The moment Janet Jackson became a legend?

Solaria

January 8, 1990. The day Escapade debuted. :gaynetcat4:

SHE is NOT a legend… she is Britney of the 80’s … good PR , dance and famous brother and family name … and even SB proved it

13 hours ago, naval23 said:

When she scored a 7 week #1 and the biggest female 1st week sales of all time with 600k+ debut of All For You - over 15+ years into her career :jonnycat:

and became the first female artist in history to have a #1 album and #1 single in at least three decades.

Thus far Britney and Madonna (in that order) have achieved it for females.

But I'm thinking Velvet Rope era tbh. After Velvet rope where she traded in commercial hits for artistic strides, Madonna had Ray of light and Whitney had My love is your love.

2 hours ago, Winged said:

SHE is NOT a legend… she is Britney of the 80’s … good PR , dance and famous brother and family name … and even SB proved it

she is a legend, i'm sorry but get ur facts right

When she released No Sleep and revolutionized R&B once again :WAP:

when she debut this character 

5a92dae89650fba197f53723cdc265913cca8ee2

Janet isn’t a legend. Just look at her horrible recurrent streams and sales to see why.

12 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

She literally was deemed a legend by the end of the Rhythm Nation 1814 era. She received the MTV Vanguard Award in 1990 and in the same year, she had received eight awards in one night at the Billboard Music Awards :skull:

Not sure that constitutes as a legend. She was undeniably iconic after RH1814. I think many would list All for you but I think Velvet Rope was it because prior eras were hits driven whereas Velvet Rope was the era where she pushed herself to the artistic ceiling and broke through nad while the sales declined 50% she still had hits that are blueprints.

I get so lonely.

What about

Together again which became her ultimate smash of that era and it was artistically deep but also universal. That was perfection in balance.

Justice for go deep

8 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

She held the record of 500k in the 90s. AFY was released in 2001 and Britney held the record with oops in 2000

ot: 2001

if I’m not mistaken her and Whitney cemented their legend status around the same time. Madonna did it in 2000 and Mariah in 2005

I get why many say AFY since that was a defining era but I'm thinking Velvet Rope really cemented her beyond her time and as an undeniable blueprint who didn't have to chase commercial success hits but could take a risk and bare her soul and still accomplish her assignment.

vQnJPD0.gif

When she performed That's the Way Love Goes/If at the VMAs.

Thinking Of You
1 hour ago, slw84 said:

Not sure that constitutes as a legend.

You don’t understand. She received the Vanguard Award “four” years into her career :skull:

The only recipients of that award at the time were The Beatles, David Bowie, Michael, and some other old white men who were already deemed as legends. 

Edited by Thinking Of You

1 hour ago, Thinking Of You said:

You don’t understand. She received the Vanguard Award “four” years into her career :skull:

The only recipients of that award at the time were The Beatles, David Bowie, Michael, and some other old white men who were already deemed as legends. 

Ok, that's fine.

3 hours ago, D.M.F said:

Janet isn’t a legend. Just look at her horrible recurrent streams and sales to see why.

mxahtXd.thumb.gif.fe1ab670b5692a969b22b8

5 hours ago, Winged said:

"How can I make this about Britney Spears :gaycatina1:"

Your comment is ridiculous :dies:

1 hour ago, Thinking Of You said:

madonna got it in 3 and she's a legend so this only proves she's a legend too

23 minutes ago, Armani? said:

mxahtXd.thumb.gif.fe1ab670b5692a969b22b8

and then has da nerve to call this woman a legend LOL

don't make me laugh 

Janet is a legend and y'all will have to deal

5 hours ago, Winged said:

wow Britney has a famous brother? Is he hot?

what was brits family name?

Janets sb was the Big Bang of YouTube and the consequent shift in the music industry thereafter. Legend tingz 

Thinking Of You
4 minutes ago, dabunique said:

madonna got it in 3 and she's a legend so this only proves she's a legend too

There’s no denying that Madonna is a legend but her getting it in a shorter time isn’t surprising considering her, erm…

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.