What went wrong with "Prisoner" (Miley & Dua)?

naval23

Dua was at the top of her game and Miley just released "Plastic Hearts" which had a decent #2 debut on the Billboard 200.

What went wrong with this collab?

It’s a radio-friendly, kinda boring song. It did well for what it is.

The worst song on PH, such a shame Dua stole it though.

Edited by Squall

Literally Christmas  :deadbanana2:

Anything relesed after Nov 20 is basically blocked for a bunch of  Xmas songs

The song could had been bigger at different time, it was Top 10 at the Uk & the song cross already 500 million at Spotify

8 minutes ago, Squall said:

This sends me :hoetenks:

Like she couldn't let Miley keep it 

Bad timing tbh. It's way better than that messy Megan collab.

It was kinda boring, I agree. 

it’s okay but i think Olivia Newton-John’s Physical is extremely overused as a sample/reference in pop songs :keir: and i think other people think so too

Nothing went wrong, it was massive hit in Europe and Miley's biggest Plastic Hearts era hit, currently #1 on her Spotify page :clap3:

Not this thread being right above this:

in that case, not much went wrong.

1 hour ago, Squall said:

1 hour ago, naval23 said:

This sends me :hoetenks:

Like she couldn't let Miley keep it 

I’m so confused, how did she steal it when it’s literally on Miley’s album? 

Miley’s hitmaker days are gone, RCA is a terrible label, plus the song is kinda meh and boring, it was obvious it wouldn’t smash 

4 minutes ago, vinster13 said:

Dua added it to FN Moonlight edition and now Prisoner’s SEA + TEA count to the album on the billboard 200 instead of PH

4 minutes ago, vinster13 said:

About 1 month into the chart run, Dua Lipa decided to tack on "Prisoner" to her Deluxe Edition of "Future Nostalgia"

Rules only allow the song to contribute to 1 album - the one that gets streamed more and Prisoner was being streamed more from "Future Nostalgia" not "Plastic Hearts". So initially in the 1st month, Miley was getting the Prisoner streams but when Dua decided to add it to her album too, Miley lost all the future streams of "Prisoner" which actually could've contributed more to her SPS sales. 

it did ok btw, without Dua Lipa's name + her playlisting power the song would tank so hard tho

I think it's one of those cases where the song sounds too much like it was written specifically to be a hit. Too many cooks resulting in it being too streamlined, too polished, too note-perfect, not enough raw energy to match the subject matter of the track. It needed a moment where the lyrics or the vocals get weird and more unhinged. Imagine if Miley shouted shouting "let me free" towards the end while a sample of "I Was Made for Loving You Baby" plays. It needed an iconic moment, as it is it's just a really competent pop track but it doesn't have that SPARK moment.

11 minutes ago, Galang said:

Nobody cares about Miley

This. Miley hasn’t had a real hit in almost 10 years and had like 2 other projects flop before this. Dua is hot right now but even she needs time and support to have her own hits so she can’t perform miracles for someone as far gone as Miley and with a mediocre song like this 

1 minute ago, brainmaniac said:

This. Miley hasn’t had a real hit in almost 10 years and had like 2 other projects flop before this. Dua is hot right now but even she needs time and support to have her own hits so she can’t perform miracles for someone as far gone as Miley and with a mediocre song like this 

Plastic Heart is at like 2.3m units WW and growing healthily, she's not as far gone as you may think. She does need a bona fide smash though.

2 minutes ago, Protocol said:

Plastic Heart is at like 2.3m units WW and growing healthily, she's not as far gone as you may think. She does need a bona fide smash though.

Yeah, I heard the album did bit better elsewhere, but I was referring to the US since the OP had mentioned Billboard, but agreed that someone in Miley’s position or anyone who has had commercial setbacks need a strong undeniable smash for a comeback. Definitely much stronger than Prisoner. 

1 minute ago, brainmaniac said:

Yeah, I heard the album did bit better elsewhere, but I was referring to the US since the OP had mentioned Billboard, but agreed that someone in Miley’s position or anyone who has had commercial setbacks need a strong undeniable smash for a comeback. Definitely much stronger than Prisoner. 

Oh yeah, she desperately needs a smash in America. I don't know if she has it in her. "Midnight Sky" was pretty good and radio rejected it. It would have to be one of those once in a career smashes. But if anyone from her generation is going to have a Cher-like trajectory of ups and downs it makes sense for it to be Miley.

24 minutes ago, Galang said:

Nobody cares about Miley

This 

+ it's the biggest hit from the Plastic Hearts era lol

58 minutes ago, Gerardo said:

Dua added it to FN Moonlight edition and now Prisoner’s SEA + TEA count to the album on the billboard 200 instead of PH

Mess :rip: 

It's not a good song + there was no point in Miley promoting it when all the streaming points would go to Dua's album.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.