Hikaru Utada's lyrics go "viral" for being.. interesting

Rev8

17 hours ago, scenekiller said:

Not a robotic American pop star KNOCK OFF with FLAT vocals having charisma and a captivating aura :bibliahh: raise your standards

American pop stars WISH they were Koda, Ayumi and Namie, stay tf mad! + the they/them chanteuX wishes they had 1% of those girls' beauty, :foxaylove2:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• Newt

• fauxtography

• oilheiress

She made up for it by singing the kingdom Hearts songs.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:39 PM, Frozen99 said:

the songs sound so dated :rip: the lyrics are super cringe, i thought she was like a japanese björk .. was about to listen to fantom :lmao:

They are dated. They're from 2004-08. 

The lyrics are AMAZING, not madona fans laughing when Utada has more talent in her toenail than madona entire existence 

After seeing how people talk about her here and hearing a few songs I was not expecting this...

aubrey1objn1v4sq1.gif

Just now, skankle said:

After seeing how people talk about her here and hearing a few songs I was not expecting this...

aubrey1objn1v4sq1.gif

Utada isn't a singles artists, she creates an album that is truly meant to be a full experience. You're entitled to your opinion, but she's not the type of artist that can be written off by listening to a handful of songs :michael:. The discography is incredibly versatile for a pop artist

The Bjork comparisons are absurd. Notice how the only people bringing this notion up are those who disagree? Who is even making this claim, besides 1 or 2 stans somewhere on the site? They are not alike, beyond making versatile pop music 

Also, you can take any artist and isolate certain lyrics from a discography that sound odd. Many from the video are quirky and enjoyable in the context of the song as a whole :michael: I've always like how bizzare her English lyrics can be; it's creative and unique. Even if it's not everyone's cup of tea 

On 5/4/2022 at 7:04 PM, scenekiller said:

This take… :bibliahh: :bibliahh: Namie’s best album doesn’t even compare to Utada’s song about a ******* stuffed bear 

Experimentation? You mean doing the same exact music trends (yet worse) as American pop stars, 3 years too late? Please spare me :bibliahh:

Don't worry about her sis, she RUNS into every Utada thread to stir the pot. She's got a victim complex and thinks the Little Hikkis have Namie on their minds 24/7, when the reality is far from it :mandown:

Just report her dkfkalsjd

18 minutes ago, Zaynsus said:

During my 9 to 5, I'm thinking 6 and 9s

music-headphones.gif

The way Utada was horny out of their mind while writing this song. I Stan :katie2:

On 5/4/2022 at 8:31 PM, popmusicisdead said:

well for one thing Namie doesn't even write her own songs. she has zero artistry. basically the Japanese Rihanna. you can't compare her discography to a singer-songwriter li :rip:

o.t. the English lyrics are messy because she used the same writing style as her Japanese songs. it just doesn't translate well to English.

this is also why the English KH songs have more simplified lyrics than the originals. just compare the lyrics of Passion to Sanctuary.

You can when Utada’s discography and lyrics are truly horrific and despite not writing, Namie’s albums in her prime run are incredibly strong, she was constantly evolving, and she’s been dubbed by critics as the Japanese Janet and Queen of JPop for that reason. 

It doesn’t matter if you’re a writer when you produce lyrics like those in the OP :rip: 

Edited by suburbannature

On 5/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, Mythology said:

Hotel Lobby is my favorite

Taste. And Animato.

Their lyrics have always been quirky. For a pop star, Utada has always given us something interesting. They remind me a bit of John Grant that way. :bam:

Edited by The7thStranger

On 5/4/2022 at 5:34 PM, Newt said:

Half of these are excellent with context; notice how they skip around the songs :toofunny2: The born again Christian verse is one of my favorite lyrics. The dramatics from the bitter girls asldksjaldkj

Her English music lyrics as a whole are so incredibly fun and playful. I admire her drive to do things her own way and think outside the box, unlike many lessor pop artists. Not every song will resonate with everyone, but that was never the point 

Especially since animato is the best song of all time 

easy breezy is the only suspect one tbh 

I don't know why people are always pitting J-Pop queens against each other. I love Namie but it's not like her lyrics are any better lol. 

Badabada Boom Badabing Bada Boom!
Tell me what you need and I'll give it to you, boo

:coffee2:

Edited by KremlinChaos

Wait not this thread being a stan war :ahh:

TITO is an iconic album and I used to be obssessed, this tweet just made me want to revisit all the bops :katie2:

Hunnies if you’re gay burn it up like a gay parade has really stuck with me since I learned this was a lyric :ahh: :ahh: 

QXDwUd9.gif

These lyrics are terrrriblllleee lol,.Not because of what it says about the gays, but they're just so cringe & like elementary or something.

Exodus is one of the best records of all time :alexz: and I will not accept any slander! :redface:

The 6 and 9s lyrics is kinda genius tbh:deadbanana4:

5 hours ago, Inverted said:

They are dated. They're from 2004-08. 

yeah and they definitely sound like that

6 hours ago, KremlinChaos said:

I don't know why people are always pitting J-Pop queens against each other. I love Namie but it's not like her lyrics are any better lol. 

:coffee2:

:ahh:

Namie? Lyrics? In what world???? She's the jpop JLO and her contributions to jpop are looking 20 years younger than she actually is.

8 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

:ahh:

Namie? Lyrics? In what world???? She's the jpop JLO and her contributions to jpop are looking 20 years younger than she actually is.

The lies. Her Japanese lyrics from S19B and early 00s are gorgeous. 

Utada could never make that kind of quality with her corny, watered-down self. 

i just knew easy breezy would be mentioned :ahh:

9 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

The lies. Her Japanese lyrics from S19B and early 00s are gorgeous. 

Utada could never make that kind of quality with her corny, watered-down self. 

Ok, but if we're allowed to pick favorites and not just quotes from Feel and _Gene(r)ic then picking Utada's worst from her english music is not fair. :deadbanana2:

Utada is an amazing lyracists. Whatever crackpipe she was smoking on TITO and Exodus doesn't count

Namie has never served this kind of QUALITY. (Though baby don't cry is one of my fave songs of all time)

Just now, fauxtography said:

Ok, but if we're allowed to pick favorites and not just quotes from Feel and _Gene(r)ic then picking Utada's worst from her english music is not fair. :deadbanana2:

Utada is an amazing lyracists. Whatever crackpipe she was smoking on TITO and Exodus doesn't count

Namie has never served this kind of QUALITY. (Though baby don't cry is one of my fave songs of all time)

Utada's whiny, generic Adele cosplay meets JPop is not quAliTy. It doesn't matter if she's a writer if the stuff she produces is...what it is.

Namie's experimentation and influence with Sweet 19 Blues, Concentration 20, Genius 2000, Style, Love Enhanced, the covers EP >>>

Even her last LP had gems like the Sophie bop. She's the only one of the J-Pop girls to truly serve quality despite Utada fans living in some kind of alternate reality where she's a Bjork alternative chanteuse. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.