After 20 Years, Apple has discontinued the iPod

Gwendolyn

Apple has announced that it’s discontinuing the iPod Touch, the last remaining model in its lineup of portable music players. In a news post on Tuesday, the company says that it will sell the current Touch “while supplies last.”

While Apple may be done with making dedicated music players, the company says that “the spirit of iPod lives on” in all of its devices that play music, such as the iPhone, iPad, and HomePod Mini.

The iPod Touch going away marks the end of an era. As Apple notes, it introduced the first iPod “over 20 years ago.” The original FireWire-equipped model acted as just a portable music player, and Apple made models that were pretty much exclusively for listening to audio up until 2017, when it discontinued the iPod Nano and Shuffle. While the iPod Touch has been embraced by some iPod enthusiasts as the new classic music player, it also found a following for those who wanted an iPhone-like experience but didn’t actually need a phone.

While the iPod Touch has had its fans, the writing’s been on the wall for a while. The model discontinued on Tuesday, the seventh-gen iPod Touch was introduced in 2019, alongside the iPhone 7. The sixth-gen model launched in 2015. Despite people like me crying for a simplistic music player designed for the age of streaming, it was clear that Apple wasn’t looking to spend much time on the iPod.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/10/23065412/apple-ipod-touch-canceled-discontinued

Edited by Gwendolyn

And I continue to use my iPod Classic daily. All formats have their place.

RIP to this legend, still have my 2nd gen iTouch :alexz:

Actually thought this happened since :rip: 

With streaming and 64gb becoming the baseline memory for phones, a dedicated device isn't necessary.

5 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

And I continue to use my iPod Classic daily. All formats have their place.

I remember my brother having the iPod Nano like 11 years ago :deadbanana2: It's the right call to discontinue it tbh it's been kind of pointless since the mid 2010s with streaming being available on iphone

Thought this happened a decade ago. 

now I want to find my MP3 player, I have it somewhere :katie2:

So sad. iPod Touch 3rd gen was my first iPod, had a Zune before that. :toofunny3:

My iPod Nano 5th gen broke this year, oh lord, I had so many memories and tracks on that thing :jonny2:

Understandable they would discontinue them by now, when I got mine like 12+ years ago, our phones could barely contain any songs, but with Spotify and everything... yeah.

Although I would've kept using mine :monkey:

I still utilize my iPod in my car. That's my baby! I have damn near all of Nicki's verses only on it. Idk what I would do without it lol

Somewhere at my parents there's a drawer with all my ipods and ipod touches :emofish:

but yah, kind of a relic of the past. i switched from files to spotify in 2016 and never looked back.

37 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

the seventh-gen iPod Touch was introduced in 2019, alongside the iPhone 7.

the iPhone 7 was launched in 2016, I'm pretty sure

Купить apple iPod classic 160Gb Silver по выгодной цене в Уфе

:jonny3: The end of an era

:gaycat6:

Spoiler

I first used grindr in an iPod 4

Edited by Zeferino

About time. When it first came out I remember that everyone wanted one! 

vbcazs.gif

I’d give anything to have an iPod Classic again at a decent price :sosad: they’re icons! 

• ATRL Moderator

Okay but can they discontinue their delays

I know it's out of their hands don't come for me

38 minutes ago, Khal said:

With streaming and 64gb becoming the baseline memory for phones, a dedicated device isn't necessary.

It is if you are an Android user and want your music to sync with iTunes sadly 

• ATRL Moderator

Expected but still a bit sad that this day has finally come. The first generation iPod Touch was my first iPod so this is especially sad for me. :'( 

b000jo3y1o-5.jpg

20 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

time to focus on pushing out mediocre iphones each year

93FD53E1-700F-4867-A61F-DE4C25581BB5.thu

They don’t need to focus. The phones sell themselves. Go get yours. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Link said:

They don’t need to focus. The phones sell themselves. Go get yours. 

i'm good. they add a few features (or take away a few) and call it a new iphone. they haven't been good for a while now.

93FD53E1-700F-4867-A61F-DE4C25581BB5.thu

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.