something else already. And the other nonsense is just you being pressed, there are plenty who think the same of your Avon sales lady :toofunny2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.